Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,593 times

Advertisements

Hello and this is first post on the City-Data forum. I'm a newbie.

My situation....Currently, I'm completing my graduate studies for a Masters of Business Administration in Organizational Leadership, in Michigan. I’m a Native/Lifelong Michigander and personally love this state but, I need to make a huge change in scenery and life position.

I'll finish my program in September 2013. At that time, I also will be 43. I lost my beloved Daddy in 2007 and Mom in 2005. My adult children are 22 and 21. A majority of my life was spent making sure my kids were prepared to manage adulthood.

With my daughter -she's the youngest- things are going fairly well. She’s in her junior year at a local state university and will complete her studies in undergraduate communications by winter 2013. On the flip side my son is in a permanent state of "kick-start" mode. Believe me, I have tried hard to have him start the engine, move on and grow the heck up but at this point in my life, its' time to place number one focus on my dreams and aspirations. Both of my adult children have their own apartments in Michigan.

I've been married for 12 years with sadly the last seven of those years just existing. It’s high time to move on from my "semi-joint" union. I know in my heart, its' over and the only thing missing is divorce paperwork.

So, that's where my personal life is at this moment.

For many years, I thought about moving out of Michigan and on to parts elsewhere. Since I had my kids fairly young, my move was hindered by a need reliable child care. Plus, I loved my late Father dearly, so stayed within parts familiar. Now as I'm truly starting my second wind in life (completing the M.B.A.) now is the time for radical change.

With such, about seven years ago, I had a layover in Denver and feel in semi-love with the areas’ beautiful nature, mountains and excellent public transportation system. I have not forgotten the feeling, while spending nine hours in Denver, of "someday Denver is exactly the place where I belong".

My goal prior to the radical change in scenery is to complete my degree (September 2013), immediately leave my native land behind and start over in Denver. Meantime, I plan on spending the next 11 months, preparing for my move.

So my questions are as followed:

Is the Denver community open to single (will be soon) "transplants" in their early 40's?

Are jobs available for individuals with advanced degrees? If so, what's the typical pay range?

Are businesses open to Contractual Consulting Opportunities and specifically Organizational Change based Consulting venues?

My housing choice is a 2 BR -for my adult children can visit periodically- apartment, friendly to a cat, in a low crime area with a mix of family/single inhabitants and open to African-Americans (I'm A.A.). Are there areas that would fit into my preferred community categories in Denver or the nearby Burbs?

What is the typical rental price range?

Would it be advisable to relocate with an employment plan in place, or wait to find work after the move for individuals my age?

What is single the life like in Denver? I.E. Things to do, people to meet, activities to engage within, etc....

Thanks in advance for your answers as this is a BIG, HUGE change for me. So before I take this leap pre-planning much as possible is optimal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Do your research

Race

I say not a problem. Others agree.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-s-racism.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l-couples.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-prove-my.html

Moving to Denver

Many, many threads on this topic.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...er-single.html

Rent

Rent for 2 bedroom is $1000 and up. Rents are increasing at about 10% per year in greater Denver.
http://www.PadMapper.com

Get a job before moving.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM

352 posts, read 713,646 times
+1 on the threads in existence here already discussing your questions.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Personally I think Denver, CO is up and coming for African-Americans looking to migrate.. It's a scenic city with lots to do and plenty of cultural things to keep you occupied. It's a very clean/green city with the Colorado Rockies making for a gorgeous backdrop. Im kinda of in the same boat as you....Early 40's AA female in North Carolina looking for a huge change in scenery and life...but my destination is Phoenix. Honestly go for it..you only get one life and dont let the naysayers change your perception.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Race

I say not a problem. Others agree.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-s-racism.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l-couples.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-prove-my.html

Moving to Denver

Many, many threads on this topic.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...er-single.html

Rent

Rent for 2 bedroom is $1000 and up. Rents are increasing at about 10% per year in greater Denver.
http://www.PadMapper.com

Get a job before moving.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Not getting any younger and its' time for a change. Good luck on your move to Phoenix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Personally I think Denver, CO is up and coming for African-Americans looking to migrate.. It's a scenic city with lots to do and plenty of cultural things to keep you occupied. It's a very clean/green city with the Colorado Rockies making for a gorgeous backdrop. Im kinda of in the same boat as you....Early 40's AA female in North Carolina looking for a huge change in scenery and life...but my destination is Phoenix. Honestly go for it..you only get one life and dont let the naysayers change your perception.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 PM

792 posts, read 2,875,249 times
Your patterns, frustrations, interpersonal relationships - a lack of elevation didn't create them, so a mountain view won't change them. Moving can improve your life, especially if the new place suits you especially well. What it almost never does, I think, is act as a reset button. Make sure Denver suits you especially well before you move. In my book, nine hours is barely a start on that.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM

48 posts, read 79,076 times
Guess you never moved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver