Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 AM

16 posts, read 23,891 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My family and I are new to Co. We are currently staying w/ extended family in the south metro area. My husband works in North Aurora and our little one is currently in Elementary school. We are looking for a family friendly area that is w/in a 15-25min.(35-40min in snow haha) Driving radius of my Husbands job (Tower & 35th-ish I think). We also want a really good school does not have to be the top of the top. We are looking for a mix of urban & suburban(if that even exists) I guess meaning walkable, diversity of people, but not hustle & bustle of downtown. We'll be renting for 1yr or so, then we would like to put down roots in the area. Rental budget max around $1250( realize we may have to sacrifice because of this).I am currently looking for a part time probably retail to supplement income. Cities we like Centennial, Greenwood Village, Lone Tree. Heard good things about Highlands neighborhood in Denver would love some more info. NOT looking at Stapleton,Reunion area, or GVR. Going to start looking into S.E. Aurora 80016/80015 zips but feel it may be to far out & too Suburban. Some background we have lived in a big city 15 min. away from Mickey Mouse & also a very rural area drive 30 mins to Costco type of village. So we want something in between. Thanks for the feedback let me know if you need more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:40 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
When I read your post, my first thought was Stapleton but then I saw that you do not want to live there. Can you tell us what you don't like about it because to me, it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Other Denver neighborhoods that come to mind are Lowry, Mayfair, South Park Hill, Virginia Village, University Hills, Bible Park, Cook Park, Corey Merrill. I would also look in South Aurora and Centennial to the south and Arvada to the west. The commute to some of these may be a little over your max.

Highlands is a great neighborhood, one of my favorites, but the schools are terrible.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Alright did a little more reading about Stapleton. Although I'm not sure we can afford the area we WILL consider it. I was initially worried about the surrounding areas but have been put at ease by looking into a little more. Thanks again for any input!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
I was curious what would be out there in your price range and found this listing: Beautiful Brick Home with a huge backyard and a quick walk to Lowry & Crestmoor Park | RentDenverOnline.com

I know this neighborhood and it's nice. You can walk to Crestmoor Park as well as a few small parks in Lowry, a library and the Lowry Town Center. The elementary school would be either Lowry or Carson which are both good schools.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Not the Highlands

The Highlands are really 2 neighborhoods: Highland and West Highland.
1. Neither is within your driving time criterion.
2. The public schools do suck with one exception: Edison Elementary -- which is average.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 PM

Dorothy I greatly appreciate your feedback. I've been trying to look into the neighborhoods you suggested. There is just so much info out there. My head is spinning a bit. I think instead of narrowing down choices each forum has me adding to my selections. Our plan so as not to have to change schools mid year is to continue stay w/family until the end of 2012/2013 school yr. Then rent for about 1yr in the same area we intend to buy. So were searching not only for a decent rental area for families but also for a longterm area to buy in. Our projected purchase budget would be $300,000 or less (preferably less). My Husband likes new construction(but w/character doesn't want to live in a box), because they are usually move in ready, I like remodeled older homes(mid century modern,craftsman style). We don't mind a small house,we wouldn't want a giant one like in HR no offense. Would be awesome to walk our kid to & from school/parks safely. Corner coffee/tea shops/ fave neighborhood restaurant/ice cream parlor. Worried Stapleton might not be diverse or that houses are on top of each other( we don't like opening the curtains only to accidently be starring into the neighbors windows...it's weird. We prefer single story when we buy but don't mind a few stairs. Maybe I can get feedback/vibe on the following areas in 1 sentence or less.

1)Stapleton
2)Lowry
3)Congress Park
4)South Park Hill
5)Virginia Village
6)Bradburn Village(Westminster)
7)Mayfair
8)University Hills
9)Bible Park
10)Cook Park
11)Corey Merrill
12)Centennial
13)Greenwood Village
14)South Aurora
If its completely out of our price range please let me know. Also if anyone only has info on 1 or some of these areas that would be great help. If you know a Denver Metro expert on these forums please send them my way. We are really searching for HOME wanna put down roots make new friends & find a place of our own so out of state friends can visit soon. Thanks so much for whatever info can be offered.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Default Highland

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The Highlands are really 2 neighborhoods: Highland and West Highland.
1. Neither is within your driving time criterion.
2. The public schools do suck with one exception: Edison Elementary -- which is average.
Thanks for this info I'm ruling out Highland b/c of school feedback & Commute time. Although we will visit from time to time seems like a pretty cool area.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM

I think Stapleton is out. All the homes I've been able to see are 2 story. Does anyone know differently? I do love the community feel of Stapleton. Any info on the older family oriented neighborhoods of Denver?

Old 12-24-2012, 09:51 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I was curious what would be out there in your price range and found this listing: Beautiful Brick Home with a huge backyard and a quick walk to Lowry & Crestmoor Park | RentDenverOnline.com

I know this neighborhood and it's nice. You can walk to Crestmoor Park as well as a few small parks in Lowry, a library and the Lowry Town Center. The elementary school would be either Lowry or Carson which are both good schools.
And, this school Denver Public Schools is just a few blocks away. Your children could walk to it.

This rental is a good deal.
Mayfair Park is an interesting (in a good way) neighborhood. It is actually a sub-neighborhood in Hilltop.

Dorthy found you an excellent deal.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, this school Denver Public Schools is just a few blocks away. Your children could walk to it.

This rental is a good deal.
Mayfair Park is an interesting (in a good way) neighborhood. It is actually a sub-neighborhood in Hilltop.

Dorthy found you an excellent deal.
Yes I agree this is a great rental option, However I read the reviews on the school and I don't feel it would be a good match for us due to class size and parent concerns voiced in the reviews. I think we may have to gear our search more so toward DTC/Greenwood village/Centennial/South East Aurora to get the schools we are looking for but also be w/in a reasonable commute for my husband. We've driven through parts of these areas except SE Aurora closes we've been is Parker but too suburban for what we are looking for. Any info on areas along 25 or 470 toll that fit our criteria? Much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver