Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

I was at Northfields over the weekend and we smelled someone smoking pot sitting outside on the patio of a restaurant. I was actually surprised at just how noticeable it was - I guess that shows how rarely I come across it in day to day life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

64 posts, read 67,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
I'm sure this question's been asked 1 million times but it's been on my mind as I'm considering somewhere to relocate. I'm currently living in Raleigh, NC and looking to move out west. Denver is on my short list of places I'm looking at and it seems like a pretty awesome place! I am a city person (from Boston originally) but also a huge outdoors/mountains person so it seems like a perfect place for me.

The one major question I have right now is about the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and if it's had any effect on society. Contrary to many people my age, I am not "420 friendly" - I personally do not partake and think the smell is disgusting (just not a fan of any smoking whatsoever). Is this something that is a growing problem from that perspective? From what I've read public consumption is not legal but is this really widespread that I'd have to worry about it in say an apartment building or whatever? From what you hear from people and on the news, you would think that everybody in Colorado is lighting it up but I'm sure that's not the case and it may be just like there are a fair number of drunk people everywhere and you just have to avoid wherever they might be. I personally don't care whether people use marijuana or not - it is their choice but I just don't want to live in an environment where it is in my face 24/7.
Don't move here IMHO. You sound like someone who will become apopleptic at the first SILVER STEM CANNABIS CLEANS THESE ROADS sign on the side of the road. We don't want your blood pressure going up!

If you have to create this kind of thread in the first place, then you definitely are the Harry Anslinger of marijuana.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM

64 posts, read 67,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
Marijuana culture is a prominent lifestyle out here. There are almost as many pot shops as Starbucks (just kidding...kinda). I do smell it pretty frequently, particularly in downtown areas on the weekends and at night.

If you can't stand marijuana, this probably isn't the best place for you. It has begun to play a pretty significant role in the identity of this city. Denver is like the Amsterdam of the US, in my humble opinion.
Not yet. First Denver needs is it's own Red Light District. Then, with the Platte River through the city, we can compare the canals and life in both cities.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 PM

937 posts, read 744,166 times
From time to time, I come across wait staff or guys at the local pizza joint that seem like they could be high. I find them very pleasant, jovial, and amused so there's nothing to even be bothered about. As long as the food comes out okay, and they don't try to snack on it, I couldn't care less if they're high.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:10 AM

18 posts, read 20,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The bottom one is a great pun.

In all my visits to Denver, I think I only smelled it once. I was actually a bit disappointed. LOL. I love the smell, so I wouldn't have minded.

I have family there and no they don't partake.

I also did some apartment hunting while in Denver, and didn't smell it anywhere. I don't think it will be a problem.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:16 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
We've been here a year and the places I remember smelling it are at Red Rocks, the 16th St. mall, and at concerts and plays on the Green in Stapleton.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:05 AM

23 posts, read 29,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
I'm sure this question's been asked 1 million times but it's been on my mind as I'm considering somewhere to relocate. I'm currently living in Raleigh, NC and looking to move out west. Denver is on my short list of places I'm looking at and it seems like a pretty awesome place! I am a city person (from Boston originally) but also a huge outdoors/mountains person so it seems like a perfect place for me.

The one major question I have right now is about the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and if it's had any effect on society. Contrary to many people my age, I am not "420 friendly" - I personally do not partake and think the smell is disgusting (just not a fan of any smoking whatsoever). Is this something that is a growing problem from that perspective? From what I've read public consumption is not legal but is this really widespread that I'd have to worry about it in say an apartment building or whatever? From what you hear from people and on the news, you would think that everybody in Colorado is lighting it up but I'm sure that's not the case and it may be just like there are a fair number of drunk people everywhere and you just have to avoid wherever they might be. I personally don't care whether people use marijuana or not - it is their choice but I just don't want to live in an environment where it is in my face 24/7.
We live in Durham and I just recently visited Denver on my way to Wyoming (two weeks ago). It...was not a good experience. If you think panhandling is bad in Durham (if you ever go there) it's ten times worse in Denver. People have weed but not shoes and they will ask you for money with a joint in their hand.

We lost count of the number of times we smelled someone blazing up in public as we walked all around downtown. It's everywhere. We saw people hitting joints and one-hitters in their cars (mostly at stoplights), people ducking into alleys to smoke, etc. We went into a dispensary to check it out and one couple brought in their five year old daughter. They seemed genuinely confused at why the owner of the shop was pretty irritated that they would do that.

I honestly wish I was exaggerating on this point because before I went to Denver I was pro-legalization even though I don't smoke myself. I've changed my mind after Denver.

The vibe is just...not the Triangle, sorry to say. Except for the traffic. Getting to Boulder any time of the day is about like trying to take I-40 during rush hour. Double your estimated travel time.

Denver is Asheville distilled into its least pleasant essence. Construction everywhere because everyone wants to move there. Homeless people everywhere because when they get there they realize there are no jobs. Weed everywhere (Asheville is called "Hashville" for a reason) even in public. Apparently while the number of arrests for weed possession has gone down (duh) the rate of arrests for public use has skyrocketed.

It's been more than a year since legalization and we thought Denver would have gotten its crap together by now. Nope.

It was on our short list of places to check out to live but it was a big ol' nope for us, sorry to say.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:41 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tethys77 View Post
We live in Durham and I just recently visited Denver on my way to Wyoming (two weeks ago). It...was not a good experience. If you think panhandling is bad in Durham (if you ever go there) it's ten times worse in Denver. People have weed but not shoes and they will ask you for money with a joint in their hand.

We lost count of the number of times we smelled someone blazing up in public as we walked all around downtown. It's everywhere. We saw people hitting joints and one-hitters in their cars (mostly at stoplights), people ducking into alleys to smoke, etc. We went into a dispensary to check it out and one couple brought in their five year old daughter. They seemed genuinely confused at why the owner of the shop was pretty irritated that they would do that.

I honestly wish I was exaggerating on this point because before I went to Denver I was pro-legalization even though I don't smoke myself. I've changed my mind after Denver.

The vibe is just...not the Triangle, sorry to say. Except for the traffic. Getting to Boulder any time of the day is about like trying to take I-40 during rush hour. Double your estimated travel time.

Denver is Asheville distilled into its least pleasant essence. Construction everywhere because everyone wants to move there. Homeless people everywhere because when they get there they realize there are no jobs. Weed everywhere (Asheville is called "Hashville" for a reason) even in public. Apparently while the number of arrests for weed possession has gone down (duh) the rate of arrests for public use has skyrocketed.

It's been more than a year since legalization and we thought Denver would have gotten its crap together by now. Nope.

It was on our short list of places to check out to live but it was a big ol' nope for us, sorry to say.

Had you been here in the past 5 years? How do you know legal pot is to blame for any of your gripes? This city has not changed remarkably since pot was legalized.

As for bringing a 5 year old in to dispensary, I bring my kids in to the liquor store and no at bats an eye. How if that different?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:41 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tethys77 View Post

Pot smokers just want it legalized. They dont think of the type of problems they may cause. More DUI's. They dont want that out for everyone to hear about. Or more drug testing at the work place. Get hurt at work, and they drug test you, you come up positive. No more job. The Dumbing of America, and we just keep helping it along.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Pot smokers just want it legalized. They dont think of the type of problems they may cause. More DUI's. They dont want that out for everyone to hear about. Or more drug testing at the work place. Get hurt at work, and they drug test you, you come up positive. No more job. The Dumbing of America, and we just keep helping it along.
So you support throwing people in cages for use of a substance you disagree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver