Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times

Advertisements

OP...just do yourself a favor and move back to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
How did you figure out the OP is from Canada?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
How did you figure out the OP is from Canada?
I don't think the OP is from Canada but Smihaila is.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:23 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
If you are so well-versed in macro-economics, kindly explain to me why this BIG mismatch and divergence in terms of growth rates, between fully detached, residential properties, and rental prices. Thank you in advance for your explanation. I'm also curious if you ever lived anywhere outside U.S or ever changed states or cities :-)
There is no mishmash it just sounds like your bitter and to broke to afford the new rents. Either market yourself better and command a higher salary or get roommates. No one is going to hold your hand and support idiotic price controls which is what you seem to be advocating.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
There is no mishmash it just sounds like your bitter and to broke to afford the new rents. Either market yourself better and command a higher salary or get roommates. No one is going to hold your hand and support idiotic price controls which is what you seem to be advocating.
Price controls may not be idiotic like you said. In Canada, for example, rent controls are common, for whatever reason there is. Letting the free market determine prices is capitalistic, and there are people out there that have legitimate reasons to not support capitalism.

Fighting capitalism in the US though? Well, that's a surely losing battle.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 PM

577 posts, read 1,476,130 times
I stop here with my intervention (remember the 80% savings rate? Need to get back to work).

I am maintaining my opinion that what is currently going on here, is Mafia-like rental market. No amount of additional patronizing or ironies will change my mind on this. It also looks like all these Denver-focused threads on citi-data are somehow skewed - lots of realtors or landlords howling here, so the opinions are biased. Also, when you bring in topics relating to Rocky Flats, some "guardians" on these threads start to become suspicious and utterly defensive.

Yes, continue rising the prices up to $3,000 for a 2-bedroom. AS IF you were in California or New York. Yeah baby, because you can!

And to the other poster who was signaling a $90 monthly increase with the rent, oh, that's peanuts. Be happy and grab it. Compare this to Superior, whereas the rent went up ... by approx. $200. And this was with "negotiations" in place!

Thanks for your time.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I don't think the OP is from Canada but Smihaila is.
I not "from Canada", I am from many countries.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Now you are going with ad-hominem attacks and insults?
What the heck do you care what I am doing or what my goals in life are? Mind your own business dude.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Now you are going with ad-hominem attacks and insults?
What the heck do you care what I am doing or what my goals in life are? Mind your own business dude.
You're the one using an internet forum to rant about how unfair your living conditions are to strangers. I dont think anyone cares what your goals are. They probably should be set a bit higher if rent is too high in a desired location though.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM

387 posts, read 638,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I find rhetoric like this to be indicative of a lack of understanding how many people live, work and earn income in their day to day lives. There are MANY, MANY hard working people in the world that cannot "command a higher salary" because the choose professions that serve others rather than high paying salaries. Teachers, first responders, food safety inspectors, pesticide regulators, nurses (especially those working with veterans), social workers helping families and vets...all these positions are fairly low-paying, and most are tied to governments, who, especially in Colorado with TABOR in place, generally receive pay increases that are exceptionally modest so that government budgets do not skyrocket. Most employees of the state here in Colorado will not receive any more than a 2% pay increase annually, because that's all the budget can handle. And it doesn't matter how much work they do, or how much $$ they save the state by introducing efficiencies in their departments. Because our pay is determined by people who really do not see the work we do, but are set by politicians instead.

Skyrocketing rental costs is hurting many hard-working families, those with professional positions and degrees, because they choose to serve others in their career rather than chase income. And landlords, both private and large corporate, do not care that housing cost increases are outstripping income increases by a margin of 8 to 10%. It is difficult, frustrating, and demoralizing for people to work very hard to ensure there is safe food, clean air, educated children, your house won't burn down, criminals are apprehended, etc.etc.etc., then come online and read high-handed, condescending comments like "market yourself...command higher salary...get roommates" is that much more soul-crushing. What you are saying to these people, that work so hard to make everyone's life (not just their own) is flat-out cruel. You're saying they don't deserve to live in a home that is clean, safe, reasonably close to their job with good schools for their kids. They should, at 40, 50 years old, in professional jobs, just go get a roommate, because they choose a profession to serve YOU and others like you, rather than chase your almighty god the dollar. Try talking to someone that works in one of these sectors some time. Ask them how it feels to know that within 24 months, if rent costs keep rising at the rate they are now, they will probably be sleeping in their car and washing up in the bathroom at their job, because the alternative is, at 50 years of age, 25 years into a professional position, either living with a roommate, or living 75-100 miles from their job because that's the closest place they can afford...

Last edited by ALStafford; 10-07-2015 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: because my grammar was adversely affected by my level of frustration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver