Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM

31 posts, read 56,592 times

Advertisements

From physical environment to values to dress code to employees to management styles…. I am curious about the overall business culture in Denver… I know this varies from company to company, but in general, would you say the business culture in Denver is laid-back or conservative? Appreciative for creative types or ultra-structured? Competing to be dynamic or traditional – from font to logos to furnishings to commercials on TV? I feel like the most noticeable depiction of business culture is dress code… This is a random example, is it common to see a young professional woman with a small stud nose ring? Or wearing a business suit with heels and capris, rather pants? Basically, is the “live and let live” applied to the business world as well as personal?

Last edited by YourBrit54; 04-20-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Can you be more specific that's quite broad?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Can you be more specific that's quite broad?
Certainly. From physical environment to values to dress code to employees to management styles…. I am curious about the overall business culture in Denver… I know this varies from company to company, but in general, would you say the business culture in Denver is laid-back or conservative? Appreciative for creative types or ultra-structured? Competing to be dynamic or traditional – from font to logos to furnishings to commercials on TV? I feel like the most noticeable depiction of business culture is dress code… This is a random example, is it common to see a young professional woman with a small stud nose ring? Or wearing a business suit with heels and capris, rather pants? Basically, is the “live and let live” applied to the business world as well as personal?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Ok sure I have been in white collar sales in Denver for 9 years. It's business casual here no suit and tie unless you are in a law office. Button down not tie slacks. People are pretty laid back I started in So Cal and it's more intense and formal there. Many people cut out of office at 3PM on Friday. Colorado is a pro biz state not so many regulations, good for employers not as good for employees, it easy to fire someone with no reason. My former sales manager had a sleeve of tats but hid them under a long sleeve dress shirt. People are definitely live and let live here. No ear or nose rings with white collar business people, maybe ear ring real small, and slight chance a woman would have small stud nose ring, but that would be more of an ethnic thing. In this town it's small enough that it helps to know the right people. It's not all about who you know but it does help.

As far as personal people by downtown Denver are more live and let live I live in more conservative Parker 25 miles south and it's yuppies, families, and some religious types.

Hope that helps just post again if you need more info.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:53 PM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
It depends on where you work and it depends on industry.

I work in the tech industry and my office is very casual. I can wear jeans and a t-shirt to work. My partner works in the financial industry and his office is more traditional.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
It's business casual here no suit and tie unless you are in a law office. Button down not tie slacks. People are pretty laid back I started in So Cal and it's more intense and formal there. Many people cut out of office at 3PM on Friday. Colorado is a pro biz state not so many regulations, good for employers not as good for employees, it easy to fire someone with no reason. My former sales manager had a sleeve of tats but hid them under a long sleeve dress shirt. People are definitely live and let live here. No ear or nose rings with white collar business people, maybe ear ring real small, and slight chance a woman would have small stud nose ring, but that would be more of an ethnic thing.
This definitely helps. Thanks! Coming from group sales at a resort in Central Missouri, everything you wrote is sooo refreshing & relieving! I was limited to dresses at/below the knee, close-toed heels, no sleeveless shirts allowed, no capris allowed, no tattoos or facial jewelry, had to wear nude nylons (in 100 degree weather, yes), no dangly earrings, if you had bangs you had to wear them down, etc.

My work standard work hours were 8am - 5:30pm, no ands/ifs/buts about it. If I had a group in that night or early that morning, your time was not prorated.

The biggest thing is that this town is stuck in the 80s... I, personally, initiated recycling at my workplace. The town in general lacks in recycling. Customer Service down here is bonkers, inference is based on has-been information, and BNI is more for the PTA-type business professionals having something to do after work hours.

**Don't get me wrong, I appreciate tradition and uniforms, but I also KNOW how to apply fashion to business dress without being "too young". I am also a very loyal and hard-working female who would get there right at 8am, but would stay until all hours of the night if need be. I brought a lot to the community and associations I belong to, along with co-workers, but was always ridiculed for my method.... simply because it was different (and more efficient) than the overall population.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Denver is quite laid back, so the business culture largely reflects that.

Dress in Denver is much more casual than you would find out east. Suits are not usually worn in most industries, often men do not even wear ties. It is not uncommon to see a man dress in (nice) jeans with a long-sleeved collared shirt (often untucked, but ironed) at work. Sometimes they will often dress it up with a suit jacket or blazer.

Men who wear suits often do so sans tie.

These guys even wear shorts to work. Every day.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Too funny I had to think what BNI was, I tried it in So Cal when I got into sales in 98. I developed my own network with former co-workers we are still in the same industry.

Oh and on snow days you can generally telecommute unless your job requires you to be on-site. We only get about 4-5 good snow storms a year.

There are a few corp. nazi types here but they are exception not the rule and people don't care for them.

The job market is tight here depending on what you do. Lots of IT jobs, software dev, and gov milt. related work.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Bahahaha!

Quote:
There are a few corp. nazi types here but they are exception not the rule and people don't care for them.

The job market is tight here depending on what you do. Lots of IT jobs, software dev, and gov milt. related work.
Good to know!

I heard the market is tight. I notice that in my searches thus far. Hopefully I can find something before we head that way...

Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 AM

31 posts, read 51,722 times
Coloradans tend to express creativity through political means rather than artistic means. Since Colorado is a state with a small population, Coloradans know they will never compete with more creative cities on the coasts. Secondly, this state's history wasn't founded on creative endeavors, it was founded on a combination of plain and simple industrial and farming, combined with "wild west" risk taking, so they project an image as being what I would call "progressively minded country". They lack the sophistication of larger coastal cities, but have a higher political awareness than most other states with only 5 million people (and many with more). "Go getters" and "ambitiously anxious/ fast paced people" aren't popular in Colorado because they are seen as unfriendly. Pushy doesn't work here. The "hip" appearance is popular in Colorado, but it's only surface deep. In summary, Colorado is one of the most politically and surfacely progressive states in the nation, but once you scratch the surface there isn't much going on here as far as actually creating. Colorado may be "live and let live" but you better keep your mouth shut if what you say doesn't "fit in" to an established or stereotypical persona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver