Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM

556 posts, read 1,201,606 times

Advertisements

Generally in Denver I find cars to be considerate and aware of bikers, but I do get honked at more often than I did in NYC even. This video from longmont made the news recently-

Insane Driver who obviously doesn't like people on bikes - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM

26,250 posts, read 49,156,904 times
Bing this for more info.

This posting indicates the driver was issued a ticket for harassment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,187,944 times
Yes, every suv and truck owner by law has to have a passenger in the vehicle, their job is to open the door and hit you so you fly off of the road.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,746,077 times
Lots of people commute via bicycle in Denver. The streets are full of cyclists morning and evening rush. Great for their pocketbooks, not so great for pedestrians who actually do obey the traffic lights

Old 10-28-2012, 01:22 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 578,366 times
Denver has a lot of bike paths and also dedicated bike lanes that take you all over the city. The Denver City bike map shows preferred bike routes & they seem to work pretty well.

Bike Maps

I have found most drivers to be considerate and enjoy riding on the roads just as much as on the trails.

Crap happens even when you're behind the wheel of a car.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,016,568 times
I hate sharing the road with Cyclists!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM

352 posts, read 714,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I hate sharing the road with Cyclists!
You can't be serious. Are you? If so, whence the hate?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM

473 posts, read 850,500 times
Despite the constant moronic comments from anti-cyclists (above) and militant responses from cyclists rights, both ridiculously ubiquitous in every discussion board and stirred by by local media because they know it nets tons of responses and hits to trollish comments (again, see above) the reality is Denver is quite cyclist friend in the city and inner ring cities. Further out it's more challenging because of suburban design: Wide super-arterials and a non-grid layout.

I've biked regular for years, including to work and back. I've rarely encountered angry motorists and motorists/cyclists/scooter/motorcycles seem to flow and get along quite well.

If you have a regular route you're doing you'll find good routes with time and a few practice runs. There are bike designated streets, but often these - for example Steele from I-25 to Exposition is a bike route but it's narrow and the pavement is terrible. 12th Avenue east of downtown is a bike route, but the lights are timed badly for bikers and traveling westbound it's easier to use 13th - which is three lanes and grading downhill you move about the same pace as cars.

The trails are great if going they're convenient to your destination - (Cherry Creek and Platte being the two most popular). However in good weather it's often wiser to avoid them since they're busier with joggers, walkers and dogs. (I'd rather ride with predictable traffic.)

So long as you're knowledgeable about urban cycling, being predictable to others and protecting yourself (when to take lane, door zone, etc) you'll be fine. - And don't let the constant yammering of people complaining about red light runner cyclists and angry motorists dilute your enthusiasm - it sounds like tough talk on message boards but it's rare in real life.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM

289 posts, read 777,692 times
A message to all cyclists:

This is the 21st century. Most people use cars as their primary method of transportation. Buy a car and stop causing headaches for motorists. There are several bike trails throughout Colorado that were created with cyclists in mind.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM

473 posts, read 850,500 times
Quote:
A message to all cyclists:

This is the 21st century. Most people use cars as their primary method of transportation. Buy a car and stop causing headaches for motorists. There are several bike trails throughout Colorado that were created with cyclists in mind.

Thanks
As proven by my point above. I long stopped arguing about urban cycling benefits because frankly it's irrelevant. Bikes share the road. Trollish diatribes on message boards won't change that.

But I guess to respond - I do own a car, which I drive to the mountains, airport and camping. It doesn't make any sense to drive my SUV around my neighborhood when it's faster, cheaper, and more enjoyable by bike most days.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 10-28-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver