Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,735,725 times

Advertisements

People always talk about going to the mountains and how it's a hassle getting to them, but the Southern part of the metro isn't a place that people even consider when they want to get out. It's not nearly on the level of the real mountains, but the area driving south out of Denver provides a great alternative for people who want to see hills, forests, and beautiful scenery. Plenty of options for hiking like the hike up Castle Rock or through Castlewood Canyon. It's a lot closer to parts of the metro and very accessible.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-28-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 AM

8,613 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I go to Castlewood Canyon a couple times a year. Have hiked all but a one or two trails there. I typically avoid it in the summer because of the heat and snakes in the canyon. You can combine the upper and lower loops for a nice 6-mile hike. Was actually planning on heading there this weekend or next.

Rock Park in Castle Rock is nice, but the trails are short. If you don't mind doing a little Class 3 scrambling you can climb to the top of the rock.

Hidden Mesa between Parker and Franktown is a nice loop for snowshoeing and biking. It's about 7 miles if you start at the trailhead off Highway 83 and do the whole loop.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:51 PM

561 posts, read 407,164 times
Well recently we vacationed in Colorado Springs, Salida, and Crested Butte -- one place just a little south and the others for longer trips south, and 70% of the other visitors we met were all from Denver. // Maybe not what you are talking about, but there are a lot of Denver people doing day trips (Colorado Spings) long weekends (all of the above) and week long trips (all of the places above) south.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:04 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,609,206 times
I go to Castlewood and Roxborough. Also like to hit Staunton and Meyer Ranch.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:57 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,443,626 times
I go to these areas more than I go to the mountains. I love the area between Denver and Cos.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:27 AM

7,220 posts, read 9,383,366 times
On Sunday afternoons while driving home to Colorado Springs from Denver, I've been amazed by the huge amount of traffic on I-25 heading North into Denver. Between Monument and Castle Rock, it usually becomes a crawl.

So I'd guess that quite a few of those people had spent the weekend enjoying the mountains near Colorado Springs.

When I was young we'd do our backpacking in the Sangre de Cristo range. I climbed the Crestone Needle twice. We would have the whole area to ourselves. Perhaps the Denver crowd discovered that place.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,482,322 times
OP just openend a can of worms. Watch next weekend these places will be packed.

I’ll check it out myself. I usually ride down to and around Chatfield, but don’t go much further south than that. Any good paved bike paths that way?

Old 10-02-2017, 10:35 AM

8,613 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
OP just openend a can of worms. Watch next weekend these places will be packed.

I’ll check it out myself. I usually ride down to and around Chatfield, but don’t go much further south than that. Any good paved bike paths that way?
You can ride the Cherry Creek Trail from Confluence Park all the way to Castlewood Canyon. It's about 40 miles one-way.

There's also the East-West Regional Trail that runs from near Chatfield to Cabela's.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7011868

Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,482,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You can ride the Cherry Creek Trail from Confluence Park all the way to Castlewood Canyon. It's about 40 miles one-way.

There's also the East-West Regional Trail that runs from near Chatfield to Cabela's.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7011868
Thanks, I’ll check that out. I’m off the Highline Canal just north of Cherry Creek, so I can pick that up pretty easily.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:08 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,181,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Thanks, I’ll check that out. I’m off the Highline Canal just north of Cherry Creek, so I can pick that up pretty easily.
I miss the Highline Canal... Cherry Creek trail near downtown isn't as cool...

I love the area around Castle Rock! I just drove it Saturday (down to 83) and it was gorgeous with the leaves and I didn't have any traffic stops! The north end of Black Forest is really cool too. There's more mesas and plateaus up there mixed in with the pines. Really great for a motorcycle ride. Sedalia, just west of Castle Rock, is going to be really pretty in about 3 weeks when all the scrub oak turn orange and red, and they'll be bright this year with all the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver