Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM

17 posts, read 33,656 times

Advertisements

If one were to live in Highlands, Uptown, Downtown, or Capitol Hill areas, what would the commute be like going to work at the University of Colorado Hospitals in Aurora? What about Rose Medical Center, and Denver Hospital? Morning drive will be before 6:00am, so I assume there will not be traffic, but the evening commute will be after 6:00pm.

My guess is going to Aurora would be the longest commute and it looks like going straight down E. Colfax Avenue is the most direct; is that a street with tons or traffic lights and/or traffic? Could you just as easily take another East-West route? Would going from downtown to Aurora in the morning and returning in the evening be considered a reverse commute, or do a lot of people take this route during rush hour? Just trying to figure out if it is crazy to live closer in town if working on the east side of the city. Which hospital we will be at will change monthly, so it isn't like the drive will always be to Aurora.

I have read mixed thoughts on living in Aurora, and it seems silly to live there when that is not where work will be everyday. Love the idea of living in a area within walking distance to restaurants, bars, parks, etc.. which is why the thought was in town or Capitol Hill. I threw Highlands in the mix, but think that is really pushing the distance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Hale would be optimal

1. Hale (Rose) is optimal.
2. I would not rule out Highland, West Highland, Berkeley, Sunnyside. But you should do some test drives.
3. At 0600, I-70 might be faster than Colfax.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Uptown or City Park would be best. 17th is faster than Colfax; took it from Uptown to Children's for years. I think 14th (or 13th, can't remember, they are one way) is another option but has more lights.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM

We will be in Denver next month for 3 days to find a place to live. This will be the only trip before actual move, so time is tight. My goal is to figure out what areas to focus on and if there is time, I will check other areas also.

If drive time were not an issue, a loft in Lodo or apartment in Capitol Hill would be preferred, or even Highlands. This is only going by what I am reading here as well as many other online sites. I might be really off base with what I think of each neighborhood, but since I have never been to Denver, I have to go with what I read!!

Idlewile, any idea how long that drive would take? I understand the time of day as well as traffic issues would vary that time; just looking for a good estimate. I have checked google maps for a few locations, but don't know how accurate that is for Denver.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM

It's not long really. On the numbered streets I think I could do it in 12 min in the middle of the day. Maybe it was 20 min from the hospital to Uptown at 5:15. Not bad at all really, decent option for where to live for those like you who are working on the medical campus.

But never take Colfax during the heart of rush hour or if there's any kind of construction.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey318 View Post
If one were to live in Highlands, Uptown, Downtown, or Capitol Hill areas, what would the commute be like going to work at the University of Colorado Hospitals in Aurora? What about Rose Medical Center, and Denver Hospital? Morning drive will be before 6:00am, so I assume there will not be traffic, but the evening commute will be after 6:00pm.
The commute to University Hospital is pretty miserable on colfax and would be worse from the west side of denver. most people i know who work there live in stapleton or park hill. These neighborhoods are fairly central to all the denver hospitals. From downtown or highlands, Denver Health would be the easiest commute, you could bike straight down the cherry creek bike path. Rose is not so bad, but I hate driving on colorado blvd.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,429 times
I have taken the university shuttle between CU's downtown campus and the hospital complex during the work day, and it takes the better part of 30 minutes from Capitol Hill via Colfax. After 6pm coming back seems to be just as busy. The pre-6AM might be lighter traffic, but some of those traffic lights are not timed correctly, so you never really just *glide* down Colfax at any hour of the day

Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Ok, I was thinking Capitol Hill to the Aurora campus would be more like 20 minutes; did Google map get that one wrong? So living further west would obviously mean a longer commute :-(

Really don't want to live that close to the hospital as we would prefer the more city feel and not live in the burbs. Especially since not every month will be at the Aurora campus. Are there areas I am missing that have the same amenities-restaurants, bars, retail, etc.. within walking distance?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM

It is 20 min from Capitol Hill, just don't take Colfax. If I were you, based on your desire for restaurants etc. target Capitol Hill, Uptown, Congress Park. Park Hill too, even closer but maybe not as much entertainment right outside your door.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM

Oh and city park south too, that gives you shopping and eats on Colfax and direct access to 17th for a straight shot to the campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver