Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM

557 posts, read 810,921 times

Advertisements

Around the Lawrence & 20th area. Couple blocks southeast of Coors. General thoughts on it from locals? Would you live there? Why, or why not?

I know public transit is obviously very accessible right there. Curious about livability, feel, loudness? (we're youngish, but we don't want to live next to a wild bar necessarily though), safety (walk at night?), and whatever else you feel like chiming in on.

Looking at some different apartments in the general area, and curious for a locals perspective on how desirable (or not) it would be to live in that area.

Thanks! Look forward to moving to Denver soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Buy or Rent?

Quote:
Around the Lawrence & 20th area.
Purchase or rent?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Purchase or rent?
Sorry. Rent.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Probably not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Around the Lawrence & 20th area. Couple blocks southeast of Coors. General thoughts on it from locals? Would you live there? Why, or why not?
I would pick Highland.
Lots of restaurants. No annoying bars and their patrons early in the morning.

On the other hand.
You are only renting. And, for no more than a year.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I would pick Highland.
Lots of restaurants. No annoying bars and their patrons early in the morning.

On the other hand.
You are only renting. And, for no more than a year.
Padmapper shows literally zero apartments available in Highland (accepting dogs, less than $2,000).

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
...accepting dogs
Did I miss something in your first post?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Did I miss something in your first post?
No, I'm just terrible at giving all of the information all at once. We have a 50lb dog that we'll be bringing along.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
I know there's a new building that was just finished right there, but there's also a building somewhere in that general area (I forget the exact cross streets) that's a little bit sketch. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby on Larimer, Market, & Blake. You should be aware that 20th is a busy street that connects into the highway--I would expect street noise. A lot of parking lots are right on 20th to serve the ballpark.

We've lived downtown (few blocks south of where you're looking) for nearly a year now. There are pros and cons--love walking to work when I'm actually in our office, lots of bars and restaurants, good highway access for work travel. We find it to be unbearably loud though--both street noise, and lots of young people in our building with what seems like limited responsibilities. I feel safe, but homeless people don't really scare me--there are lots of them, just so you're aware (The Denver Rescue Mission is located at Broadway & Park Ave).

Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I know there's a new building that was just finished right there, but there's also a building somewhere in that general area (I forget the exact cross streets) that's a little bit sketch. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby on Larimer, Market, & Blake. You should be aware that 20th is a busy street that connects into the highway--I would expect street noise. A lot of parking lots are right on 20th to serve the ballpark.

We've lived downtown (few blocks south of where you're looking) for nearly a year now. There are pros and cons--love walking to work when I'm actually in our office, lots of bars and restaurants, good highway access for work travel. We find it to be unbearably loud though--both street noise, and lots of young people in our building with what seems like limited responsibilities. I feel safe, but homeless people don't really scare me--there are lots of them, just so you're aware (The Denver Rescue Mission is located at Broadway & Park Ave).
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear from someone in that area.

You've been there a year now. Aside from apartment specific conditions, would you resign a lease now?

I'll likely be working a little over a mile away, so I'm looking forward to walking to work as well.

My guess is that you might be talking about Step 13 on Larimer? Just noticed that tonight actually looking around, which somewhat prompted the initial post.

That new construction is exactly what we're looking at actually. Has a dog run/exercise area on the roof, which really appeals to us. Thanks for the heads up on 20th. The unit we're looking at is a middle unit, and the complex stretches down Lawrence I believe, so hopefully it would be far enough away from the intersection?

Somewhat worried about the noise given that we are coming from a very suburban, quiet environment. Sounds like from your description it's pretty persistent. Half expected though. I stayed in downtown Atlanta for a month for work, but was also probably 30 floors up then. It'll definitely be an adjustment.

If you're a few blocks south, we may actually be looking at your building too. Have several options that we're going to visit in the general area.

Homeless don't bother me either per say. Better way to phrase the safety question is would you be ok with your wife walking to local store at 8pm? Something along that vein.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
We were also in the suburbs before moving here. We've considered just moving to a different building downtown since I'm thinking some of our noise issues might be building specific--we are in an older buliding with older windows on a busy street. One of my coworkers lives off Little Raven closer to Commons Park, and he has no noise issues at all--but he's on a dead-end street. His building is a lot more expensive, though. We're struggling on where to live when our lease is up, too--I refuse to spend over $1,500 on rent/parking, but I'm not ready for suburban again.

I'm female, and I walk around downtown all the time by myself at night without thinking twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver