Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM

572 posts, read 552,347 times

Advertisements

I know plenty of young people that are doing quite well...
better than their parents, or generations prior...

if you place a very high value on income equality, move to a place that values that over liberty and freedom...
but I do believe that you'll find - even in communist countries - that there are haves and have-nots...

I have empathy, but also understand that life is not easy - nor should folks expect it....

glad you showed 'true colors'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL
All I can say is I hope you don't become dependent on public welfare/safety net or have kids. Because ya'll are gonna be in for a rude awakening when our generation decides to re-pay the favor back to you guys. What comes around, goes around. If you want to establish a callous, dog-eat-dog mentality in our society, then I'm very capable of and more than happy reciprocating that attitude towards you and your offspring.

real classy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Why hasn't the city done much to curb the homeless problem?
no kidding -- kind of outrageous that someone here would label this sort of public activity as a NIMBY issue...

Old 10-06-2016, 02:35 PM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 1,193,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
I know plenty of young people that are doing quite well...
better than their parents, or generations prior...

if you place a very high value on income equality, move to a place that values that over liberty and freedom...
but I do believe that you'll find - even in communist countries - that there are haves and have-nots...

I have empathy, but also understand that life is not easy - nor should folks expect it....

glad you showed 'true colors'
You're glad I showed my 'true colors'? I didn't say anything differently than you. Callous, unempathetic...that's all I mentioned and that's how your posts come across. I'm one of the few on this sub that's been very outspoken about the COL issues in this region. I cannot say the same about you.

The US is NOT the only 'free' society in the world. There are A LOT of free countries in Western Civilization that are doing just fine and do a lot more in terms of helping and caring for its people than we do here. All I'm saying is that we can strive for that while also maintaining our status as a "free society".

I'm technically doing financially better than BOTH of my parents, but it was far more difficult for me to achieve a similar lifestyle as them. I've already mentioned a number of times how they've been able to live a pretty decent lower-middle class life without having to run though half the hoops I've had to. So this is what we strive for in this country? I can't imagine what it's going to be like for your offspring, or mine if I can ever afford to have them.

If you want to better understand the realities of many young people, spend some time listening to younger people. Get off this forum that's saturated with the 40 and up crowd, and visit places like reddit where there are an abundance of younger people who can tell you about the issues they are dealing with. But more and more, we don't do that in this society. We isolate ourselves, stick our heads in the sand, and hang out only with like-minded individuals, and pretend that it's alright (Because it's alright for us). What a shame that there's so much wasted potential to strive for better conditions for everyone.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM

you don't know me, yet chastise me for not having young folks opinions/thoughts?

thanks but no thanks on the invite to reddit, etc.

I get much more 'real opinion' from IRL youngsters that I know and associate with through various hobby-centric boards and groups... and they are not completely unknown, as a commodity, personally to me...
(I noticed you have twice the posts I have, in a few less years registered than I, btw, as far as addressing who hangs out here goes)

I understand it is harder to make it today, than in our parent's generations...
way back when there just were not as many folks competing in a single, global marketplace...
I do not think that complaining will change this fact of the times...

Old 10-06-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I understand it is harder to make it today, than in our parent's generations...
way back when there just were not as many folks competing in a single, global marketplace...
I do not think that complaining will change this fact of the times...
It's not complaining. It's getting the message out and convincing people that there is an issue. Just the other day, we had a regular poster posting about some political amendment that's on the ballot this year and encouraging people to be informed and vote in favor of it.

This is called public discourse. THIS IS how a democracy works.

And I don't know what my personal post count has to do with anything as it pertains to me and me only. The majority (not all) of the regulars on this sub are 40+ from my experience. You said yourself that you are 40. Am I missing something?

Old 10-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
You're glad I showed my 'true colors'? I didn't say anything differently than you. Callous, unempathetic...that's all I mentioned and that's how your posts come across. I'm one of the few on this sub that's been very outspoken about the COL issues in this region. I cannot say the same about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL
All I can say is I hope you don't become dependent on public welfare/safety net or have kids. Because ya'll are gonna be in for a rude awakening when our generation decides to re-pay the favor back to you guys. What comes around, goes around. If you want to establish a callous, dog-eat-dog mentality in our society, then I'm very capable of and more than happy reciprocating that attitude towards you and your offspring.

Please show me where I even presented an illusion to generational retaliation and/or harm to you and yours...

Old 10-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Please show me where I even presented an illusion to generational retaliation and/or harm to you and yours...

I think you mean "allusion". But that's besides the point.

The point of my earlier comment was not to cause harm to anyone. Rather, it was to make the point that the "It's not muh problem" attitude will likely cultivate an even further detached and unempathetic outlook towards societal issues than there is today. In other words, if you don't want to take my issue seriously, why should I care about anything that pertains to you down the road when you or yours may need it the most? It's a pretty common problem for older generations to snub their noses at younger generations and their issues (that they probably left them with in the first place), but these are the same people who are (in the next several years) going to have their hands out looking for someone to take care of them, their health costs, etc., when they can no longer afford to do it for themselves.

I'm sorry, but that's not the kind of society that I want to live in. We can do better, and we should hold ourselves to a higher standard because of who we are.

Last edited by SQL; 10-06-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 03:04 PM

snarky responses really help in fostering meaningful dialog...

you do realize that being a grammar police is considered racist now?
http://boingboing.net/2012/12/13/lit...or-why-gr.html

Old 10-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
snarky responses really help in fostering meaningful dialog...

you do realize that being a grammar police is considered racist now?
Literacy privilege, or, why grammar nazis are dicks / Boing Boing
You're gonna love this response then...

Technically, it's not your grammar that was the issue. You used a malapropism.

FWIW, I understood what you meant. Don't hate me.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
You're gonna love this response then...

Technically, it's not your grammar that was the issue. You used a malapropism.

FWIW, I understood what you meant.
it is pretty awesome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver