Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,763 times

Advertisements

Our plans to move to Denver this summer are moving forward and I was relieved to see SO MANY new listings pop up in the last week or so.

As I've mentioned before, we have several trips to Denver planned in the next couple months and it is possible for us to rent before buying, but we'd really like to be able to buy soon, assuming we can find what we are looking for.

There was a thread a while back discussing a supposed "family friendly" neighborhood where there weren't kids playing outside and people tended to keep to themselves, and it got me concerned.

I understand that we won't be able to get everything we want in a home/community and I'm willing to adjust our lifestyle (I've let go of backing to open space and being walking distance to the elementary school) but I simply cannot let go of the idea of my kids running up and down the street and playing outside a lot. Our kids are 5 and 7 and enjoy being sent outside to play !

Bradburn1 describes this as the situation in Bradburn, but those houses are a little too expensive for the size (we think), the houses a little too close together, and we'd like to be closer to the elementary school, although it's still on our list.

Anthem seems a bit too remote for my taste.

We want a community where people easily interact with each other AND where the street looks "nice" - where the houses are kept up and generally have good curb appeal. I LOVE the older neighborhoods with the ranch style houses in Broomfield, but on a recent visit, many of them had fading paint or just otherwise looked "tired." The houses in Broadlands, Redleaf, and McKay's Landing seem to be about the right size, the right price and the streets generally have the right look. I've seen houses with a similar look in North Westminster, as well but don't know those subdivision names.

I'd love to hear from people who live in those communities or who have friends who live there. We are willing to do OUR part - introduce ourselves to neighbors, hang around in the front yard, play outside after school in the afternoons but we need a neighborhood that is generally conducive to that neighborliness. (Family potlucks, mom's nights out, walking group etc. would be welcome but if they don't exist I can find those through a mom's club or church or something).

Thanks in advance - and as I always say, I try to be pretty active on the DC and Maryland forums so I'm giving and not always taking !

Last edited by scrapper105; 03-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
As a 35 year resident of Broomfield, let me share a few thoughts on the subject. Broomfield as a whole is a very "family friendly" town. However, finding a specific neighborhood that has an abundance of, say, K-6 age children may be difficult. This used to occur in the brand new, starter home (aka affordable) developments where young families bought their first house. (Foxborough, Westlake, LacAmora). Now those neighborhoods are the ones you saw with the "fading" paint.

Today, and for the last 10 or so years, the city fathers will not let an "affordable" development like say Westlake, be built now. It has to be a Broadlands or Anthem scale project. This means you get families with teenagers or empty-nesters.

As my 2 kids grew up, the friends they made at school were from all over town. Not necessarily the kid next door. Also if you want to be involved in school or town social activities, you can do that from anywhere in town. It's not that big, even with the recent annexations.

FWIW, we started out in Foxborough (Cedar St), and later did a "move-up" to Miramonte. Many friends and neighbors have seen the same effect of the "aging" of their established neighborhoods, such that the "new" families with young kids are more scattered around town, and not concentrated.

As you may have noticed, Broomfield has many "pocket" parks. (one of the things Parks and Rec Dept did good on !) . Find a house near one and hang out there to make friends.

As far as your own kids "going out to play", I can't imagine any where that would be a problem (except maybe the $1Mil type homes in Broadlands and Anthem etc !!)

Good luck in your hunt.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
Default Roving bands of well behaved children

In my mind two areas are stand outs when it comes to roving bands of well behaved children. Bradburn and north Thornton near EastLake on any of the greenbelts that are interconnected through that area.

Personally I really like the family vibe in north Thornton. We've walked alot of the greenbelts in that area and are always impressed by the kids riding bikes, playing and generally having a good time while not disturbing anyone. Adams County Regional Park always has large family/friends get togethers going on with BBQs and volleyball games etc. Same thing with E.B. Rains park in Northglenn near north Thornton.

One may ask, why not so much in other neighborhoods? It is hard to say but I'd imagine coyotes, stranger danger, prescheduled classes/activities and indoor game consoles have something to do with it.

That being said those two neighborhoods are the ones I've seen roving groups of well behaved kids engaged in play like I was when I was a kid.

There are a couple of homes backing to the greenbelt/high school in McKay with kids in the backyard often but they have the obligatory large dog there to protect them from the coyotes. Kids on the greenbelts or in the parks generally are with their parents and often a large dog. But I don't see groups that look like more than one family and I don't see kids by themselves.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM

I've done extensive research on schools, churches, locations, and housing costs but finding the right "community" is tough, even after a couple visits to Denver and lots of hanging around neighborhood parks. So, I wanted to bump this up again to see if anyone out there can comment on the feeling of "community" and "neighborliness" in ANY neighborhoods/subdivisions in Superior or Broomfield, as well as the following subdivisions in Westminster: Green Knolls, Covenant, Quail Crossing, Weatherstone, Harmony Park, Westcliff. Our price range is $350K-$450K for a SFH.

Although I have two elementary aged kids, I'm not necessarily looking for a neighborhood full of them. But I am looking for a neighborhood where people are willing to take the time to get to know their neighbors, socialize together, maybe have a newsletter or listserv of sorts.

I'd love to hear from people who live in those communities or who have friends who live there. We are willing to do OUR part - introduce ourselves to neighbors, hang around in the front yard, play outside after school in the afternoons but we need a neighborhood that is generally conducive to that neighborliness.

Thanks in advance - and as I always say, I try to be pretty active on the DC and Maryland forums so I'm giving and not always taking !

Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
I know you've seen my posts about Redleaf so I'll just echo previous sentiments and say it's filled with kids. I would say the majority of homes are filled with young families and the rest are young retirees. Our block had summer BBQ block parties and they'd cone off the street. Halloween is a lot of fun in the neighborhood. Some of the Lennar homes tend to have a bit older kids (higher price point, bigger) than the Taylor Morrison homes but not across the board.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM

12 posts, read 30,927 times
Hey Scrapper, I'm hopefully soon to be in the same boat as you, and seem to have the same requirements, did you decide on a spot yet?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,862 times
My family also moved to Broomfield in the last year. We live in Westlake where I guess the tired and faded homes are. I already know most of my neighbors by name and the few I don't are extremely friendly. I love the town and the feeling of community in Broomfield. You are looking for an upscale neighborhood, and from what I have found there are all different types of families in all the neighborhoods. I prefer an older neighborhood as there is more diversity, but wherever you end up I think you will find good people and a great community. Also, I feel extremely safe here. We moved from a suburb of Dallas and I can't tell you what an improvement we have had in quality of life.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks jmmcg for chiming in.

cactuschowdah, We settled on McKay Landing in Broomfield. We were NOT looking for upscale (I would prefer not to live in a neighborhood considered upscale, actually) but are delighted with the look of McKay Landing. It doesn't seem to have quite as many planned social activities as I was hoping for (as sponsored by the HOA where all are invited) but the neighbors seem nice so we will just have to make an effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver