Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,039 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first time on this board. We currently live in a great family-friendly neighborhood in Broomfield. We know a lot of our neighbors and there are a lot of kids around the same age (3-8 years old). Unfortunately we have a teeny-tiny yard (basically a patio home) and my husband now commutes down to C-470 & I-25. So we have started considering moving further south to the Littleton area. We are looking the Columbine Hills and Columbine Knolls neighborhoods. The borders that we are looking at would be Bowles-Platte Canyon-C-470-Wadsworth.

We really like the homes specifically in the Columbine Knolls (south?) neighborhood but it doesn't look like there are many families with kids in this area. In fact, my grandparents used to live there 10 years ago and I recall it being all older people. Does anyone live in the neighborhood or know anyone who does and can confirm the demographics? We definitely don't want to move anywhere where our daughter won't have any other kids nearby. We drove around the area and didn't see many people out and about, but the few that we saw were older.

Any other neighborhood suggestions? I would like to stick near light rail access as I work downtown. Our max price would be ~$300K.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 04:18 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
plenty of kids in columbine area - I use to live in Columbine Knolls South II - especially close to the elementary schools.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM

39 posts, read 72,051 times
Another alternative may be closer to I-25 and C470. It would be in Centennial with Littleton Public Schools that have a great reputation. There are some neighborhoods that would fit you price criteria and some even have community pools and tennis courts which is a great way to raise children and meet neighbors. It would be a quick commute for your husband and very easy access to the light rail for you.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM

9 posts, read 19,370 times
We are relocating to Denver and those were the areas we had narrowed our housing search down to. With our situation we had a small window to look at houses and we needed to make a decision. So we expanded our search a bit into eastern side of Littleton and into Centennial as well as the Columbine area because there was just not a ton of houses avaliable in the Columbine area. The third house we walked into we knew it was the one, but of course we saw 17 more houses just to be sure. LOL In the end this house is around the area of mineral and broadway someplace I was not intially even considering. Though we have not moved in just yet (long story), I feel like it is a great place/location so far. It is 5 mins (if even that to the light rail station) 20 mins to DTC, and few mins to 470. I still love the other area it just did not workout for us and I am really pleased with our location that we ended up at. So maybe open up your area just a bit you might be surprised with what you find.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knail View Post
Another alternative may be closer to I-25 and C470. It would be in Centennial with Littleton Public Schools that have a great reputation. There are some neighborhoods that would fit you price criteria and some even have community pools and tennis courts which is a great way to raise children and meet neighbors. It would be a quick commute for your husband and very easy access to the light rail for you.
School district boundaries converge in this area, but I-25 and C-470 is in Douglas County and is served by Douglas County School District.

As a general rule:

- Homes that are south of County Line Rd are in Douglas County and children go to DCSD schools.
- Homes that are north of County Line Rd and west of Holly are in Littleton/Centennial and children go to Littleton Public Schools
- Homes that are north of County Line Rd and east of Holly are in Centennial and children go to Cherry Creek Schools.

All are good districts, but if you are looking for a specific school district, you need to make sure where you are, especially for Cherry Creek Schools which has fewer school of choice opportunities.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

103 posts, read 291,997 times
I grew up in the Columbine area and also work in this area. I think it is hard to say if there is a specific demographic in this area. My parents street (Columbine Hills) is starting to get older. They have been there 25 years. My in-laws street (Columbine Knolls South) is also older some with original owners. But, in both neighborhoods as the older generation leaves younger families move in as with most neighborhoods. It might be a little harder to get into Columbine Knolls South as your budget is somewhat on the lower end of this area, but Columbine Hills, Columbine West and maybe parts of the original Columbine Knolls would work. I have seen plenty of kids in both areas but might depend on the particular street. Columbine Knolls and Columbine Knolls South both go to Normandy Elem. which is one of the best in Colorado. I think this is a great place to live, however, it is bit far from downtown depending on your tolerance level, but a doable commute for both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver