Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my (rather long!) post, and offer any recommendations and advice!

I'm currently living in Wichita, Kansas (not by choice, but due to the necessity of a career move) and finally have the opportunity to make a move back closer to the mountains. I spent several years in California (ughhh!) prior to Kansas, and have missed my "mountain time" there tremendously! (fortunately, with Colorado being an easy days drive from Wichita, I am still able to spend my summer vacations in the Rockies)

My new job allows me the flexibility of really living anywhere, so I've been contemplating which city close to the mountains would be the best fit for me. Really, as far as my job is concerned, all I need is a decent-sized airport for flights I'll take a couple times a month. Once I make the decision as to where I'll move, I would like to rent for a while to get to know the city and neighborhoods better, and then move forward into purchasing a home. Based on research that I've done into various cities close to the mountains (and a somewhat closer move from Wichita) Denver is tops on my list.

Okay, so here goes:

BUDGET: Ideally, I would like to spend upwards of $1100-$1200 for a one bedroom apartment (lots of space really isn't an issue, as I'm recently divorced and will be leaving my ex-Wife the majority of our furniture and household goods. We have no kids either). Having done some pricing on apartments in the Denver area, I realize that my budget may be a bit on the "lower" side? I've found a few apartments online that seem to be to my liking, yet it's obviously difficult to get the "truth" from Internet photos. I'm looking for something somewhat new(er), modern amenities, good neighborhood, assigned parking and/or garage, etc. Basically, a place that I feel safe living in, is peaceful, and has considerate neighbors (I guess I'm spoiled with the place I have here in Kansas, so forgive my desire to live in apartment "utopia" :-).

- LOCATION: As I'm not very familiar with the areas of Denver, location is what I was hoping to get your insight on? I would prefer a more laid-back, quaint, friendly, "piece-and-quiet" type of suburban area, versus the hip, trendy downtown vibe (having lived in cities such as San Francisco before, I enjoyed that at the time, yet it's just not my thing anymore). I would ideally like a neighborhood that is (obviously) SAFE, clean, has its share of necessities (nice grocery stores, decent restaurants, a good health club, etc) and also has natural elements, such as parks, hiking trails, etc. I haven't explored any areas near the foothills, yet just assumed the closer to the mountains = more expensive?

I did some very preliminary research on areas such as Lone Tree, Castle Pines and Castle Rock, and seem to think those types of areas may be more to my liking. I even looked at Colorado Springs (seems like that's a bit more affordable?) yet would prefer to be somewhat closer to Denver International Airport. Would there be any other areas that you may recommend? Are areas such as Aurora and Littleton decent?

I apologize if I may have omitted anything in particular that may have made my questions easier to answer! Again, I appreciate any insight and/or recommendations you all may have.

Thanks for your time!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
I feel like I should be helpful because Dave is not being helpful. However I don't think I can be very helpful other than to say most areas are decent. You obviously know you want to stay out of the trendy, hip areas. You obviously know your budget is low. You obviously know the ones you can afford may or may not work for you. Peaceful and considerate neighbors obviously depends on the particular neighbors that you have and one place in any given complex can be fine and another can be not fine. Sorry to be so unhelpful but no amount of research is going to direct you to the "right" place with the "right" neighbors. Your questions are too broad and with no job to anchor you recommendations are hard to make when so many places (as long as you have the budget) would work just fine.

Last edited by mic111; 05-20-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 08:25 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Try the area around downtown Littleton.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM

Mic111, thank you! Sorry if I was too broad (I totally agree with you, now that I re-read my post). I'm sure there are many, many areas that would be to my liking and offer what I'm looking for. I'm planning on taking a few days next month to drive to Denver, and just spend some time exploring the area. Hopefully, that will help me answer some questions that only I can have answers to.

Lost Roses, thank you as well. I'll certainly give Littleton a look!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Speaking as someone who lived in Eastern Kansas for 5 years, you're making a great choice!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM

SkyDog77, thanks! I'm certainly looking forward to the change!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSFlyfisher View Post
Hello all! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my (rather long!) post, and offer any recommendations and advice!

I'm currently living in Wichita, Kansas (not by choice, but due to the necessity of a career move) and finally have the opportunity to make a move back closer to the mountains. I spent several years in California (ughhh!) prior to Kansas, and have missed my "mountain time" there tremendously! (fortunately, with Colorado being an easy days drive from Wichita, I am still able to spend my summer vacations in the Rockies)

My new job allows me the flexibility of really living anywhere, so I've been contemplating which city close to the mountains would be the best fit for me. Really, as far as my job is concerned, all I need is a decent-sized airport for flights I'll take a couple times a month. Once I make the decision as to where I'll move, I would like to rent for a while to get to know the city and neighborhoods better, and then move forward into purchasing a home. Based on research that I've done into various cities close to the mountains (and a somewhat closer move from Wichita) Denver is tops on my list.

Okay, so here goes:

BUDGET: Ideally, I would like to spend upwards of $1100-$1200 for a one bedroom apartment (lots of space really isn't an issue, as I'm recently divorced and will be leaving my ex-Wife the majority of our furniture and household goods. We have no kids either). Having done some pricing on apartments in the Denver area, I realize that my budget may be a bit on the "lower" side? I've found a few apartments online that seem to be to my liking, yet it's obviously difficult to get the "truth" from Internet photos. I'm looking for something somewhat new(er), modern amenities, good neighborhood, assigned parking and/or garage, etc. Basically, a place that I feel safe living in, is peaceful, and has considerate neighbors (I guess I'm spoiled with the place I have here in Kansas, so forgive my desire to live in apartment "utopia" :-).

- LOCATION: As I'm not very familiar with the areas of Denver, location is what I was hoping to get your insight on? I would prefer a more laid-back, quaint, friendly, "piece-and-quiet" type of suburban area, versus the hip, trendy downtown vibe (having lived in cities such as San Francisco before, I enjoyed that at the time, yet it's just not my thing anymore). I would ideally like a neighborhood that is (obviously) SAFE, clean, has its share of necessities (nice grocery stores, decent restaurants, a good health club, etc) and also has natural elements, such as parks, hiking trails, etc. I haven't explored any areas near the foothills, yet just assumed the closer to the mountains = more expensive?

I did some very preliminary research on areas such as Lone Tree, Castle Pines and Castle Rock, and seem to think those types of areas may be more to my liking. I even looked at Colorado Springs (seems like that's a bit more affordable?) yet would prefer to be somewhat closer to Denver International Airport. Would there be any other areas that you may recommend? Are areas such as Aurora and Littleton decent?

I apologize if I may have omitted anything in particular that may have made my questions easier to answer! Again, I appreciate any insight and/or recommendations you all may have.

Thanks for your time!

-
Good on you for escaping Kansas at last! If I were you, I'd at least give Colorado Springs a look-see. It's a lovely town with many areas that have nice mountain views, and you will find that the rents are much lower than what they are in Denver. The Springs has a modern airport with direct flights to many places. It's true that often you will have to fly (or drive) to DIA to make a connecting flight, but most of the time that's no big deal. Manitou Springs which shares a boundary with Colorado Springs is a very nice little town in the foothills with many great views, proximity to parks and trails, and maybe a 15 minute drive to some of the nicer restaurants in the Springs. In fact, Manitou has some nice restaurants of its own. You may also want to check out lower Skyway and the Patty Jewett areas for many of the amenities on your list. I also like Rockrimmon, but don't know what the housing prices are like there these days.

From your user name, I strongly suspect that you are a fly fisherman. Colorado Springs is near some primo flyfishing spots including 11 MILE CANYON, DECKERS, CHEESMAN CANYON, the ARKANSAS (when rafting season has slowed down), and the SOUTH PLATTE RIVER. All these places are easier to get to from the Springs.

I wish you well on your upcoming move. I'd avoid Denver myself, but that's just me.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Thanks a bunch, Colorado Rambler!! I actually started out looking into Colorado Springs, and was definitely impressed with the area. I may focus more on it now, considering it appears I may get more rental for my dollar than the Denver vicinity. I traveled through Manitou Springs many years ago, and recall it to be very cool! I'll certainly check it out!

And, yes, the allure of fly-fishing is exactly why I'm heading back closer to the mountains! I've read up on every river that you mentioned, and was initially planning my last vacation to fish the 11-mile Canyon, amongst others you named of. Ended up spending 5 days up in Almont fishing the Gunnison and Taylor...had an absolute blast!!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:03 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Give Longmont some consideration as well. For one thing - if you will be relying on good internet for you job, the city is installing the 1 Gig service. We have great trails and parks, if you like beer there seems to be a brewery popping up on every corner lately, and lots of great, local restaurants, 2 weekly farmer's markets, etc.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSFlyfisher View Post
Thanks a bunch, Colorado Rambler!! I actually started out looking into Colorado Springs, and was definitely impressed with the area. I may focus more on it now, considering it appears I may get more rental for my dollar than the Denver vicinity. I traveled through Manitou Springs many years ago, and recall it to be very cool! I'll certainly check it out!

And, yes, the allure of fly-fishing is exactly why I'm heading back closer to the mountains! I've read up on every river that you mentioned, and was initially planning my last vacation to fish the 11-mile Canyon, amongst others you named of. Ended up spending 5 days up in Almont fishing the Gunnison and Taylor...had an absolute blast!!
You are more than welcome. Tight lines!

- Rambler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver