Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM

91 posts, read 151,479 times

Advertisements

We have to move for work, and Denver is one of our two final choices, Columbus OH being the other.

If we move to Denver, I would love to commute to work (which is downtown at 16th and Broadway) via light rail, or regular railroad. However, my search is being stymied by the rather mystifying online maps of the routes.

Is there somewhere that I can get a printable online map that shows the various lines (including the future routes) overlaid to city streets so I can figure out where everything goes? The best one I've found so far is this one: http://www.rtd-denver.com/images/FasTracks-map.jpg, but the resolution is too low to make it useful when printed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM

459 posts, read 807,646 times
It's not that printable, but since it's google maps it allows you to zoom in to the level of detail needed to get an accurate location. Also if you zoom in enough you will see station locations.

FasTracks System Map

Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,089 times
You can try this:

RTD

Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Not for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale View Post
would love to commute to work (which is downtown at 16th and Broadway) via light rail, or regular railroad
1. Denver has no heavy rail for commuters.
2. Light rail is limited.
3. You need to consider buses. There are a number of express bus routes filled with commuters.

4. This will get you a map. RTD It appears that they will mail it to you via the post IFF you live in Colorado. Insane, I know. I have not been able to find a detailed PDF map.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM

91 posts, read 151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Denver has no heavy rail for commuters.
2. Light rail is limited.
3. You need to consider buses. There are a number of express bus routes filled with commuters.

4. This will get you a map. RTD It appears that they will mail it to you via the post IFF you live in Colorado. Insane, I know. I have not been able to find a detailed PDF map.
Yeah, I saw that they will only mail maps to Colorado residents. Great.

Do residents just call the system "light rail"? I just said "regular railroad" because the maps I have seen make a distinction between light rail and commuter rail. I should learn the nomenclature.

Off to look for an express bus map!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM

459 posts, read 807,646 times
Quote:

Do residents just call the system "light rail"? I just said "regular railroad" because the maps I have seen make a distinction between light rail and commuter rail. I should learn the nomenclature.

Commuter Rail vs light rail is standard transit nomenclature. None of RTD's commuter rail lines are finished so a large percentage of people in the metro still think all of the lines are going to be light rail, and others living here do not realize the differences warrant different terminology.

I think when we get our first commuter rail and people see it in action they will start to call it something other than light rail. But as of now we do not have commonly accepted local nomenclature to distinguish between the two types of rail like other cities do.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,089 times
Quote:

Residents call it light rail, but that's because the existing lines are all light rail and people are unaware that 4 of the five lines that are under construction will consist of commuter rail using Silverliner V cars (the same that are found in Philly on SEPTA lines). I'm pretty sure that people will come up with a different term when they see how different the cars on the Gold, East, North, and NW lines will be. Or maybe we'll start calling the rail system "the Metro" or "the Rail"....

Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
The only RTD rail line that are currently open are the Southwest, Southeast, and West lines. The East, I-225, and Gold lines are supposed to be open in 2016. A number of my colleagues take express buses from the Northwest and Northern suburbs and seem to enjoy the ride.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Hopefully someone in the Denver Metro Area will do what someone did in the DC area and that is to publish a booklet that had great maps and photographs of the areas around all of the stations on the DC metro system. It was available on-line and in print version that I used to keep in my briefcase.

In the online version you can click on any station name and get info for the area around that station. Try it.

I've always thought that putting together such a booklet would be a cool retirement job for LiveContent who is one of our authorities on the system.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
We have to move for work, and Denver is one of our two final choices, Columbus OH being the other.

If we move to Denver, I would love to commute to work (which is downtown at 16th and Broadway) via light rail, or regular railroad. However, my search is being stymied by the rather mystifying online maps of the routes.

Is there somewhere that I can get a printable online map that shows the various lines (including the future routes) overlaid to city streets so I can figure out where everything goes? The best one I've found so far is this one: http://www.rtd-denver.com/images/FasTracks-map.jpg, but the resolution is too low to make it useful when printed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Here you go. High resolution. No more detail, but it's high resolution.

BTW, keep in mind that those north lines won't be completed for another 30 years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver