Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM

557 posts, read 811,216 times

Advertisements

. . . before we move. Still waiting for finalized work plans, but didn't want to have to move to an apartment site unseen, so we're taking a quick trip out to Denver from the 23rd - 26th.

First day, we have 4 appointments set up for apartment viewings in and around the downtown area. Going to tour some of the local breweries that night.

Second day, I think we're going to check out Mount Evans, Red Rocks, and explore from there.

Right now, third day (Saturday) is wide open. Then our flight leaves late Sunday morning.

I know there is a ton of stuff do, and our own personal preferences aside, what would you recommend a semi-new set of visitors to the city go do/take in during a short trip and relatively limited available time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
. . . before we move. Still waiting for finalized work plans, but didn't want to have to move to an apartment site unseen, so we're taking a quick trip out to Denver from the 23rd - 26th.

First day, we have 4 appointments set up for apartment viewings in and around the downtown area. Going to tour some of the local breweries that night.

Second day, I think we're going to check out Mount Evans, Red Rocks, and explore from there.

Right now, third day (Saturday) is wide open. Then our flight leaves late Sunday morning.

I know there is a ton of stuff do, and our own personal preferences aside, what would you recommend a semi-new set of visitors to the city go do/take in during a short trip and relatively limited available time?
Be warned that Mt. Evans may not be open. They're plowing the road right now and are targeting Memorial Day Weekend but there's always a chance it won't happen. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods in the Springs may be a good alternative. If you're coming up from sea level (which it looks like you are), don't overdo it at the top of either Evans or Pikes. Altitude sickness is not something to trifle with.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Be warned that Mt. Evans may not be open. They're plowing the road right now and are targeting Memorial Day Weekend but there's always a chance it won't happen. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods in the Springs may be a good alternative. If you're coming up from sea level (which it looks like you are), don't overdo it at the top of either Evans or Pikes. Altitude sickness is not something to trifle with.
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I saw that Mount Evans is "scheduled" to open back up on the day we're getting in to town. We're not planning on exerting ourselves too much.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM

31 posts, read 51,732 times
Try Eldorado Canyon or Forsyth Canon. There are also a couple of trails in the Golden Canyon west of Golden. The drive through i-70 is not really as impressive as the drive through those Canyons in the foothills.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
You should also visit Rocky Mountain National Park, it's beautiful and has endless hiking opportunities. There is still snow in the higher areas but you should be fine. It's only an hour and a half drive from Downtown Denver. Have a fun trip!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
if you like baseball maybe take a tour of coors field
Denver travel guide - Wikitravel

Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 PM

31 posts, read 51,732 times
Unless they like hiking in 4 foot snow i would stay away from anything more than 40 minutes from Denver. Even to park you need a four wheel drive becaus while the roads are clear the adjacent parking lots wont be. Basically any area with trees will have 2-5 feet of snow and that includes most of the mount evans wilderness area.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM

Any word on Mount Evans opening up for sure? Saw it's in the 80s with lows in the upper 50s for the next week.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Channel 9 here in Denver just said that CDOT will not set a target date for opening Mt. Evans because they're dealing with too much snow. I'm guessing it will not be open in time for the Memorial Day Weekend.

CDOT is hoping to have Trail Ridge Road open by Monday.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-30-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 AM

29 posts, read 53,403 times
I believe you can check the Mt Evans website and it will tell you what's going on with the road opening situation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver