Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM

30 posts, read 62,718 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Denver in a few months (we cannot wait!!! ) for work purposes. We will rent an apartment or condo in the city initially but if all goes well, we plan on buying a home in the next 1-2 years.
We are a same sex couple with very liberal views and we are looking for suburbs with like minded individuals. What are some of the most liberal, democratic Denver suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 01:56 PM

461 posts, read 545,855 times
Boulder Boulder Boulder. Well, Boulder's not the Denver metro area I guess. Except for Castle Rock and Parker, I think the whole Denver area is a liberal's dream.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider View Post
My wife and I are relocating to Denver in a few months (we cannot wait!!! ) for work purposes. We will rent an apartment or condo in the city initially but if all goes well, we plan on buying a home in the next 1-2 years.
We are a same sex couple with very liberal views and we are looking for suburbs with like minded individuals. What are some of the most liberal, democratic Denver suburbs?
Where will work be and what will your proposed budget be?

Boulder is the most liberal city in the state, though a daily commute to downtown Denver would be rough.

Outside of Boulder and Golden though, few other cities in the Denver Metro have a solid "downtown" atmosphere and are more of an urban sprawl. Belmar in Lakewood might be more progressive and "hip" with a walkable shop/restaurant scene, though you'll pay more for it than other areas.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Sijym2crsm...line%2Bmap.png

Above is a map of election results.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:14 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Is the city out? The city is more liberal than anything except Boulder.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
The city of Denver has many residential neighborhoods with single family homes and a fairly suburban lifestyle, which sound like they might be a good fit for you.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:13 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The city of Denver has many residential neighborhoods with single family homes and a fairly suburban lifestyle, which sound like they might be a good fit for you.
But do Bernie Sanders fans live there or has the Fox crowd settled in?

Boulder is THE place to go if you're a billionaire. It's been too long since I lived in Denver, so I can't really say for that city. The area around University of Denver, including the area due west of it, used to be pretty liberal. Now? Beats me.

Here's an aside: My small (in numbers) county in remote rural Colorado always goes overwhelmingly republican in every election. I happened to see a list of the last election turn-out by precinct just the other day. There was one precinct where every single presidential vote went to Hillary and not a single one to her opponent. Guess where this precinct was located? On the Ute Mountain Ute Nation centered around the town of Towaoc in the Four Corners area. I myself have the great good fortune to be the Utes' next door neighbor. Of course, there would be that 400 mile each way commute to Denver.

Oh, and whatever you do, DON'T go anywhere that is roughly within a 30 mile radius around libertarian Colorado Springs.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Hillary Clinton won Denver County 74-19. That's a higher percentage than Boulder County, which was 70 to 22. I think it's fair to say that Denver is pretty liberal.

There may be some differences from that number if you just looked at city results, but I couldn't easily find those since the results are primarily reported at the county level.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
But do Bernie Sanders fans live there or has the Fox crowd settled in?

Boulder is THE place to go if you're a billionaire. It's been too long since I lived in Denver, so I can't really say for that city. The area around University of Denver, including the area due west of it, used to be pretty liberal. Now? Beats me.

Here's an aside: My small (in numbers) county in remote rural Colorado always goes overwhelmingly republican in every election. I happened to see a list of the last election turn-out by precinct just the other day. There was one precinct where every single presidential vote went to Hillary and not a single one to her opponent. Guess where this precinct was located? On the Ute Mountain Ute Nation centered around the town of Towaoc in the Four Corners area. I myself have the great good fortune to be the Utes' next door neighbor. Of course, there would be that 400 mile each way commute to Denver.

Oh, and whatever you do, DON'T go anywhere that is roughly within a 30 mile radius around libertarian Colorado Springs.
Denver went over 70% for Clinton in the general, but for Bernie in the primary. Not the Fox crowd.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I presume you mean this as tongue-in-cheek humor but the OP may take it seriously. To the OP, there are as far as I know thousands of same-sex couples in Colorado Springs, an annual "Colorado Springs Pride" parade, a "Gay and Lesbian Alliance" (at least it used to be called that), and has apparently been named the third-"best" town in Colorado for LGBT families and 13th-"best" in the USA (Boulder being fourth-"best") - see Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The USA being still a free country and Colorado being a US state and Colorado Springs being a Colorado town and several neighborhoods of Colorado Springs being heavily liberal and Democratic (downtown, Westside, Manitou, etc.), I think the more time the OP spends in Colorado Springs THE BETTER. In fact, bring all your LGBT friends for a visit, or to live, and be active, visible, friendly, and make my city a better, more loving, and more authentic place.

Last edited by Yac; 03-15-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM

30 posts, read 62,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Where will work be and what will your proposed budget be?

Boulder is the most liberal city in the state, though a daily commute to downtown Denver would be rough.

Outside of Boulder and Golden though, few other cities in the Denver Metro have a solid "downtown" atmosphere and are more of an urban sprawl. Belmar in Lakewood might be more progressive and "hip" with a walkable shop/restaurant scene, though you'll pay more for it than other areas.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Sijym2crsm...line%2Bmap.png

Above is a map of election results.
Work will be 40% in Lakewood (zip 80228), 40% in Westminster (zip 80023) and 20% of the time closer to the city (zip code 80210).

Boulder is out for being too far of a drive; and also, we're not billionaires, lol. Even though I did love Boulder when I went to visit. We would like to stay under 500k as far as budget goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver