Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times

Advertisements

Ohmigosh, did you see how it was destroyed while the SWAT team was trying to get the fugitive to come out? I found it astounding and the homeowner was on the news tonight, understandably outraged.

Greenwood Village SWAT team did shocking damage to a home, says it’s not responsible for paying | FOX31 Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 07:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Unreal, they destroyed a home to grab a shoplifter.....good grief.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I've looked at those photos dozens of times, and I can't wrap my head around it. Just horrifying!

Old 06-06-2015, 07:41 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Having had a home invasion like this in our neighborhood I can say the guy is lucky he didn't get shot. The one in our neighborhood got shot and killed and I can't say there was anyone in the neighborhood who was the least bit sorry. Yes the home had extensive damage but he busted in when a nanny and kids were at home. Good riddance to him.

According to articles this one was armed. He entered the home with a 9 yr old boy at home. There were other guns in the home. He had a lengthy criminal record before doing this home invasion. The police got him with no one hurt, including them selves. I say it was a job well done. I would not expect the police to risk their lives to save some wood and drywall and old clothes/furniture from damage.

The landlord has home insurance which will cover the damage but they are belly aching because the renter didn't have renters insurance. Years ago when my apt. was broken into I had renters insurance. It is a reminder to those that don't that they should pay up and get the insurance. I don't think the city/tax payers should pay. This couple can do a gofundme or get help from red cross etc.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
I agree that renters' insurance would have been a wise move. The numerous stories I watched on the news didn't mention that, only that the owner's insurance would cover the structural damage. I think the fact that the occupants of this house were renting from a parent may have given them a false sense of security and they didn't do what a normal renter would. That aside, it's the astonishment factor that this carnage is what it took to remove the intruder that is so surprising. Who would have thought?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
...it's the astonishment factor that this carnage is what it took to remove the intruder that is so surprising. Who would have thought?
I suppose if they had better luck or were using more deadly force they would have gotten him quicker. Sounds like he was firing at the officers so they would have been justified in sniper killing him but they took the less risky route (to the neighbors so they didn't have alot of gunfire going into their homes) of using chemical weapons to flush him out. What were seeing is 20 hours of attempts to flush him out. If he doesn't come out when ordered they don't have much choice but to flush him out. Better to be aggressive than wait for him to pick off an officer or a neighbor with his gun. I'm sure the neighbors were anxious to go back home after 20 hours of siege and the ones that were home when it started were stuck in side.

"We couldn't even open the window," said Mazen Alaswad, who was stuck in his home next door for the duration of the standoff.
Alaswad said he had no electricity, running water or Internet after it was shut off by tactical units trying to get the man out of his neighbor's home.
Greenwood Village standoff ends after more than 18 hours - The Denver Post
The report says he was trying to get another car so he could go careening off, endangering other people.

Here is another link.
Police standoff in Greenwood Village ends | The Villager Newspaper

As someone who was gone through this I don't think they were in appropriate. They used chemical weapons to try and flush him vs. engaging in gunfire that would have endangered the neighbors. The home invader in our neighborhood caused alot of damage himself by starting a car and ramming around in the interior of the garage (doors, walls etc) before he was shot and killed. Who knows how much of the damage at this house was caused by the home invader vs. the police. From the pictures it looks like he was moving from doors, to windows, both front and back and taking his shots at police from there so you can't really blame them for protecting themselves and the neighborhood.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:08 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
They are suburban police, not SEAL Team 6. Their behavior was outrageous.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:52 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I agree that renters' insurance would have been a wise move. The numerous stories I watched on the news didn't mention that, only that the owner's insurance would cover the structural damage. I think the fact that the occupants of this house were renting from a parent may have given them a false sense of security and they didn't do what a normal renter would. That aside, it's the astonishment factor that this carnage is what it took to remove the intruder that is so surprising. Who would have thought?
Yeah, this is my take as well. I think they were foolish to not have renters insurance to cover their personal property. Not that anyone would ever expect anything like this to happen, but theft, fire, water damage are all things that happen routinely. You hope not to you but that's the point of insurance.

And yes, the degree of force seems somewhat extraordinary.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've looked at those photos dozens of times, and I can't wrap my head around it. Just horrifying!
What a mess!! I don't believe in a lot of the lawsuits that are filed; but if this were my home, if the city or county does not pay; they should get a real good lawyer; in fact, I would do it now!!!! Talk about overkill!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
From a June 7th article at 9News written by Janet Oravetz...

Quote:
"My options are to send a team in to try to find him, and run the risk of him being shot, or the officers being shot, or I run the risk of poking holes in the house with an appropriate tool that's afforded to me so that I can see him and we don't get anybody killed," said Commander Varney. "If you look at the outcome, it's unfortunate, yes, there are holes in that house. We don't plan for that, but if anybody is going to sit there and say that young man's life, even though he's a suspect isn't worth as much as the property, they need to take a look up and rethink really who they are. He may be a suspect in the case but he is a human life, and in law enforcement we value that. We do everything we can to not have to take that life."
Commander Varney needs to stop talking. This nonsense does not make me at all sympathetic to the Greenwood Village Police Department. "There are holes in that house," may be the most stunning understatement of the year.

Furthermore, I'm terribly offended at the implication that I am a callous, blood-thirsty person because I think what they did to that house and surrounding property was appalling. And, seriously, how exactly was it looking out for the suspect's safety to blow holes in the house with explosives? They had turned off the water and power to the home and could have waited the suspect out, preserving both life and property.

I used to think highly of GVPD, but this debacle has made me reconsider. It is time to stop the militarization of suburban police departments. Keep the peace, my ***.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-07-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver