Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
??????????
A common misperception about Denver is that it is full of trees and in the mountains. In reality, the city and its employment centers sit on the high plains. We have good views of the Front Range, but it's generally flat, dry & brown through much of the year.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:56 PM

215 posts, read 771,837 times
That makes sense. Until I started posting here I expected a lot of parks and trees in the metro area (is it right to say use that phrase when speaking of downtown Denver?), but have since come to realize that I should expect more rocks and soil.

At least that's the impression I have at the moment. I should be visiting in the middle of April and it will be that visit that helps me decide whether or not I'm going to move to Denver.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,138,369 times
Quote:
That makes sense. Until I started posting here I expected a lot of parks and trees in the metro area (is it right to say use that phrase when speaking of downtown Denver?), but have since come to realize that I should expect more rocks and soil.

At least that's the impression I have at the moment. I should be visiting in the middle of April and it will be that visit that helps me decide whether or not I'm going to move to Denver.
Not exactly. Denver metro has many wonderful parks and trees; that's not the natural vegetation and landscape, though. Look at the photo tours in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...s-updated.html

Old 03-09-2008, 10:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
A common misperception about Denver is that it is full of trees and in the mountains. In reality, the city and its employment centers sit on the high plains. We have good views of the Front Range, but it's generally flat, dry & brown through much of the year.
Yup, thats exactly what I was trying to say, and yes, I thought it was going to be somewhat like Portland Oregon. I accepted a job with out much investigation. Learned me a lesson I did.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
Quote:

Denver is unique and a bit hard to describe. The city has plenty of parks and trees, but they only exist because of human intervention. Once you get out of the city, it's pretty desolate with lots of wide, flat, open spaces bounded by mountains to the west. You'll see what we're all talking about when you get here. Enjoy your visit in April!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Denver is unique and a bit hard to describe. The city has plenty of parks and trees, but they only exist because of human intervention. Once you get out of the city, it's pretty desolate with lots of wide, flat, open spaces bounded by mountains to the west. You'll see what we're all talking about when you get here. Enjoy your visit in April!
The drive from Denver to Ft. Collins actually reminds me of central Texas. You can see forever but not see a whole lot. That's life on the Great Plains.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 AM

88 posts, read 309,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Okay, now that everyone is done ripping my hastily worded description of living at a higher altitude apart and making themselves feel scholarly, my point was that the sun feels more intense. Should have said "higher up" rather than "closer to the sun." Obviously I'm not a professional meteorologist. After thinking about it for more than 2 seconds I realize thinner air/altitude would have been a better way to describe it. Whatever, the sun is more intense, especially with snow on the ground. Don't believe me, go spring skiiing with no sunscreen and googles on and we will all point and laugh at your raccoon looking face.
But, you know, I said it with love! And yeah, I'm bringing LOTS of sunscreen with my pale, freckled skin. I'm just skin cancer waiting to start!

flyingbuffalos, who love to laugh (not AT you, WITH you)

Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 AM

88 posts, read 309,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The drive from Denver to Ft. Collins actually reminds me of central Texas. You can see forever but not see a whole lot. That's life on the Great Plains.
NOOOOO! I was trying to escape Central Texas!!!!!

flyingbuffalos

Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM

261 posts, read 705,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Can't say I've ever worn GOOGLES. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Can't a guy get a break around here?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 AM

261 posts, read 705,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbuffalos View Post
But, you know, I said it with love! And yeah, I'm bringing LOTS of sunscreen with my pale, freckled skin. I'm just skin cancer waiting to start!

flyingbuffalos, who love to laugh (not AT you, WITH you)
Yeah, no worries, I don't take anything seriously on the internet, and it was funny!

Enjoy your stay in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver