Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How good is the light rail system? Isn't it expanding down the I36 corridor and out toward DTC? Is there a good website which discusses the long term plans for expansion?

Has anyone used it with any success? If so do you avoid using it during the winter months when walking is required from the stop to your destination?

Thanks,

- Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Light Rail is operated by RTD The Regional Transportation District Home Page -- currently, there are two corridors, southeast (which serves DTC and the other office parks further south) and the southwest corridor, which serves the suburbs of Englewood and Littleton. IMO it's a pretty good system that I've taken a fair bit, but I don't take it every day as I don't work in the same office every day.

In the SE corridor there's a service called Call-n-Ride that serves the office park that will give you door-to-door service. Basically, you call them on your cell phone once you know when you'll arrive at your stop, and they take you to your office door. If you arrive in the morning at the Belleview, Orchard, or other big office stops, there's probably no need to call as there will be Call-n-Ride minibuses lined up at the stops to shuttle around office buildings.

Future corridors are going to be built as part of the Fastracks initiative, but this is long out into the future. The earliest corridor (the West Corridor to Golden) will come on-line in 2013, with other corridors like the US-36 corridor to Boulder coming on-line in 2015 and 2016. All told, there will be rail (not necessarily light rail) between downtown Denver and Golden (west corridor), Arvada (Gold Line), Boulder (NW Rail), Longmont (NW Rail), Thornton (North Metro, as well as light rail down I-225 to service Aurora, and extensions to the existing SE and SW corridors into Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree.

However, bus service to Boulder today is actually pretty good right now, with every-15-minute or better service during rush hours between Boulder and Denver, not including 2 express bus services per hour (Downtown Denver to Downtown Boulder). So, if you're inclined to take transit on the US-36 corridor you're probably going to do fine even now; I'm not sure that rail will end up being that much better than the current system on the US-3 corridor.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM

291 posts, read 2,075,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
However, bus service to Boulder today is actually pretty good right now, with every-15-minute or better service during rush hours between Boulder and Denver, not including 2 express bus services per hour (Downtown Denver to Downtown Boulder).
Boulder is a big supporter of the bus system, so service is better than average. And, the busses between BLDR & DEN are not your rickety city busses, most of them are comfy coaches. It's actually more civilized than Light Rail.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
My mom uses it everyday to get to work. She actually prefers to use it during storms because then she doesn't have to deal with traffic. She wears plenty of layers so waiting for a few minutes outside isn't that big of a deal. But then again she drives to a park and ride and her work is across the street from a station. That kind of cuts down on the walk time.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 19,592 times
Default Help! In need of rail...

My family and I are looking to move to Denver. My husband is an area manager for a railcar repair company. We're hoping to start a new shop in the area. Does anyone know of any businesses or companies that use railcars? Any with trains running around them? If so, please let us know. Thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM

37 posts, read 210,503 times
To answer your first question, removed- this is the website containing the plans for future development of the LightRail system.

As for the LightRail being useful, I have heard nothing but good comments from people about it. I haven't used it much, but that's just because I don't live / work downtown.

If you're interested in seeing a more detailed map of the current LightRail lines than what RTD currently offers, you should check out the removed

Last edited by Marka; 06-15-2007 at 04:51 AM..

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM

14 posts, read 84,318 times
Default Stupid light rail question

Is there any light rail service to Fitz that runs to Littleton, Centennial, or S. Aurora? If not, any plans for the future?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumn question, I haven't moved to Denver yet, and I can't figure out the damn light rail map!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
There are no such things as stupid questions on this Forum!

No light rail to Fitzsimmons. Light rail goes from Littleton to downtown and from Lincoln Avenue up I-25 past the Denver Tech center to downtown. One spur to I-225 and Parker Road. There are plans for the future, probably way distant future. Check the Regional Transportation District web site.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM

37 posts, read 210,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberfoss View Post
Is there any light rail service to Fitz that runs to Littleton, Centennial, or S. Aurora? If not, any plans for the future?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumn question, I haven't moved to Denver yet, and I can't figure out the damn light rail map!

Hey wilberfoss - I have two sites for you to check out- first - for a more interactive lightrail map than what rtd offers, check out this Light Rail Map Page . As for plans for the future, you can check out the map that shows the plans for the Light Rail system, coined the "FasTracks" project, here is a link for the RTD FasTracks Interactive Map

Hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 PM

14 posts, read 84,318 times
Thanks - definitely helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver