Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM

31 posts, read 61,101 times

Advertisements

This might be a difficult question for you guys to answer so bear with me. But I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

(Also, I know I've recently started a couple other threads in the past week so I do apologize.)

We are a young family with a toddler looking for a place to call home. Biggest thing for us right now is we want to move somewhere that has four seasons. We're currently in Las Vegas and the heat here is just too much.

We've been researching places to live in the entire country and keep coming back to Denver.

I realize I'm painting with a very broad brush here, but my general thoughts as to why Denver is more ideal for us vs anywhere else in the US are:

- Northeast - too cold, snowy and gloomy.
- Southeast - too hot, humid, just not a fan of the southeast area.
- Midwest - boring, average, also places you in Tornado Alley.
- West coast is too expensive and doesn't have 4 seasons.
- East coast has hurricane weather and humidity. Any of the cities worth living in that has jobs are usually too expensive or too high in crime.
- Northwest (aka Portland and Seattle) is too rainy/gloomy, not much snow, and expensive.
- Southwest is where we're at now and it's too hot and generally lacks 4 seasons.
- Far north - Cold, there's nothing up there. Lack of jobs/things to do/etc.

So that trims out a lot of the US and leaves Denver right there in the middle.

What we find attractive about Denver is:
- The scenery/location. The Rocky Mountains are in your back yard! I think the flat plains are beautiful as well.
- The climate. Denver has 4 seasons and lots of weather! We miss having weather. And it's generally sunny and DRY, has milder winters than the northeast.
- There is a pretty good tech scene. So, job opportunities.
- Hiking. Lots of hiking/trails/parks for the kid, etc.
- Professional Sports.
- It's a large city so lots of options for shopping, restaurants, etc. as opposed to a smaller city.
- Concerts at Red Rocks.
- Low in crime. Seems like a nice place to raise a family. Has culture.

Pretty much the only thing that scares us about Denver is the cost of housing. We're nowhere near ready to even begin thinking about buying but we'd like to eventually. And from what I hear, I don't know how we'd EVER find the money to buy a house around Denver on a single-income (wife stays at home).

So for now and for awhile, we'd be renting. I would really wanna be close to my job but $$$ of renting might push us further into the burbs, which is fine. But then you have the commute.

Do you think it's worth the COL for us to live in Denver?
Would you move here again?
What keeps you from leaving?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:28 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Just moved here from Chicago. Can't imagine leaving anytime soon. The weather, lack of humidity, mild winters, and access to the outdoors trumps everything.

And coming from Chicago, rent is the same as I'm used to paying.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:37 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Right now there is a study being conducted on why college educated people are choosing not to stay in the metro area when they start a family, so not only do I not find it a difficult place for a young family but many others are finding the same thing. I read a study a few months ago that it took $78,000 a year income for a family of 3 to be considered self suffecient in Fort Collins, which is cheaper than Denver, and that was using last years numbers. So not knowing what you do for work, that is the best I can tell you, stay away unless your job pays you $100,000 a year

I would leave tomorrow and not move back to Denver if I could.

I was recently on the western slope and was forced to move back to the metro area due to my daughter and my in laws health problems, between the 2 of them we were in Denver more than we were home and so we came here. my father in law passed away last week, my mother in law is not doing well at all health wise and is likely not long for this earth, once she passes than we are likely moving somewhere else.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:44 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
I recently moved out of Denver to the southwest, I don't regret it one bit. If you make over $80k a year, you'll be fine on your own, otherwise look elsewhere.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Nope.

I am a native who has been here nearly 50 years. I am seriously considering moving out of Colorado once I retire.

My parents and my wife's parents are getting old and need assistance, and I have a long term job with pension.

Pro Sports are too expensive to go to any more. Cheapest Broncos tix are $50/game if you can find them. Avalanche, Nuggets, are better on TV. Rockies might be worth an occasional outing, but they suck most years.

Shopping/Restaurants: Denver has the same chains as everywhere else. Plus, the internet allows you to shop everywhere.

Red Rocks is awesome. With the kid, you will find yourself not going to concerts you want to see because you are too busy.

Other places you could go:
Spokane, WA
Boise, ID
Lincoln, NE (not in tornado alley).
Cincinnati, OH (up and coming city)

Old 08-04-2016, 01:48 PM

31 posts, read 61,101 times
Wow, $80-100K? Seems steep. Where does Denver rank in COL among other cities? I knew it was expensive but I didn't think it was high enough to warrant that kind of salary.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:53 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
For me it is definitely worth it. I travel extensively for work so having an airport that I can get direct flights to nearly anywhere in the US is a big bonus to all the pros you listed.

There are very few places I visit that I could see myself living. We have family here, so that's an added consideration, but even if we didn't, I'm not sure where I would be happier. Maybe Northern California or Oregon, but I kind of doubt it. San Diego is great as well, but I think I would miss the mountains too much to be a full timer there. Seasonally, I'm happiest when the seasons are changing and fortunately we have a lot of that here.

There are lots of places I could take my house equity and be in a paid off home much bigger than the one in currently in, but I'm happy where I'm at. Boise and Bozeman are a couple places I might consider if I didn't need to have the big airport. That's about it for me.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Nope.

I am a native who has been here nearly 50 years. I am seriously considering moving out of Colorado once I retire.

My parents and my wife's parents are getting old and need assistance, and I have a long term job with pension.

Pro Sports are too expensive to go to any more. Cheapest Broncos tix are $50/game if you can find them. Avalanche, Nuggets, are better on TV. Rockies might be worth an occasional outing, but they suck most years.

Shopping/Restaurants: Denver has the same chains as everywhere else. Plus, the internet allows you to shop everywhere.

Red Rocks is awesome. With the kid, you will find yourself not going to concerts you want to see because you are too busy.

Other places you could go:
Spokane, WA
Boise, ID
Lincoln, NE (not in tornado alley).
Cincinnati, OH (up and coming city)
Check out the Prescott area, you might like it. 4 seasons like Denver, slightly warmer and less snow. Just without the headaches of a big city.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:02 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrightside03 View Post
Wow, $80-100K? Seems steep. Where does Denver rank in COL among other cities? I knew it was expensive but I didn't think it was high enough to warrant that kind of salary.

Northern America: Cost of Living Index by City 2016 Mid Year

Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrightside03 View Post
80-100k combined income for a family. If you were single, 50-55k would be more than fine, less if you have roommates.

Honestly though, that's 2 professional salaries -- no different than many other major cities like Chicago, Portland, Seattle, suburbs of NYC or Boston etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver