Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM

249 posts, read 1,030,813 times

Advertisements

Esya, do you use a humidifier - that's the most important thing of all in my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,657 times
I'm with Esya on this - although I've only been here for 2 years, I am not adjusting to the dryness, although it is more of a sinus/respiratory problem. In fact, I seem to become more sensitive to the dryness with time. When it is dry outside (a lot of the time), I don't want to leave my apartment (with multiple humidifiers). On very dry days, I can get a sore throat and sinus headache just walking 10 minutes from the bus stop to my office - it feels like the dry air is searing my nose and throat. When I travel to a humid area, the air feels soothing and my sinuses are much happier.

Clearly, most people do not have this sort of reaction, but not everyone is happy in a very dry climate. I spent 20+ years in DC without air conditioning, and I'll take August in DC over August in Denver, hands down.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,722,266 times
Humidifiers are nice when you are home but you might as well live on the oregon coast if you have to stay inside all the time, eh?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:15 PM

I agree, but somehow sleeping with my humidifier next to me helps a lot - I certainly don't stay inside all the time. But, I can tell you that if my humidifier goes off/runs out of water in the middle of the night it wakes me up because I can tell the difference even when I'm asleep. Somehow the dryness doesn't bother me during the day - very strange!!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 PM

435 posts, read 1,816,456 times
Thankfully my hands haven't cracked in the past week or so (knock on wood). Maybe it was the first shock of winter that got me & my body has finally become adjusted. Let's see what happens when I go back to the southeast for Christmas & I'm in the warm weather & then come back to the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
On the upside, I would take dry over humid any day. Wearing work clothes in a humid environment is just horrible, not to mention all the bugs and the size at which they grow in the southern part of our country. A 3 inch roach in Louisiana is still a roach, even if you try to dress it up by calling it a Palmetto Bug! You can always moisturize for our climate but there is not much you can do about humidity, other then sweat and start a bug collection!
I totally agree. I lived in the south for most of my life & can't stand the humidity. I generally ended up taking two showers a day during the summer because its so darn hot & sticky. Its hot outside & then you walk into an office building but it still feels hot in there even if the AC is on. I never adjusted to it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-02-2007 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Maybe I should ask for a humidifier for Christmas. I hate Denver's dryness. I'm a midwest native (of 27 years) that moved to San Diego county (for 3 years) and then moved to Denver. I am dried out from head to toe; I really dislike the dryness here. And it's only winter! I really can't wait to find out what summer dryness is like!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 AM

Denver is definitely drier in the winter than in the summer. I've noticed it getting dryer the past two weeks, actually. Forced air heat makes it worse, of course. For those of you concerned about the dryness and looking at buying a home, radiant heat can make a big difference! Humidifier, lotion, chapstick and lots of water!

Last edited by kristenfromdenver; 12-03-2007 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 01:23 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,093,796 times
You are so right Kristen, home heaters make it worse in the winter. I turn mine off at night and us a heater humidifier when sleeping. I can imagine people from warmer climates wanting to use their heaters more to help adjust to the cold, but it will dry out your skin quicker. Additionally, staying in a hot shower too long will also dry out your skin, yet it is another place to warm up. Your shower will feel fine when in it, but water that is too hot and if you are in for too long, will cause you to remove too much of your bodies own natural oils. Spring and Summer are much easier as it is more humid during our monsoon season. It is all part of our four seasons and when Spring hits, you will appreciate the blossoms and greenery all that much more. Warm climate folks tend to take their natural foilage for granted. Nothing like the cherry blossoms to wake up a sleepy tree!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM

456 posts, read 1,578,494 times
I've started to notice how drier it has become over the last couple weeks. My lips and hands have started cracking and it is painful!! I need to keep the lip balm and hand cream close!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM

435 posts, read 1,816,456 times
I'm now having the problem that everything I touch gives me a electric shock. Is that caused by the dry air in some way? Everytime I go to turn on a light in my place I have to touch the wall with my arm or back before I touch the light switch. Same thing happens at work too. Its starting to bug me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: