Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM

66 posts, read 161,308 times

Advertisements

Still trying to figure out which vehicle will best suit my needs here in Colorado.

Surprisingly, a friend recently gave me the "Nose-in-the-air" sign when I spoke about how Subaru seems to be the car of choice for this state. (I know that distinction goes to BMWs, Lexus, etc.)

His assessment of what he perceived a Subaru owner to be really threw me for a loop. I believed Subaru to be a "car of the average person" type vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM

81 posts, read 475,064 times
Subaru = far and away, the worst drivers in Colorado.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapeas View Post
Subaru = far and away, the worst drivers in Colorado.
Paint with a broad brush much?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Paint with a broad brush much?
See, now normally, I'd totally agree with your point of view in that, holy cow, could this guy make more broad generalizations. I get that, I really do. But I'm on the road for my job quite a bit and therefore, feel that I have a pretty good sense of the driving scene here in Denver (can't speak to other cities in Colorado). You can see the other thread that I made re: driving in Denver.

With that said, it, at first, confused me, then as time has gone on the last 3 years, become painfully obvious, that Subaru drivers are consistently the most oblivious to things around them than any other make of car. Why this is? Not a damn clue. But there, literally, has not been a single Subaru that I have been behind, while driving in the left hand lane, that will get over to the right when not passing traffic. Also, they consistently brake when approaching a merge (whether coming onto the highway or just in the right hand lane). Lastly, you're not being safe when you're driving 60 in a 65 mph zone...in fact, you're making thing dangerous for everyone else.

No clue why this is, but it's one of the oddest things that both my wife and I have noticed since we moved here 3 years ago. :shrug:

Sorry if I offended you, just my observations having put over 80k miles in during those 3 years.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
See, now normally, I'd totally agree with your point of view in that, holy cow, could this guy make more broad generalizations. I get that, I really do. But I'm on the road for my job quite a bit and therefore, feel that I have a pretty good sense of the driving scene here in Denver (can't speak to other cities in Colorado). You can see the other thread that I made re: driving in Denver.

With that said, it, at first, confused me, then as time has gone on the last 3 years, become painfully obvious, that Subaru drivers are consistently the most oblivious to things around them than any other make of car. Why this is? Not a damn clue. But there, literally, has not been a single Subaru that I have been behind, while driving in the left hand lane, that will get over to the right when not passing traffic. Also, they consistently brake when approaching a merge (whether coming onto the highway or just in the right hand lane). Lastly, you're not being safe when you're driving 60 in a 65 mph zone...in fact, you're making thing dangerous for everyone else.

No clue why this is, but it's one of the oddest things that both my wife and I have noticed since we moved here 3 years ago. :shrug:

Sorry if I offended you, just my observations having put over 80k miles in during those 3 years.
You didn't offend me. I've never owned a Subaru and currently have 2 Hondas. I was just commenting on the generalizations you made.

You also have to keep in mind that Subarus are extremely prevalent in Colorado. Drive around Denver and you may see a hundred of them or more in one day. Head down to Dallas-Fort Worth and you may not observe 100 of them in a week.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You didn't offend me. I've never owned a Subaru and currently have 2 Hondas. I was just commenting on the generalizations you made.

You also have to keep in mind that Subarus are extremely prevalent in Colorado. Drive around Denver and you may see a hundred of them or more in one day. Head down to Dallas-Fort Worth and you may not observe 100 of them in a week.
Oh, totally agree that Subaru = Denver's choice of car. That is what makes this even stranger is that said 'broad brush' really applies, even though there are (what feels like) billions of them around here.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
Still trying to figure out which vehicle will best suit my needs here in Colorado.
1. Do you have to get to work every morning even if we have a foot of snow?
Then you need a high-centered, 4/all-wheel drive vehicle with studded tires.

2. If not, then you need:
a. sedan/coupe
b. front-wheel drive
c. all-season tires

3. If you buy a rear-wheel drive car (e.g., BMW) be prepared to buy winter tires.

4. It is a state law that your first car must be a Subaru. After that, you can buy whatever you want.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Quote:

Maybe you should drive behind me. You might be able to draft, if you can keep up.

/Impreza

Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Maybe you should drive behind me. You might be able to draft, if you can keep up.

/Impreza

I'm totally on board with that

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM

66 posts, read 161,308 times
Thanks for the replies. OK I get it. Subaru driver have a reputation regarding their driving abilities.

But so far no one has agreed/disagreed that Subaru owners are considered snobbish, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver