Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 09:55 AM

123 posts, read 180,378 times

Advertisements

Is it legal in Colorado the dentist assistant to put the tooth fillings instead of the dentist (the doctor)? Do they have the necessary training?

My daughter had recently few fillings done and when we got back home she told me the filling material was put by the dentist assistant while the doctor was not even in the room. In my entire life all the fillings I got was done by the dentist from the start to the end. I am concerned if the assistant had the necessary training and if it is legal at all.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
I've had this done too without any problems.

The dentist did everything but put in the filling material.

The dentist administered novacaine and drilled the tooth removing all decayed material. At that point, she left the assistant to fill the small hole with dental material. The dentist came back in, checked the work and shaped the tooth.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 PM

123 posts, read 180,378 times
Reviving this thread because I lost some more confidence in the dental services today.

Today I went to see an endodontist, referred by my dentist. I need a crown and he had to tell me if there was any inflammation around the root canal to be treated first. The root canals on this tooth were done more than 10 years ago and I never had any pain. I did not have any pain when he tapped on it or tested it for sensitivity to cold. Yet he recommended the root canal to be re-done since they were not done at their full length and he said he was seeing inflammation that needed to be treated. I was given a two-page waiver form with all the bad tings that could happen including breaking the tooth, breaking the drill bit inside the tooth, etc. Needless to say, I did not feel comfortable going forward and told them I would seek a second opinion and that I would like to get the X-rays they took and charged me for. They said they cannot do this and that whoever gives me a second opinion would probably like to take X-rays themselves.

Another thing that I did not like was that the instruments did not look clean. They looked rusty. I am attaching a picture below:

I am not sure what to do. I'd like to hear what you think. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,735 times
Under a federal law called HIPAA, you have the right to receive copies of your health information from your dentist (as well as other doctors and providers).

I am assuming you signed a HIPPA form. I would give them a negative review on yelp and post your pic above.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:31 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Staining of instruments can occur due to detergents and sterilization procedures:

Medical Device Company - Medical Technologies | Integra Miltex

If you do not feel comfortable with the recommendation, by all means get another opinion. You can have the dentist doing the second opinion ask for the x-rays.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:06 AM

170 posts, read 246,345 times
You have a right to receive your x-rays since you have paid for them. Also, you do not have to give a reason to them why you need your x-rays.
I would talk to the manager or owner of that dental practice and if they still refuse either ask for your money back for the x-rays they took or try charging back on your credit card assuming you have paid them using credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver