Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times

Advertisements

Our neighborhood got the city to put a in stop sign at an intersection where speeding was a problem. This is much more effective than speed bumps.

Crazy that people here think their convenience and arriving at their destination 5 minutes earlier is more important than residents safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 PM

98 posts, read 706,660 times
Thanks for the great advice and constructive feedback from some of you! I actually care a ton about my kids and that is why I am trying to promote something to help keep them safe. I think I am done with the City Data Forums though!! Too many mean people when I was just trying to get some helpful feedback. For someone to insinuate that I am "one of those irresponsible parents who expects other people to watch out for my kids" or that I just need to teach my kids to stay away from the road....wow. It must be hard to be so perfect!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoCO View Post
Thanks for the great advice and constructive feedback from some of you! I actually care a ton about my kids and that is why I am trying to promote something to help keep them safe. I think I am done with the City Data Forums though!! Too many mean people when I was just trying to get some helpful feedback. For someone to insinuate that I am "one of those irresponsible parents who expects other people to watch out for my kids" or that I just need to teach my kids to stay away from the road....wow. It must be hard to be so perfect!
Your choice, but remember, it's only a few and most of us just ignore them.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Quote:
There are some posters who just like to hear themselves talk, without contributing anything useful. And some of these don't even live in the area where they are posting. I don't get it. Just an unfortunate side effect of anonymity, I guess.

There is an ignore feature on this forum, so you can choose to block certain posters that you don't like. That way you never have to even see their posts. Personally, I've been on this forum long enough to know whose posts are going to be worthless and I just don't pay attention to them.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Well...that is one way to handle it. The other is to continue posting sane, rational and helpful responses so the crazies who think it is OK to speed through residential neighborhoods don't take over the forum.

Even though there were multiple responses to this thread that were obviously from someone not quite right in the head you will notice that it is only one responder who posted multiple times and then one who chimed in support. You had twice as many people post that they were off the mark than the two who obviously wouldn't lose any sleep running over a pet or child.

Lack of empathy is a well known characteristic of psychopaths so don't let that type of person control what you do. Also blaming others for their irresponsibility such as saying that it is your fault if your kids get run over by them because the kids were near the street and trying to dismiss their own responsibility for speeding, breaking the law and ignoring common sense in a residential neighborhood is another sign.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-psychopath-0

Excerpts:
The PCL describes psychopaths as being callous and showing a lack of empathy, traits which the PPI describes as “coldheartedness.” The criteria for dissocial personality disorder include a “callous unconcern for the feelings of others.”

According to Cleckley psychopaths show unreliability, while the PCL mentions “irresponsibility” and the PPI describes psychopaths as showing “blame externalization,” i.e. they blame others for events that are actually their fault.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You sound like one of those irresponsible parents who wants everyone else to look out for your kids, because you don't want to.
Like I said... you sound like someone who has no kids. I can't tell you how many times I've seen little kids dart into the street while their parents are right there. I live on a street that doesn't have lawns and cars park on the street. It can be very dangerous when idiots fly down our street.

Have a couple kids and then get back to me.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default We had one, not plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Speed bumps are evil.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
I am moving from a neighborhood that wanted speed bumps, and last year I attended a lot of meetings. Here is what I learned:

1. Most people (75%ish) hate them. The city gets bombarded by angry citizens when they put them in. Public servants and elected officials don't like angry citizens.

2. See if the city will put some sensors out to determine how fast each car is going. This was pretty cool info. 4 spots in the neighborhood had sensors, and only one of them had a car over 40 mph in a week. Also, one sensor didn't have a car going over 35 mph. We learned that we citizens are not very good at judging speeds. Seriously, it's hard to expect the city to spend a lot of money slowing people down when the cars aren't 10 mph or more over the speed limit.

3. Police love the above data. A police officer was in the best place at the best time to catch speeders the next week. Huge impact.

4. Adding a stop sign will obviously slow people down, but so will "dangerous curve ahead" or something similar.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
I've operated plows in the metro area. All I can say is, if you money is green, we'll plow it. Speed bumps are a hassle, but that doesn't mean any sane plow company would turn down the job.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Like I said... you sound like someone who has no kids. I can't tell you how many times I've seen little kids dart into the street while their parents are right there. I live on a street that doesn't have lawns and cars park on the street. It can be very dangerous when idiots fly down our street.

I agree. Sure, you teach your kids. But slowing traffic is a second layer of protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: