Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 9,547 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my first west bound roadtrip from Pittsburgh, Pa to Colorado Springs, Co. in the beginning of January. I see there is a debate between taking I-70 vs. I-80, as far as a site seeing route goes which would you recommend has the best must see stops with in a reasonable distance from the normal route? I understand snow may be a factor to keep in mind. I'm looking for anything from the "worlds largest" things to the weirdest things around, to historical/educational stops. Anything to break up the drive and still be entertaining when we stop for a stretch. We will be driving the whole drive at once, no over night stops, so part of the drive will be at night if there are any suggestions for night time stops, maybe a nice place to check out some stars! I've already checked out roadsideamerica.com and thrillist.com among some other google searches and I only found a handful of suggestions that are within a half hour off of the route, not all of them seem very "I must see this" though. I would like some personal experiences from people who have traveled this and found things I may not see online. Short walking trails, waterfalls, worlds largest, weirdest, odd roadside attractions, historical/educational, anything really! Please and thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:43 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
When are you taking the trip?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
corn, there is plenty of corn on both routes..

Old 12-07-2016, 12:59 PM

Default January 7th

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
When are you taking the trip?
We will be leaving Saturday the 7th in the evening hours and driving over night and all day Sunday. Hoping to arrive late Sunday night.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
You do realize I80 doesn't go through Colorado? It would take you into Wyoming where you would pickup I 25 and head south to Colorado Springs.

Doesn't matter which route, there is not much too see unless you plan on getting off the interstate, and your drive time frame really doesn't leave room for sight seeing.

I've done this trip and your time frame even with 2 drivers is grueling.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali9110 View Post
We will be leaving Saturday the 7th in the evening hours and driving over night and all day Sunday. Hoping to arrive late Sunday night.
Accidentally overlooked the part in your original post about early January. Given the fact that you're leaving in the evening you'll get to either the Quad Cities (I-80) or St. Louis (I-70) by morning. Most of your daylight driving will be in IA/NE (I-80) or KS/MO (I-70).

With that in mind, I'd go with I-70. You can stop in St. Louis and spend a couple hours at the Gateway Arch (get tickets in advance if you want to try to go to the top of the arch).

Most of the stuff on I-80 is kitschy. There's "The Great Platte River Road Archway" (arch to nowhere) in Kearney, the Pony Express Cabin in Gothenburg, the Buffalo Bill Ranch in North Platte, or Boot Hill Cemetery in Ogallala.

EDIT: If you take the I-70 route, you'll likely take US-24 from Limon into Colorado Springs. Paint Mines Interpretive Park in Calhan is right off 24, is free, and it's a mini-Badlands.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You do realize I80 doesn't go through Colorado? It would take you into Wyoming where you would pickup I 25 and head south to Colorado Springs.

Doesn't matter which route, there is not much too see unless you plan on getting off the interstate.
They'd likely take I-76 from Big Springs, NE, to Denver.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You do realize I80 doesn't go through Colorado? It would take you into Wyoming where you would pickup I 25 and head south to Colorado Springs
Yes, thank you. I was thinking, if it's worth it, take one route there and one route home I could hit more states. I would like to see Denver as well so if I drive up to Denver before I leave and take I-76 from Denver to I-80 through Nebraska and Iowa then I can head back south a little bit once I get to Illinois and jump back on I-70 or something. I want to see as much as I possibly can with in my time limits.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Accidentally overlooked the part in your original post about early January. Given the fact that you're leaving in the evening you'll get to either the Quad Cities (I-80) or St. Louis (I-70) by morning. Most of your daylight driving will be in IA/NE (I-80) or KS/MO (I-70).

With that in mind, I'd go with I-70. You can stop in St. Louis and spend a couple hours at the Gateway Arch (get tickets in advance if you want to try to go to the top of the arch).

Most of the stuff on I-80 is kitschy. There's "The Great Platte River Road Archway" (arch to nowhere) in Kearney, the Pony Express Cabin in Gothenburg, the Buffalo Bill Ranch in North Platte, or Boot Hill Cemetery in Ogallala.

EDIT: If you take the I-70 route, you'll likely take US-24 from Limon into Colorado Springs. Paint Mines Interpretive Park in Calhan is right off 24, is free, and it's a mini-Badlands.
So if I take I-70 on my way to Colorado and my daylight drive time would be in that area, coming back home going the opposite way would it be a little different, right? We would be leaving probably early evening Saturday to come home and again be driving through the night. The route home will allow for a little more time to site see if we don't get to see certain things on the way to Colorado. Would you still recommend taking I-70 on the way home too and just hitting different stops as the daylight allows?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:20 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
I've driven both routes from MI.

I-80 to I-76 to I-25 is usually the shortest route.

I-70 is the longer route, but will take you through some larger cities that you might enjoy seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver