Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:54 AM

256 posts, read 1,403,674 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move between the two... and besides the mormons what are other major differences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Denver is much larger.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:12 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
In SLC, the mountains are right there in your face, unlike Denver, where they're somewhat distant. The skiing is closer in as well SLC than Denver (and better IMO).

Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 AM

676 posts, read 2,796,662 times
The only reason I would move to salt lake is for the ski resorts that are so close. The mountains are so close, way more so than in denver. But Denver is a much larger city with many more things to do. Did a business trip to salt lake one time and I thought it strange that in order to get a drink at the bar you had to sign up for a "membership" kinda messed up if you ask me

Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 232,136 times
The culture is different. Largely due to the Mormon population. And expect the Mormon missionary kids to come knocking on your door They're mostly nice kids though, they won't really hassle you or anything. It's very conservative out there, but that's probably a plus if you as well. There's fewer jobs, though the high tech sector is growing. I just know too many people who moved from SLC to Denver for jobs. Housing and utilities are cheaper in SLC. Food and gas is just a bit more. State income tax rates are between 2% to 7% depending on your income while Colorado is a flat 4.6%. I think it's also more isolated out there than it is here. If you aren't in the SLC metro area there's not much else. But the mountains are more accessible than they are here.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I think Utah is one of the most gorgeous places in the world. I remember driving through the state on a move to California and desperately wanting to just stay there forever.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
The fear of LDS people is way overblown in urban SLC, in my opinion. It's a lot like the fear of the evangelicals in Colorado Springs, actually; it's a problem that's way overblown as well, and like SLC, the evangelicals are relatively few in the more urban part of Colorado Springs and its westside.

If you live in urban SLC proper, practicing LDS is actually a relatively insignificant minority, in contrast to the suburbs and the rest of the state. The mayor of SLC, Rocky Anderson, is quite effective, liberal, a Democrat, and is non-practicing LDS.

SLC is actually closer in size to Colorado Springs than Denver, and looks the part. I think those two cities are actually more comparable, but having said that I think SLC has a lot to offer, and is one of Denver's chief economic competitors in the region.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
SLC's population is 181,743.
COS's pop. is 360,8990.

These are both city populations. COS is twice as large as SLC. As for the LDS issue, go take a look on the SLC forum. Perhaps the OP already has. The LDS culture is more pervasive than the Fundamentalist Christian culture of COS. Many non-practicing LDS are LDS nevertheless, and are culturally LDS. I have no issue with the religion, but I've known people who lived in Utah, (in one case is from suburban SLC) who have said it's very hard to be a non-Mormon there. I had a patient from Utah, who was LDS, tell me she wouldn't want to live there if she weren't a Mormon. I know things are changing, but change is usually slow. Out-state Utah is about 90% LDS.

Try these threads from the SLC forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...happy-slc.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/utah/...-left-out.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...non-lds-2.html

Old 11-03-2007, 02:31 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,662 times
As far as comparing them economically I don't think denver and SLC are really competing economically. I think the distance between the two is to great and the economy in denver is considerably larger than that of SLC. SLC is culturaly, socialy and economicaly important in its own imediate region but in the larger spectrum its hard to see a comparison of the two

Old 11-03-2007, 03:38 PM

287 posts, read 503,292 times
I don't think I am being too stereotypical or rude by saying that Utah people are not
as friendly as Colorado people. I have spent considerable time there and it is surprising
how unfriendly people are in Utah compared to Colorado. I don't profess to understand the reasons for it. I have experienced too much unfriendly or condescending behavior in Utah for it to be a fluke. I would nonetheless consider living there. The mountains rise
up off the desert floor and tower over the city. It is the most remarkable natural setting of any US city. Just look at the postcards and you'll get an idea of its beauty.
The cost of living there is more afforable than Denver. I am referring to things such as
pizzas, etc. The lakes in Utah are stunning in their beauty. But one knock about Utah
recreation is that everything cost money to use. There are day fees for just about any type of park, according to what I have read. There isn't a bad city to speak of in Utah.
SLC, Provo, Logan, and St. George are all very nice. Some of Colorado cities have more
of a cow town feeling, comparably. I still think the front range has more to offer than
the desert basin of SLC, however. I like the grassy appeal of the High Plains to the east. I like the way the winter storms sweep over the plains. I like the winter
landscapes of Colorado, with it's bare trees and foothills rolling off in the distance. If you don't mind feeling lonely, then consider Utah. If you want to feel like you are around like-minded
people, then consider Colorado. I could never shake for the feeling of being a stranger in a strange land in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver