Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 10,275 times

Advertisements

1. The city is pretty small so there isn't that much to do compared to other cities. You'll run out of things to do pretty quick.
2. Crime has no boundaries here. There are no "bad" areas really because everything is so patchy here.
3. The weather isn't THAT much different than midwest cities. It's still cold out, yes, it's sunny, but it's still cold and you don't want to do things outdoors still.
4. The highway systems aren't great. There are only so many roads and if there is an accident, there are no alternate routes. Plus in bad weather there aren't very many lights so it is difficult to see the lines on the roads.
5. There are a lot of cowboys out here with their painful pick up trucks that love to drive like lunatics on the highways.
6. There are not very many trees here. It's pretty bare.
7. IT'S SO DRY here. Every morning you will blow your nose and it will be bloody.
8. Going into the mountains is a pain unless you want to leave at 4am and return at 1pm. Otherwise there is a ton of traffic.
9. If you aren't really into skiing/snowboarding, DON'T MOVE HERE. It seems that this is really the only thing that makes Denver special.
10. The city is surrounded by very unattractive industrial areas. No matter what direction you enter into the city, it's a very ugly drive.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,484,443 times
Quote:
8. Going into the mountains is a pain unless you want to leave at 4am and return at 1pm. Otherwise there is a ton of traffic.
? We leave between 6 and 8 and never have a problem.

Quote:
If you aren't really into skiing/snowboarding, DON'T MOVE HERE. It seems that this is really the only thing that makes Denver special.
Yeah the miles of trails both within and outside of the city, the camping/hiking at your doorstep, hot springs, lakes, etc. So little to do here, drives me nuts!

Quote:
IT'S SO DRY here. Every morning you will blow your nose and it will be bloody.
Never had a complaint about it, in fact on the upside it makes the cold much less of a problem.

Quote:
It's still cold out, yes, it's sunny, but it's still cold and you don't want to do things outdoors still.
Man I hate those 60 degree days in January. Or the ones in the 50's in which if you are in the sun you can still be out in a t-shirt. Horrible.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
? We leave between 6 and 8 and never have a problem.

Yeah the miles of trails both within and outside of the city, the camping/hiking at your doorstep, hot springs, lakes, etc. So little to do here, drives me nuts!

Never had a complaint about it, in fact on the upside it makes the cold much less of a problem.

Man I hate those 60 degree days in January. Or the ones in the 50's in which if you are in the sun you can still be out in a t-shirt. Horrible.
I found every complaint a valid one, the only one I don't know about is the pain in the rear it is to go to the mountains. As I had no desire to go to the mountains and get stuck in heavy traffic. Hey I listen to the radio, its a problem apparently. When I lived there, I always woke up with a bloody nose. ALWAYS.
On a positive note, the dryness was better for my Mold induced asthma.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noperfectplace View Post
1. The city is pretty small so there isn't that much to do compared to other cities. You'll run out of things to do pretty quick.
2. Crime has no boundaries here. There are no "bad" areas really because everything is so patchy here.
3. The weather isn't THAT much different than midwest cities. It's still cold out, yes, it's sunny, but it's still cold and you don't want to do things outdoors still.
4. The highway systems aren't great. There are only so many roads and if there is an accident, there are no alternate routes. Plus in bad weather there aren't very many lights so it is difficult to see the lines on the roads.
5. There are a lot of cowboys out here with their painful pick up trucks that love to drive like lunatics on the highways.
7. IT'S SO DRY here. Every morning you will blow your nose and it will be bloody.
9. If you aren't really into skiing/snowboarding, DON'T MOVE HERE. It seems that this is really the only thing that makes Denver special.
10. The city is surrounded by very unattractive industrial areas. No matter what direction you enter into the city, it's a very ugly drive.
1. Bigger cities just have more of the same thing to accommodate the proportional demand.
2. Never noticed this.
3. It's not that much different from the west coast a lot of the time too.
4. The only time I've ever been in traffic in Denver is on the 225 between 70 and the 25, for about five minutes. (Not sure why the speed limit is 55 on that stretch either - seems way too slow.)
5. Come on, everyone thinks their city has the worst drivers.
6. OK.
7. Dry is nice.
8. Not sure.
9. What are things that make the top 20 cities special?
10. Never noticed this.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,783 times
Quote:
quite right. Lets start with #3. Yes its warmer when the sun is out, or it feels warmer, but only if you are facing the sun. I was walking one day in the sun. My back was warm, while my front was FREEEEZING
#6 Any Trees here were planted by someone, nothing natural grows here except grass I think
#7 as stated before, I also got the darn bloody nose in the morning. I would wake up to blood from my wife and I on the pillow. My son had blood on his upper lip everytime we went to the park.
#9. Yup, thats all everyone talks about is the snow skiing...there are probably other things to do, but no one was interested in letting me in on it.

#10 If you have lived in other cities, you REALLY notice the industrial look...my Gosh its darn ugly. My first experience of the city was heading west from Kansas into Denver on the 70, Then I took I think the 225. I was sick at what I saw. Very Industrial. AI know there are better parts of the city, but not many. Even Dallas is a beautiful city when compared. Mile High Statdium looks like a giant Sombrero, it made me laugh, and I am a HUGE Bronco Fan. The whole city is mostely (or all) flat with very little charactor.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,629 times
Where I love everyone's comments on here I got to disagree with most of them. I just came back from a long weekend in Denver. I LOVE Denver. The skyline is beautiful. The parks are beautiful. I love the 16th street mall and that whole area. I had a wonderful time at the zoo! I had so much fun all weekend. We met friendly people everywhere we went. Even talked to people on the street. I like that Denver is flat. It makes walking a biking easier. I am way to excited to organize my thoughts right now! I can't wait to move down!!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM

99 posts, read 335,755 times
Wink Denver

I have read your postings, WestCoDude, with much laughter. I enjoy your sense of humor.

I do have to say the following:
1. Not every house has a soccer mom. Our house has a soccer dad. Are those considered better?

2. Neither I nor any of my friends have injected botox.

3. Only my son has tried goat cheese.

Be kind to the people of Chesterfield. I have many friends there! Your postings always make me homesick! However, I would still rather live here in Denver.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 24,108 times
Denver is great! Actually move towards the mountains and it gets even better! We are in Conifer which is great. Easy commute (no stop lights to work and it's 30 minutes to downtown).
Look at Floyd Hill, Evergreen, Conifer, Bailey, Golden. Get west and in the foothills. The smog is NOT an issue at all

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post
I have read your postings, WestCoDude, with much laughter. I enjoy your sense of humor.

I do have to say the following:
1. Not every house has a soccer mom. Our house has a soccer dad. Are those considered better?

2. Neither I nor any of my friends have injected botox.

3. Only my son has tried goat cheese.

Be kind to the people of Chesterfield. I have many friends there! Your postings always make me homesick! However, I would still rather live here in Denver.
Aww. That's really sweet of you, goldenmom. Chesterfield misses you, too! I'm tellin' ya, I really, really love it here. Denver is awesome, too....but St. Louis is such a remarkable city. The people really make it what it is...I've never been around such warm, caring people in my life. It's pretty cool (or warm, as the case may be). lol.

As to your points of contention.....

1.) Sure. Soccer dads count, too. Instead of the cheese and botox, Soccer Dad tends to be intoxicated by Fat Tire and the explosive exhaust fumes of his dramatically oversized SUV.

2.) Well...you must be one of those crunchy purple-hair types....

3.) Feta works, too. "Grate, grate, giiiiiivvvee! Grate, grate, giiiiivvvee maaaaannn!!"

Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
I'll take on #3 and #10. First, the winter weather. I lived in the midwest for 7 yrs, and in Pittsburgh before that. All are about the same latitude. Temp wise, Denver's weather is more like Pittsburgh's than any city's in the midwest. In Pittsburgh, it is gray and gloomy and more likely to rain than snow. It doesn't drift. It does snow on snow, sometimes. Temps are up and down like Denver, though not so widely.
In Champaign, IL, here is what happens in the winter: A snowstorm drops 6-8" of dry snow; the wind blows the snow into huge drifts and the roads are closed; a cold front comes in the next day and the high is 2 degrees if you're lucky; the snow sticks around for at least a month, and it frequently snows on snow. One year, it didn't get above freezing the entire month of January.
Denver: average snowstorm is probably the same as Champaign, but it doesn't blow into drifts; the next day is 40+ degrees and sunny, the snow starts to melt, in a few days it is gone; it rarely snows on snow in Colorado and there is much warm, sunny weather between the snowfalls. It rarely snows on snow. 65 degree temps are not unheard of in January, and there have been a few 70s.
#10. I don't notice it. Maybe it's because I'm from Pittsburgh. I don't mind factories. Someone has to make the stuff we use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver