Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 AM

271 posts, read 1,380,910 times

Advertisements

The first winter after I moved to Denver, I had irritated hands and had to use moisturizer. My hands also easily soaked up water and got all wrinkly. But after about a year, I adapted and have not had these problems anymore. I've also adapted to the higher elevation & don't notice it anymore. It's tougher for some people than for others. I'd recommend not using moisturizer unless you are in pain, otherwise your body might not adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My husband has a lot of trouble with his fingers drying and cracking. We've used stuff called Bag Balm, and also some heavy-duty gop he orders through the veterinarian, both specially formulated for cow's udders so that they don't dry and crack. Now we get fresh milk every morning ;-)
Bag Balm is good stuff!
I used it too.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
I read somewhere that the dryness can be a big problem for contact lens wearers. Anyone have any input on this? Is it true that some people can't wear contacts anymore once they move to Denver?

I wear soft lenses and they don't bother me during the day at all -- only if I accidentally fall asleep on the couch or something with them in.

On the other hand, my skin is still very dry after living here since July -- I use lotion religiously, but could drink some more water on a daily basis.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
I read somewhere that the dryness can be a big problem for contact lens wearers. Anyone have any input on this? Is it true that some people can't wear contacts anymore once they move to Denver?
My eye doctor recommended just getting the sterile saline and using that as rewetting solution. It is MUCH cheaper. I have used it for years. Usually a couple drops in the morning (I wear Night and Day monthlies) is all I need.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
I didn't think I'd have to much of a problem with the dryness, but its been mostly affecting my hands....especially the skin around my nails. The skin around my nails will suddenly crack open & start to bleed. Its bloody painful! At one point this week I had 3 band aids on 10 of my fingers.
Can anyone recommend a good hand lotion to use? I've tried to use Bath & Body Works, but it does not help at all. In fact I think it makes it worse I have a lotion that a former co-worker from back east actually makes herself & it really works, but I want to buy something that I can keep at work. Does Neutrogena work?
Go to Vitamin Cottage, get a quart of castor oil. It is very thick and has healing properties. No perfumes or anything that might sting. Rub it on hands and feet before bed. If you can suffer it, put on mittens and socks after applying the castor oil. Works like a dream.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Why do men even HAVE nipples? My brother Mark had Springer Spaniels and a litter of puppies and while he was sleeping he awoke to this God-aweful pain! His puppies wouldn't stop trying to nurse on him! He had to wear a t-shirt to bed! How do women deal with that?
OK, that is about as funny as when my mother traipsed through the horse pasture and a foal bit her boob, trying to nurse. Talk about ouch!

For human babies, it doesn't hurt. The first few days after the baby, its weird, but if it hurt women wouldnt do it, and none of you would exist. Enfamil would have never existed, either, because nobody would have existed to develop it.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Lovethebigcity:

For cuticles, try Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme. It's good stuff and smells really good, too.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
I am a Denver native who travels all over the country and Denver is dry. I use Lubiderm from head to toe right after I shower, use lip balm right after brushing my teeth a few times a day, and use Ocean nose spray and monthly a swab of oientment inside my nostrils. I ended up going the route of Lasik as gas permeable lens constantly bothered me. Winter is dryer then the summer months and we do have a monsoon season in June through July. Unfortunately, I have become so religiously committed to this mosturizing regime that when I end up in Miami or Houston, I forget that I don't need to do all of this and end up feeling slimy for a day or two. On the upside, I would take dry over humid any day. Wearing work clothes in a humid environment is just horrible, not to mention all the bugs and the size at which they grow in the southern part of our country. A 3 inch roach in Louisiana is still a roach, even if you try to dress it up by calling it a Palmetto Bug! You can always moisturize for our climate but there is not much you can do about humidity, other then sweat and start a bug collection!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM

388 posts, read 328,669 times
The dry weather here is a pain in the ass, but it sure is comfortable! I'm male and not very feminine, so I don't spend my time putting on a bunch of lotion all day, but it's probably the right thing to do. Basically I take a shower, but on a layer of lotion (face) & I'm out the door. Once in a while I'll get real freaky and apply another layer at night before bed.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
I have been here since 1971 except 4 years in Illinois. I can't stand the dryness--it is actually painful to me now, I am 53 and never go out during the middle of the day anymore if I can avoid it. The sun is harsh and the cold is harsh, I can hardly wait until I am able to quit my job and move. I am a blonde nordic type and my skin is precancerous, wrinkled, and ugly brown and my mother who has been out here also as a child has had several lesions removed. Many people who spend a lot of time outdoors end up with skin cancer.

People who are dark skinned or of mediterranean skin type don't seem to mind it.

P.S. If you are like me, nothing works. I use sesame oil, purchased cheaply at Walgreens, and slather it on right in the shower after I dry off. I use it all over my body. I only shower twice a week to avoid drying my skin. I use ridiculously expensive French moisturizers on my face, after having tried every product known to man, including all of the ones listed above. If you have skin allergies it's even worse. In the fall, I have to put one of the vasoline-type hospital moisturizers on my feet and wear socks to bed to prevent my callouses from cracking and bleeding. Chapstick--several times a day every day, just for work. Hand lotion or creme--twice a day. Still, I am always itchy especially in winter. Sunscreen--SPF 30 on my face (special version) and hands and arms, etc.

It sounds like you might be allergic to the perfume in the stuff, as I am. Try only using the sesame oil or anything which is totally hyperallergenic

Sweat feels good compared to this.

Last edited by esya; 11-30-2007 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: