Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times

Advertisements

I use to live a couple miles from the beach. I went there all the time and of course I still enjoy it.

BUT...... every time I am visiting socal and I go to the beach, I can't stand the crowds.

Too many people are making it impossible to enjoy what socal has to offer. Every where you go it is too crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 19,863 times
Being from Florida now living in Denver I really do miss the Ocean i have been here for the past 3 years and i cant wait to move back to the East coast in march

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,688 times
I was worried about this too, being from San Diego. The only thing that I'll miss about the ocean for any length of time is how it enables me to know where north/south/east/west are!
I can't remember the last time I went to the beach, much less swam, and I live 10 miles from the ocean.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:58 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,665 times
Well we just plan almost every vacation (Mexico, Italy, Florida, California, etc!) around a beach. That way we get to spend time doing nothing and laying on one (and a good one, too!) as opposed to paying a fortune to live near one.

We can take our family of four to an awesome beach in Mexico for a week for maybe $2000, including all meals, tour tickets, etc. What an awesome trip, and no traffic, no pollution, etc.

My parents grew up in the Hermosa and Redondo Beach areas of CA. My Dad missed it horribly, so he went to Mexico and Hawaii on vacation. After being places like those, CA beaches dont seem so fun anyways.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
I've lived my entire life far, far inland (18 years in Denver, 4 in Phoenix). I've only seen the ocean a couple of times. I drove to San Diego (from Phoenix) earlier this May so I could get my fill of the ocean-- before then it had been about 5 or 6 years. San Diego is a great place to visit. I love the ocean, and think it's beautiful and peaceful, but I'm okay with visiting it on vacation once in awhile. I don't feel like I have to live by the ocean 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The beach???? why??? When we live on an Island, here in Denver, Colorado.

We in Denver are islanders, with the eastern shores, the rolling grasslands of the great plain. Denver butts agains the rising peaks of the vast craggy, rolling, mysterious mountains on the western shores.

We in Denver are on a remote island, the remotest large city in the continental United States. We must go thousands of miles from our shores to come to another city.

We in Denver are an island oasis in the middle of the harshness of the mountains and plains, we know the parchness of these oceans and how they can destroy the unprepared sailor, who knows not the ways of the dessert oceans of mountains and grass.

We in Denver sail into our oceans with our autocrafts, challenging the grand moutain swells and the swift currents of grasslands.

We in Denver hear that past the mountain and grassland oceans, are lands of incredible stress and unhappiness; we are happily marooned on our island.

We in Denver can take a walk on the beaches of our oceans and experience the magnitude of the grass expanse and the mightiness of the mountainous heights.

A Denver Islander

Livecontent
Wow, Livecontent, your post was amazing! Very poetic. I agree, there's a special feeling to living in a big city in the "middle of nowhere" with vast grasslands stretching to the east for hundreds and hundreds of miles and a wall of mountains to the west. The Great Plains feels like a sea of land. Actually, the entire Great Plains and the central of what is today North America was once underwater- millions of years ago.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
...we get to spend time doing nothing and laying on one....
That's called PS&E, for Press Sand & Eat.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:53 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
I was worried about this too, being from San Diego. The only thing that I'll miss about the ocean for any length of time is how it enables me to know where north/south/east/west are!
I can't remember the last time I went to the beach, much less swam, and I live 10 miles from the ocean.
Can we trade for a week? My home here in denver for yours in SD. Since you don't use your 10 mile ocean commute I would be happy to use it for you

Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That's called PS&E, for Press Sand & Eat.
But what about those beers for 10 pesos as you laying there pressing sand? Ahhhh, Mexico.....

Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Can we trade for a week? My home here in denver for yours in SD. Since you don't use your 10 mile ocean commute I would be happy to use it for you
SURE! Not a problem. If you can wait a month or two, I'll even sell you my house!

Actually, I think I'll appreciate the ocean more when I don't live near it. But I think I'd rather be on a Hawaiian beach instead of a San Diego beach - BTDT.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,859 times
Default Either mountains or water...

I have heard that people are either mountain people or water people... (I'm sure there are some in between too...)

If you are a water person and must be near a large body of water then you may not like Denver... I am a mountain person though and have been 2 miles from the Pacific Ocean for 5 years now and I really miss the mountains! I am planning to move back to Denver to be near the mountains... but I actually don't feel rejuvenated by water... not like mountains.

Maybe there are other cities that have more water? Chicago... Milwaukee... Seattle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver