Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,064 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to the Denver area but have a big, well trained American Bulldog who is dog & people friendly. What areas do not have BSL? How sad that those of us who have good dogs can't live where we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,071,554 times
You will need to research every town you consider. Best to pick one that has rejected such legislation and stay away from the borders of cities that have the legislation so you can walk your dog without worry.

Here is a list of cities to avoid.

Denver Area Breed Bans

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,594,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert2 View Post
Considering a move to the Denver area but have a big, well trained American Bulldog who is dog & people friendly. What areas do not have BSL? How sad that those of us who have good dogs can't live where we want.
I think American Bulls are fine in Denver. Just Pit Bulls are banned.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,064 times
Skydog77,

Thank you for the information. I think It's going to be difficult. Henry is recognized as an American Bulldog by those who know their breeds but often mistaken for a very tall Pittie. I will certainly take your advice and do very careful research.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 AM

60 posts, read 175,361 times
One thing to keep in mind with BSL is many of the cities have clauses that state something along the lines of "Or any dog displaying a majority of pitbull-type traits." While this may not be a big issue to people with the knowledge and experience to tell the difference, some will group all bully-type dogs together and call them pits. Fair? Not at all. But people with minimal breed knowledge and recognition are occasionally hired into positions of authority and can make life very hard for bully owners.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,594,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert2 View Post
Skydog77,

Thank you for the information. I think It's going to be difficult. Henry is recognized as an American Bulldog by those who know their breeds but often mistaken for a very tall Pittie. I will certainly take your advice and do very careful research.
Curious if he has breeder papers. If so I would imagine that this would be plenty of proof for the city government. If not, a doggy DNA test would handle it if you are very concerned. I see American Bulls around the city a bit. Be sure to license the dog with the city as soon as you move here. Cover your bases.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
Default having a hard time finding a place for me and my dog

I am currently looking to make the move to the Denver area and I know that there is a breed restriction on pitbulls in the Denver county and some of the surrounding areas. when I do find places in counties that don't have the breed restrictions the property owners still wont allow for me to have a pit. does anyone have any good ideas on how to get around this? Or know of anywhere that would rent to a pit owner/ just general advice on what I should do? im becoming more and more frustrated with the situation and im just not sure as to what I should do?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 PM

356 posts, read 625,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover 2012 View Post
I am currently looking to make the move to the Denver area and I know that there is a breed restriction on pitbulls in the Denver county and some of the surrounding areas. when I do find places in counties that don't have the breed restrictions the property owners still wont allow for me to have a pit. does anyone have any good ideas on how to get around this? Or know of anywhere that would rent to a pit owner/ just general advice on what I should do? im becoming more and more frustrated with the situation and im just not sure as to what I should do?

Thanks!

Sadly this is the exact thing that happens when people haveno clue about K9 behavior and create BSL. Any dog can become aggressive if mistreated and pitsare no exception, they just get the most press. We had such a hard time findinga rental that would accept our GSD. We got lucky with our current place becausethey owned a GSD themselves. I don't have any suggestions on how to maneuveraround this absurd law other than be patient and keep searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver