Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Denver: holistic health, college, rock climbing school, down payment on a house, affordable.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm not afraid of change. I suspect some of those miserable NY expats, were miserable because all they saw was "cheap housing" without more research to the area. For instance, my husband once had an opportunity to get a job in Casper Wyoming. For what he would have been making there, and the COL, we would need to make more than $200K here... but.... it was CASPER. The nearest 4 year university was in North Dakota. Just cause housing is affordable doesn't mean it is the right place for me. I suspect some of those disgruntled NYers did not take things like that in consideration when they made the move to the south.
It's good you're not afraid of change, because it will be a BIG change, believe me. I had lived in a number of places before I moved here, and it was still a big change. There are some differences I really cannot articulate. You'll know what I mean when you've done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I would look at Colorado Springs before Denver...
Why? I know the military is there. That's almost a deterrent. Even when DH was in, when he was off-duty, he wanted to be as far away from the MIL as he could.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
It's good you're not afraid of change, because it will be a BIG change, believe me. I had lived in a number of places before I moved here, and it was still a big change. There are some differences I really cannot articulate. You'll know what I mean when you've done it.
I'm sure you can't articulate it. Put it to you this way.

When I was 22 years old, I put myself on an airplane, and traveled to Sicily, all by myself. I stayed with a college buddy for awhile, but in the process, I took the train from Rome to Catania, without speaking a word of Italian. Somehow, I got by even if it was a little scary.

Then I took a train from Catania, up to Florence, and lived with a family that I had never met. I was unable to communicate with them at all, unless their daughter was visiting. Fortunately for me, she came to dinner about three days a week.

Every morning, before I went to school, I had breakfast with the father. He would make me coffee and bread with marmalade or butter. I hated marmalade, and Florentine bread... was awful. (Traditionally, the use no salt in the bread and bread really does need a little of it to taste good.) But I sucked it up, ate my bread and drank my coffee. Two weeks into it, on my way home from school, I picked up some cream cheese. A little while later, the mother made me a Tiramisu for my birthday. A little later, I met a guy who ended up being my boyfriend for awhile. I adapted and really enjoyed the differences.

I went to Italy the following summer (as well as Germany where I met up with a pen pal), and the summer after that. Then I went to London and Paris for my honeymoon (w/ a different guy). And shortly after 9/11 (same week) I went to Nice and a small town on the Italian Riveria.

I adapted and I embraced the differences in culture. Sure there were things I missed, but my only regret, is that I didn't have a chance to live in Europe LONGER. (But that wasn't due to lack of trying.)

If I can adapt to a fairly foreign culture, than I certainly can adapt to a different city within the US.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
Thats awesome! My mom has been living in Italy for the past 2 years and I've really wanted to go out there for some time to do the same.. Anyways if you can get by in new york and around european countries then denver will be a walk in the park.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Thats awesome! My mom has been living in Italy for the past 2 years and I've really wanted to go out there for some time to do the same.. Anyways if you can get by in new york and around european countries then denver will be a walk in the park.
Where in Italy? It's so diverse. I have probably seen more of Italy, than in the US. I love "central" Italy around Tuscana and Umbria. I've seen both sides by the Med, and the Adriatico.

I spent a month in Cortona where that movies was filmed.... The one about the woman who had a divorce? or a break up from SF and moved to Tuscany... Diane Lane.

Cortona is a very, very small town. It can get oppressive at times if you don't have a car because the bus is infrequent and you literally CANNOT walk out of the town since it's on top of a mountain. But it's a very nice place to relax. (We sang an opera there.) It's a nice place to spend time for the summer.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
She lives in a small town called spello in the region of perugia. Its in the middle of the country in between florence and rome. Hopefully I want to spend about a year out there to experience all of the seasons and hopefully get around a bit of europe, the countries are so small its like going to another state out here

Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
If I can adapt to a fairly foreign culture, than I certainly can adapt to a different city within the US.
I am sure that is true. I think what livecontent and I are trying to say is that it WILL be different. Be prepared for that. Both my kids went to college out of state. They both agreed, it's different than visiting someplace. It's living there. Both have said they can't explain all the differences between Colorado and Indiana/Minnesota, but they're different in little ways and big ways, too.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I am sure that is true. I think what livecontent and I are trying to say is that it WILL be different. Be prepared for that. Both my kids went to college out of state. They both agreed, it's different than visiting someplace. It's living there. Both have said they can't explain all the differences between Colorado and Indiana/Minnesota, but they're different in little ways and big ways, too.
Oh of course it will be different. And I'm glad for it. I want a change, especially a slower pace.

I'll never forget one summer in Cortona, my colleagues telling me that it took me at least three weeks to slow down and relax a little.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Oh of course it will be different. And I'm glad for it. I want a change, especially a slower pace.

I'll never forget one summer in Cortona, my colleagues telling me that it took me at least three weeks to slow down and relax a little.
You may not get the slower pace you are looking for. A lot of people come to Colorado for that, and end up disappoitned. For the most part, it's eat, work, sleep here just like everywhere else. And if you're raising a toddler, as you are, that's a lot of work everywhere! (Been there, done that!)

Old 10-19-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You may not get the slower pace you are looking for. A lot of people come to Colorado for that, and end up disappoitned. For the most part, it's eat, work, sleep here just like everywhere else. And if you're raising a toddler, as you are, that's a lot of work everywhere! (Been there, done that!)
I have never visited any place that wasn't slower paced than NYC. Furthermore, unlike some people, our reasons for moving are multi-faceted.

Cheaper - (NY is the most expensive city to live in N.A.)
Slower - (Very few places are this stressed. It was rated as one of the most stressful places in America.)
Geography - Condusive to a more outdoorsy lifestyle.
City - It's still a city with places to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver