Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 AM

760 posts, read 883,391 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that after all of these years, I am typing these words.

The position is finally confirmed! I will be going west within the next 4-5 weeks. The office is near Colfax and Airport Blvd.

I am now looking into apartments...except this time it's weird because it's legitimate interest. My two ideas were Highlands/Lodo, and Capital Hill.

Capital Hill:
Pro - Affordable Units (~$1000)
Pro - Lots of entertainment (for an mid 20's guy)
Pro - Close to downtown
Pro - Seems to have decent street parking options
Con - Commute (40 mins to take Colfax straight across, or 35 to cut north to interstate)
Con - Crime Stats (I'm not worried about this at all, but it is something to consider)
Con - Access to Parks

Lodo/Highlands:
Pro - Good commute, close to Freeway
Pro - Great entertainment choices
Pro - Lots of walkable parks
Pro - Good quality units
Con - Price ($1400+)
Con - Vibe (Though its judgmental, I get a cold/pretentious vibe from people)

I'm OK with a 30ish min commute. My budget is around $1400. I am used to Minneapolis where there is a bike lane/path to go everywhere in the city, and I enjoy biking everywhere I go except for work. I am in my mid 20s, so bikeable/walkable bars and events are pretty important. The only thing I really *require* in an apartment is for it to be clean, have laundry, and a parking spot.

I am wondering if there are any other neighborhoods I should consider that I might be overlooking. My "nice to haves" would be a near by climbing gym and close access to a bike trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 AM

177 posts, read 176,145 times
Cap Hill makes me happiest. So many trees! I just got a place near cheeseman park - one bedroom - and its 925 a month! A steal nowadays! So many young people too! But it really depends on your vibe. If you live in cap hill, beware of parking! Paying a little extra for off street parking is worth it!

If you like the uppidy downtown thing, highlands is the place. If you want earthier vibes, cap hill is better IMO. Lodo is just too expensive and uppidy as well, although it would be sweet to have a place right downtown.

Live near where you wanna play, not where you work! A wise man told me that, and I am happy he did, because I am happier then ever.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 PM

556 posts, read 763,204 times
Cap Hill is cool if you're a single person I feel. My buddy lives there and it's always fun to visit. If you have a family though, it seems less than ideal.

But assuming you are single, Cap Hill is really nice. Not sure about rent prices though. Good luck with the move!

Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Also,

I have a membership to movement rock gym, not quite walking distance, but its like a 10-15 min drive from cap hill. Amazing gym! Free yoga classes with the membership. -- If you want a bike trail, check out the Baker neighborhood. That has the Cherry Creek Trail. Its nice. Baker is even closer to movement as well! You'd do well there for sure. I like the vibe there a lot.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:15 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
Also,

I have a membership to movement rock gym, not quite walking distance, but its like a 10-15 min drive from cap hill. Amazing gym! Free yoga classes with the membership. -- If you want a bike trail, check out the Baker neighborhood. That has the Cherry Creek Trail. Its nice. Baker is even closer to movement as well! You'd do well there for sure. I like the vibe there a lot.

I love Baker as well, but the commute to Airport and Colfax is kind of brutal. Looking at 35- 45 minutes on a good day.

Congrats on the new job and the impending move!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
That's pretty accurate EXCEPT the part about lots of street parking on Capitol Hill. That is one of the worst areas, besides downtown, to find street parking. Shell out the extra $$ for an assigned parking spot if you rent anywhere on Cap Hill.

But you've left out the perfect area = RINO. It's got the urban vide of Lodo (it's basically the north end of Lodo) and it's now the "cool" neighborhood. While the rents aren't cheap, they are about midway between Cap Hill and Lodo prices. It's much easier to find street parking too. You can get to I-25 in 5-10 minutes. And the new train station to the airport is there too. Check it out..

http://www.denver.org/about-denver/d...borhoods/rino/

Last edited by whoisjongalt; 02-12-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: bad link

Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 AM

I despise rino. I lived there for a year. In Block 32. The people living there are fake and the train keeps me up in all hours of the night. If you live in rino, beware of the train!!!!! Rino is just 5 points being gentrified.

Rino is actually pretty awesome, I just recommended you avoid brighton blvd. Too much construction and trains and its a super busy road during rush hour.

Last edited by jweb29; 02-13-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 AM

98 posts, read 115,091 times
Check out the apartments in the area of Arapahoe and Parker Rd in Centennial/Aurora. Right in that 30 minute commute range, rent on a 1 bed is around $1100, Cherry Creek State Park is about 5 min away, and Cherry Creek Trail runs directly through some of the apartment grounds. There is also a climbing gym within 5 miles off of Arapahoe and Jordan.

All within the same 5 mile radius is a couple shopping centers with several restaurants, Target, Walmart, King Soopers (groceries), a movie theater, and a good car wash. If public transportation is your thing, there is a light-rail station/park and ride in the area as well.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Thanks for the advice.

After looking into units more closely, I was wrong about parking availability in Capital Hill. It's been hard finding units that have off street, but the ones that do only charge like $40 which a lot cheaper than Minneapolis (paying $115 for uncovered).

I also found some nice places in Washington Park. They are right around $1,000, and don't seem too far from downtown. I think I am going to change my budget of $1,400, to more like $1,150. I am constantly surprised by how nice and large the "cheaper" units have been in comparison to what I am used to in Milwaukee and Minneapolis. I'm starting to wonder...why does everyone complain and warn others about the price/quality of rents in Denver? Seems pretty decent to me

I do however see how there really are no affordable neighborhoods within a 15 mile radius. Something that is $1,000 near downtown is also a grand 20 miles out.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Thanks for the advice.

After looking into units more closely, I was wrong about parking availability in Capital Hill. It's been hard finding units that have off street, but the ones that do only charge like $40 which a lot cheaper than Minneapolis (paying $115 for uncovered).

I also found some nice places in Washington Park. They are right around $1,000, and don't seem too far from downtown. I think I am going to change my budget of $1,400, to more like $1,150. I am constantly surprised by how nice and large the "cheaper" units have been in comparison to what I am used to in Milwaukee and Minneapolis. I'm starting to wonder...why does everyone complain and warn others about the price/quality of rents in Denver? Seems pretty decent to me

I do however see how there really are no affordable neighborhoods within a 15 mile radius. Something that is $1,000 near downtown is also a grand 20 miles out.

What are the locations that are saying "Wash Park"? They may be near, but not technically in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver