Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I mean, does anyone really know? Even the "greatest" financial minds couldn't predict the 2008-crisis until Mike Burry and a few others started betting against the banks. I can say that the probability is probably pretty high that nobody on this message board really has a clue, nor have they done the diligence to actually understand these highly complex markets.
I think we have a better understanding of what is a bubble and what caused it to burst because of 2008. I dont believe it is a bubble due to the lack of inventory here and tighter lending practices.

That being said we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM

92 posts, read 98,339 times
I don't know if there is a housing bubble, but whoever the next president ends up being, they're going to get stuck with the fed raising interest rates. This won't make it any cheaper to buy, but it will drive down housing prices by quite a bit.

A 300,000 30 year loan at 3.5% is roughly $1,350 monthly payment. Let's say interest rates go up to 6%. A 225,000 30 year loan comes in at roughly $1,350. The ability to borrow money is a pretty major factor for home prices. All the equity that was 'made' in this hot market could disappear really quick.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM

511 posts, read 402,387 times
Quote:
Interesting that the median per capita income isn't closer to $100k then, since there are so many of them out there. Maybe everyone's actually lying about that $30k/yr they claim to make, which is much closer to the median per capita income in this country/state.
Indeed. I know very few people that make notably over the $100k mark. A few close to it, a couple just over it (engineers, IT), but they hardly constitute the median cross-section of a major city.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
C level is the only way to make $100K?

Try sales, engineering, legal, doctors, web developers, etc, etc, etc.....

Lots of jobs pay $100K
The financial sector tends to be very high paying-- jobs such as investment advisors, portfolio/wealth managers, stock brokers, traders, investment bankers, etc. While nowhere near the level of NY, LA, SF, Boston or Chicago, Denver does have a significant (and growing) number of jobs in this industry. Schwab has a major branch in Lone Tree, for example. While not everybody there makes $100k or even close, a number of employees there do.

Also CPAs-- in many large accounting firms (and even in some small niche firms) managers (7-10+ years experience) can make >$100k. Even starting salary for brand new grads in the Big 4 CPA firms right out of college is in the $50ks.

Not to mention across all professions and industries, many individuals are self employed running profitable niche businesses. I'm sure there are dispensary/ grow house owners making a lot of $$$...

Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Interesting that the median per capita income isn't closer to $100k then, since there are so many of them out there. Maybe everyone's actually lying about that $30k/yr they claim to make, which is much closer to the median per capita income in this country/state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Indeed. I know very few people that make notably over the $100k mark. A few close to it, a couple just over it (engineers, IT), but they hardly constitute the median cross-section of a major city.
I never said they were average. I said there were lots.

Any mid level management job at a large corporation pays $100k.

If you went to college and work in corporate America for a decade, chances are you're close to $100K.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:13 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:

If you went to college and work in corporate America for a decade, chances are you're close to $100K.
I graduated from the University of Michigan in 2008 and have been working for nearly eight years now. The most I've been offered here was $75k/yr. for a Senior Business Analyst at a large telecom company. I work in public health care at the moment, and make a little less than that, but with far superior benefits. Not to say that you're wrong, but I haven't really seen companies throwing around $100k/yr jobs either, and I've worked for a few at this point in my career. I think realistically, it's probably closer to 15-20 years of experience that you start approaching those kinds of salaries, of course depending on your field.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what companies constitute "corporate" ones (did they just need to be incorporated?) but $100k seems like wishful thinking IME. I've got a buddy in software engineering who was making $90k who's struggling to find $70k. Maybe it's just this crap town Phoenix, but I wasn't finding any ID openings in Denver that were worth finishing a read of the job ad either.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I graduated from the University of Michigan in 2008 and have been working for nearly eight years now. The most I've been offered here was $75k/yr. for a Senior Business Analyst at a large telecom company. I work in public health care at the moment, and make a little less than that, but with far superior benefits. Not to say that you're wrong, but I haven't really seen companies throwing around $100k/yr jobs either, and I've worked for a few at this point in my career. I think realistically, it's probably closer to 15-20 years of experience that you start approaching those kinds of salaries, of course depending on your field.
Again, agree here. $70k-ish seems like a ceiling that a lot of people hit, and that number hasn't moved with inflation over the last decade or so.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM

95 posts, read 94,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
^
This. It's nice and all... but with the way income distribution / wages in this country work, you quickly get into territory where only a few of us could even dare ask for that kind of scratch. I'm an industrial/product designer, was a Sr. level at my last job, and $70k/yr. was really pulling it down. To imagine getting $100k/yr. in Denver is pretty much fantasy land. Maybe as a design/technical director. Other than Cxx positions, I don't know anyone who cracks much above $100k. I mean what ARE all the people in Denver doing to make that kind of scratch?

It's like those homebuyer shows. I see these dullards who consider themselves middle class buying dumps in Toronto for $750k! Apparently, everyone's a CEO, CFO, CMO, etc. at their own companies with no actual workers... either that or someone's giving 100 year term home loans out. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but looking at median incomes, I just don't get the economics of it.
Frankly I am surprised at reading your comment. I know many people who work as engineers, or in IT, or in the medical field (nurses, PA's) who make at least 100k. There are even federal workers who get compensated extremely well (friend is in the FBI). My nephew is a physical therapist and is paid that much. So yes, there are many people who make six figures in this area.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiamom View Post
Frankly I am surprised at reading your comment. I know many people who work as engineers, or in IT, or in the medical field (nurses, PA's) who make at least 100k. There are even federal workers who get compensated extremely well (friend is in the FBI). My nephew is a physical therapist and is paid that much. So yes, there are many people who make six figures in this area.
No one said there aren't people who make $100k. You know a handful of them; that's cool. I'm in my early 30s and I don't know a single person in my friends group that is making $100k or more. And yes, we are all college educated, white collar professionals.

Statistically speaking, the law of averages (and medians) illustrate that the majority of individual salaries are half that or less, depending on what data you look at.

Last edited by SQL; 08-15-2016 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver