Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:54 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
People are being forced to live in Denver when there are no options outside the city limits. Look, if you want to live in Denver, good. If you don't want to live in Denver, there are less options. When there are less little to no options of affordable housing, then people are either forced to live in overpriced Denver or share the COL with a roommate which some people don't want to do. You make it sound like Denver has to be like Manhattan, Boston and some east coast city. It isn't and shouldn't be. The ultimate goal is to let Denver be affordable for lower, middle and upper classes, not just the elite and the poor.
There are plenty of cheap places to rent or buy in Lakewood if you don't have to live in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Grammar Nazi Alert

Quote:
less options.
Fewer

Old 10-04-2015, 10:10 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Who cares about one's certain lifestyle? Some people don't want to live in the city and county of Denver. You don't want sprawl, but Dallas and Houston have managed to keep COL down. Denver metro needs to grow out east or else housing costs will rise even higher and drive out more of the middle class. There's tons of land, utilize it. If you don't want to build out the suburbs, then people need to stop complaining about skyrocket rising COL in Denver metro and find a better paying career.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
People are being forced to live in Denver when there are no options outside the city limits. Look, if you want to live in Denver, good. If you don't want to live in Denver, there are less options. When there are less little to no options of affordable housing, then people are either forced to live in overpriced Denver or share the COL with a roommate which some people don't want to do. You make it sound like Denver has to be like Manhattan, Boston and some east coast city. It isn't and shouldn't be. The ultimate goal is to let Denver be affordable for lower, middle and upper classes, not just the elite and the poor. Denver metro should reflect more on Dallas, Houston and Phoenix if it wants to grow and stabilize prices.
Disagree. I don't want to live in Dallas, Houston or Phoenix (I've done Phoenix.) I want to live in Denver. A city without that kind of sprawl. That's part of why I left Phoenix and part of why I left L.A., and largely why I don't want to live in Dallas, Houston or Atlanta.

Did I know it cost more to live here and I'd have to adapt my lifestyle to do it? Yup. Worth it? Totally.

If people don't like the cost of living, I recommend they move somewhere else...like Dallas...Houston...or Phoenix.

If they want to live here...there are trade-offs. None of those other places have the same type of quality of life that Denver has. Building that sprawl? That will hurt that quality of life. Not worth it...not in my opinion.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times
There's already plenty of cheap housing out north, northeast and east. It's so cheap because no one wants to live out there. I'm sure we'd see more development out that way if people were clamoring for it. The fact is, no one wants to really live out there.

Denver tried developing Green Valley Ranch. We ended up with a crap-hole because most middle class people don't want to live out there.

Sprawl is not the solution to the housing woes. We need to continue infilling with denser developments and find some way to encourage builders to build smaller, more affordable homes.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
There's already plenty of cheap housing out east. It's so cheap because no one wants to live out there. I'm sure we'd see more development out that way if people were clamoring for it. The fact is, no one wants to really live out there.

Denver tried developing Green Valley Ranch. We ended up with a crap-hole because most middle class people don't want to live out there.

Sprawl is not the solution to the housing woes. We need to continue infilling with denser developments and find some way to encourage builders to build smaller, more affordable homes.
Yea urban sprawl increases costs of everything else except housing. Longer commutes more environmental damages. I'd rather live close to work take public transit and rent a car for the weekend to go in the woods. Cities with high amounts of urban sprawl are cultural wastelands.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM

159 posts, read 157,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yea urban sprawl increases costs of everything else except housing. Longer commutes more environmental damages. I'd rather live close to work take public transit and rent a car for the weekend to go in the woods. Cities with high amounts of urban sprawl are cultural wastelands.
Is it possible for many folks in Denver to live the type of lifestyle you're describing, relying on public transit to get around and renting a car only when they want to get out of town? Honest question. I haven't spent much time in Denver and didn't realize the transit infrastructure was that well-established.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
There's already plenty of cheap housing out north, northeast and east. It's so cheap because no one wants to live out there. I'm sure we'd see more development out that way if people were clamoring for it. The fact is, no one wants to really live out there.

It maybe slightly cheaper, but nobody wants to live out there is solely your opinion. GVR is ok, better than Montbello but those two areas needs to be improved, specifically the crime. Infilling Denver with dense development is fine and the only way to go within the city and county of Denver because there's no room to expand outward. Will there be more 40-50 story condos or hotels in the near future besides 1144th St? Denser development doesn't mean they will be cheaper and affordable. Look at the costs of apartments near LoDo and RiNo.

Last edited by Hschlick84; 10-05-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 11:57 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutbad View Post
Is it possible for many folks in Denver to live the type of lifestyle you're describing, relying on public transit to get around and renting a car only when they want to get out of town? Honest question. I haven't spent much time in Denver and didn't realize the transit infrastructure was that well-established.
Not easy but it can be done if it's your goal. If you add biking (a well used form of transport here), it becomes a bit easier to do.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:38 PM

459 posts, read 807,896 times
Quote:
It maybe slightly cheaper, but nobody wants to live out there is solely your opinion. GVR is ok, better than Montbello but those two areas needs to be improved, specifically the crime. Infilling Denver with dense development is fine and the only way to go within the city and county of Denver because there's no room to expand outward. Will there be more 40-50 story condos or hotels in the near future besides 1144th St? Denser development doesn't mean they will be cheaper and affordable. Look at the costs of apartments near LoDo and RiNo.
1144 15th is an office building. There's about 5k apartment units under construction downtown right now, and thousands more in the proposal/planning stages. Most of the apartments are mid rises but the highest is the Confluence a high rise at 34 stories. There's five hotels downtown under construction that I am aware of, and the tallest is around 20 stories. Condo's are not really part of the equation right now largely due to uncertainty surrounding some defect legislation.

Newer apartments like newer houses are typically more expensive than older comps. It's why average rent is higher in not only LoDo and RiNo but places like Broomfield and Douglas County since most of the buildings in those areas skew newer. However without the newer higher priced apartments we would have more upward price pressure on older existing apartments than is already occurring due to increased demand. So even though the rents are high in newer buildings it still helps keep costs down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver