Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I like parks, roads, and public services too much.
The Libertarians put property rights ahead of human rights. That's my biggest beef with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Gary Johnson never mentioned religion during his campaign AFAIK. He's a Christian with 2 brothers who are ministers, but he doesn't talk about that at all. He really does care about everyone just the way they are. He says we should have all our Constitutional freedoms back. He was passing around rolling papers at college campuses while Mormon Romney was saying marijuana will never be legal under my presidency.
Gary fell nearly 50 feet, broken bones in back, rib & knee. No opiates or operation, just cannabis for 3 years. He's still a great athlete & adventurer.

Gary Johnson has a store on cafepress.com/ He could really use some encouragement for 2016. Pretty sure he'll promote Libertarians for Governor, Congress, etc, for election this November. I find it interesting he is so truly original. A self-made millionaire that built his own modest house. Instead of $10,000 a plate dinners, he was hosting picnics in parks! He got votes for 1 cent each from his website.
Republicans kept him out of most debates & polls, so he went Libertarian & Republicans made him collect signatures all over again. He was promising a balanced budget 1st year, he really knows how to save $$.

You could ask Gary anything & he had positions on issues based on what most wanted. What a great guy!
A very accessible president, he had internet town halls & he'd stick around until every question was asked & answered. Try getting that from a Republican or Democrat.

Wealthy Bob Barr running for Presidency as Libertarian just about ruined the party. Low or no taxes for wealthy & not caring about much else AFAIK. Libertarian party is 3rd largest & fasted growing party. Gary
made some great internet videos. Look for 2014 Libertarian candidates on lp.org/ Best wishes.
Yes, Gary Johnson is a Lutheran. He has a lot of alternative medicine ideas as well.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,684,647 times
Quote:
Have you noticed that libertarians never address their non support for the "public commons"?
They remain a fringe party because many of their positions have zero support in the real world.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,921,149 times
After watching Pres. Obama make a complete fool of himself by appearing on Zach Galifianakis's mock talk show I'm glad I didn't vote for him in 2012. What an embarrassment!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM

22 posts, read 26,467 times
The libertarian party was actually started in Colorado Springs, which seems to me to have a lot of libertarians. Their headquarters is also in Westminster, so I'd say that Colorado has a decent amount of libertarians.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM

897 posts, read 1,254,449 times
Thanks everyone this is definitely showing me the good and bad of the movement from individuals' point of you. I seem to fall in the same line as most people since I am pro liberty, freedom to make our own decisions, fiscally conservative, but at the same time I do support environmental protection, wildlife conservation, and support public funds for things such as parks, trails, and common areas.

GJJG2012 - I could do without the sales pitch honestly.

I guess I wouldn't be qualified as libertarian but some of the things they propose make sense to me.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

224 posts, read 560,269 times
Quote:
..and clean(er) water and air.

I am curious how Libertarian folks feel about federal government regulating and protecting natural resources. Should there be none, or less / better than we have now? What, in the Libertrian universe, prevents corporations from becoming massive polluters of the environment.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM

261 posts, read 705,667 times
I used to think libertarian ideas were interesting when I was younger. Then I saw what happens when you deregulate markets during the last crash. The only issues I agree with libertarians on these days are gay rights and drug policy. There are too many other turn offs like the environment, guns, financial markets, infrastructure, education, etc. for me to take libertarians seriously.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,221,831 times
And thus so many Americans fall in line. I think it's more the media that has us so viciously divided between political ideologies. Most of us have some well thought out reasons for positions that contradict party platforms...and some not so well thought out reasons for other positions. We're interested in what makes the world look more like how we want to see it...and in what satisfies our own sense of ego.

I think Colorado, more than other places I've lived, is much more loose about political divisions. My boss and I are friends...we disagree on guns and the environment (though never vehemently), but we both recognize where the other person is coming from. We manage to find some common ground on taxes, economics and social issues, but not completely. Nevertheless, I think we're both better people for it.

If Colorado has a "libertarian" streak, I think it's more "libertarian" with a lower-case "L". We like to think for ourselves, but try not to be too close minded to other ideas or how they might originate. The details of party platforms...well...I haven't found a party yet that represents me, but I hate the incessant self declaration of "Independent" so many people adhere to...usually people that aren't.

Colorado. Open minded, private, playful, thoughtful, and willing to try new things.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,582,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
After watching Pres. Obama make a complete fool of himself by appearing on Zach Galifianakis's mock talk show I'm glad I didn't vote for him in 2012. What an embarrassment!
I thought that was hilarious!

I'm pretty sure that anyone who thinks Obama made a fool out of himself on that show already thought he was a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver