Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 AM

66 posts, read 161,347 times

Advertisements

I am rather new here in the Denver area and would like to head south to the Arizona/New Mexico area for some (semi!) warm weather hiking and other outdoor recreational activities. I plan on driving.

Would anyone care to recommend some areas closer to a city/town that has lots of hiking trails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 AM

29 posts, read 47,189 times
So basically you are looking for something where it's warmer. Can you define how cold is too cold?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Michael, you said that you would like to head south to the Arizona/New Mexico area. So if you are looking for recommendations in those states, then you should post on those forums.

Before you go south, though, you should give winter in Colorado a chance. Usually there are very warm days where you will be able to enjoy hiking. Not sure what you are looking for in "other outdoor recreational activities".

Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Michael, you said that you would like to head south to the Arizona/New Mexico area. So if you are looking for recommendations in those states, then you should post on those forums.

Before you go south, though, you should give winter in Colorado a chance. Usually there are very warm days where you will be able to enjoy hiking. Not sure what you are looking for in "other outdoor recreational activities".
This. I find that some trails near Denver are actually better in the winter because they're not elbow-to-elbow with people and you don't have to worry (as much) about being mowed down by inconsiderate or inattentive mountain bikers. Just get yourself a pair of snowshoes and microspikes (preferably Kahtoolas NOT YakTrax) and hit the trail.

I've gone snowshoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park in February and had to remove layers til I was down to my t-shirt. I went up Bergen Peak this past February and saw a half dozen people at most. I did the same hike on Memorial Day Weekend and probably saw 50-60 people on the trail.

Keep in mind that most of the mountainous areas of Northern New Mexico and Arizona won't be all that much warmer (or drier) than it is here.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:52 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The problem with hiking around here in winter when it's warm is the trails can be very muddy from snow melt. I experienced that a few weeks ago in the Golden area.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM

66 posts, read 161,347 times
I was more interested in where long time Dever-ites like to go (within reasonable driving distance) when it starts getting too cold here.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:52 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
I was more interested in where long time Dever-ites like to go (within reasonable driving distance) when it starts getting too cold here.
Skiing.

You should ask in the Arizona or New Mexico forums if you want Arizona and New Mexico info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: