Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The Wal-Marts are coming. The Wal-Marts are coming.
One more than two. Three. Chambers Rd.
The one on Parker Rd is in unincorporated Arapahoe County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Looking for liberal,fashion,educated, beautiful people and walkable...Cherry Creek North is the closest hood you will find to trendy West LA..it's commonly refered to as The Rodeo Drive of the Rockies.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM

459 posts, read 807,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
One more than two. Three. Chambers Rd.
The one on Parker Rd is in unincorporated Arapahoe County.
..and neighborhood markets are essentially supermarkets and not really full walmarts (They even have one in downtown Chicago). Also does not change the fact that those walmarts are on the fringes of Denver in the more suburban areas just like where the bastion of liberalism in Oregon (Portland) puts their Targets and Walmarts.

This is getting way off topic. Yes we are socially liberal and no we are not fiscally liberal compared to the coasts. That fiscal conservatism is changing as more people move in from other areas.

Fashion wise Colorado casual makes California casual seem like dressing up. For the most part we do not really care about fashion, but at least in the core of the city we have lots of other cultural things going on (Lounges, wine bars, art gallery's, local music, etc.) You just have to know where to look, and the local free weekly Westword will give you a good intro, and from going to a few of their recommendations you will find other things to do beyond that. We will not have the depth in those categories that LA has because we are significantly smaller, but we generally will have the variety.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 06-18-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea View Post
Where are you in LA? If West Hollywood, then Denver seems conservative. If you're way east, say in El Monte, then Denver's liberal.

There aren't the LA type strip malls here, because people walk in Denver. The suburbs are another story, full of power centers like the Inland Empire. Kids soccer isn't big, in fact I've never seen an organized game or practice in Denver. Colorado Springs is probably what you're describing. Nice and super conservative there too.

The nightlife is strong for such a small city. I'd venture that downtown Denver has more going on than downtown LA.
You say "...Kids soccer isn't big..." because "...you never seen an organized game or practice in Denver.." and you call that a "fact". What kind of logic is that? It only shows that you do not know this area, or never leave your house, or never been to Denver, or never get off the highways because Soccer is a big recreational activity in Denver and all over the metro area, especially for children. Why do you think we spent all this money to built all these soccer fields? SFC › Soccer Fields of Colorado and the list for the City of Denver: SFC › Fields

I live near the largest soccer complex in the area, Lutz/Stenger Sports Complex in Arvada, and I watch many of a game. There are 19 Soccer Fields on about 75 acres and there are two new indoor field houses built by the recreational district. There area additional 40 acres for Ball Fields and Bleachers. There is another 18 acres for a connecting park and a 2 acre lake. Get away from the TV and the computer and take a ride west on 58th, past Kipling, and you will be amazed. Oh, stay away from the area on a weekend because the area is packed with people; the parking lots are filled and you will see many a parent watching their children enjoying this activity.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-18-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
My impression of Denver is that, while it is very Democratic in elections and has a good deal of "progressive" people, that the general atmosphere of the city (and metro area, for that matter) is relatively hands-off, "to each his/her/own" in terms of values. People aren't particularly pushy about their personal beliefs.

It's interesting, because Colorado has become quite polarized in its electoral politics, with Boulder being seen as the epicenter of "liberal" Colorado and Colorado Springs that of "conservative" Colorado. The Denver metro seems to be somewhere in between, with the city being strongly Dem, the southern suburbs quite Republican, and other suburbs more balanced/mixed between the two parties. Of course, there are also a lot of Independents in Colorado who don't fit neatly into either party, so to call Colorado "polarized" in its politics, while true to some extent, is misleading, because its a relative minority of the population that is "extreme" in views, on either side.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,660 times
I never got why the general consensus seems that "Denver's suburbs are republican" because the only suburban county that votes red is Douglas.

Southern suburbs also includes Arapahoe County, which is pretty blue.

And I think Denver is a lot more than just your average middle-American city... Nothing like KC or OKC.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I never got why the general consensus seems that "Denver's suburbs are republican" because the only suburban county that votes red is Douglas.

And I think Denver is a lot more than just your average middle-American city... Nothing like KC or OKC.
I thought Arapahoe was a "swing" county? (Same with Jefferson).

Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post

Kansas City always seemed to me like the city most like Denver.

And Arapahoe County is not blue. In fact, most of suburban Denver is traditionally Republican, but has become more competitive over the last few elections. If you look at voter registration, Jefferson County leans Republican, Douglas County is overwhelmingly Republican, Adams leans Democrat, Denver is overwhelmingly Democratic, and Arapahoe and Broomfield Counties leans very slightly to the right.

http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elec...artyStatus.pdf

In fact, in 2004 President Bush won every metro area county except for Adams and Denver (although President Obama won every county except for Douglas). So all of that means that while the city of Denver itself is pretty liberal, the suburbs are very competitive, and lean a bit to the right.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I thought Arapahoe was a "swing" county? (Same with Jefferson).
The Buzz: Governor Hickenlooper Has Mile-High Approval in Denver Metro Area; Obama Below 50 Percent

That was an April poll measuring President Obama's approval numbers in the metro Denver counties.

In Denver he was at a whopping 71%. But in Jefferson and Arapahoe Counties, he was at only 36 percent and 42 percent, respectively. Broomfield County was at 25%. Douglas and Adams Counties were both at 42%.

So that's a pretty good picture of where the Denver area is politically. It's like a blue donut hole surrounded by reddish-purple. Adams County has been getting more conservative, and Arapahoe and Jeffereson Counties have been getting more evenly divided.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Everyone has their own take on Denver's "liberality". That says a lot in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No. 30 years ahead. for example: Crocs. For example: Subarus. For example: shorts year 'round. For example: facial hair on men.
You think Denver invented the fad of facial hair on men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You say "...Kids soccer isn't big..." because "...you never seen an organized game or practice in Denver.." and you call that a "fact". What kind of logic is that? It only shows that you do not know this area, or never leave your house, or never been to Denver, or never get off the highways because Soccer is a big recreational activity in Denver and all over the metro area, especially for children. Why do you think we spent all this money to built all these soccer fields? SFC › Soccer Fields of Colorado and the list for the City of Denver: SFC › Fields

I live near the largest soccer complex in the area, Lutz/Stenger Sports Complex in Arvada, and I watch many of a game. There are 19 Soccer Fields on about 75 acres and there are two new indoor field houses built by the recreational district. There area additional 40 acres for Ball Fields and Bleachers. There is another 18 acres for a connecting park and a 2 acre lake. Get away from the TV and the computer and take a ride west on 58th, past Kipling, and you will be amazed. Oh, stay away from the area on a weekend because the area is packed with people; the parking lots are filled and you will see many a parent watching their children enjoying this activity.

Livecontent
Add to that we have a MLS team that gets well attended games. I work in a pediatric office and many of our patients play soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
My impression of Denver is that, while it is very Democratic in elections and has a good deal of "progressive" people, that the general atmosphere of the city (and metro area, for that matter) is relatively hands-off, "to each his/her/own" in terms of values. People aren't particularly pushy about their personal beliefs.

It's interesting, because Colorado has become quite polarized in its electoral politics, with Boulder being seen as the epicenter of "liberal" Colorado and Colorado Springs that of "conservative" Colorado. The Denver metro seems to be somewhere in between, with the city being strongly Dem, the southern suburbs quite Republican, and other suburbs more balanced/mixed between the two parties. Of course, there are also a lot of Independents in Colorado who don't fit neatly into either party, so to call Colorado "polarized" in its politics, while true to some extent, is misleading, because its a relative minority of the population that is "extreme" in views, on either side.
I don't think Colorado is polarized. Colorado is purple, and has been for many years. We elect a lot of Democratic governors, 4 Dems and 1 Rep since I've lived here in 1982; lots of Dem and Rep senators and representatives.

Approx. 1/3 of Coloradans are resistered "unaffiliated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver