Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
No thanks. Indy may be cheaper, but it's also dumpier, has significantly more violent crime, and is a serious downgrade in QOL. I wouldn't move there for double my Denver salary.
My only experiences with Indy have been running the marathon in 2013-2015, but I didn't find it too bad. That said, I feel like Denver is on a completely different scale than Indy -- in culture. recreation, and economy.

While I would never choose to live in Indy, I have a high school friend who went to med school at IUPUI and is still down there and never has had anything negative to say about it, outside any complaints of a midwest city of that size would have (weather, not a lot of outdoor activities, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
My only experiences with Indy have been running the marathon in 2013-2015, but I didn't find it too bad. That said, I feel like Denver is on a completely different scale than Indy -- in culture. recreation, and economy.

While I would never choose to live in Indy, I have a high school friend who went to med school at IUPUI and is still down there and never has had anything negative to say about it, outside any complaints of a midwest city of that size would have (weather, not a lot of outdoor activities, etc)
Denver is significantly larger than Indy, but how would you say it's on a different scale?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,702,622 times
We sold our house in the south ‘burbs in June. At that time there were one or two other houses for sale in the neighborhood and both sold in days.
Now...
Seven houses are on the market in the same hood. Most for at least a month. A few with price reductions already.
The market is shifting and fast.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:16 PM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Just for reference, I have been watching Zillow and filtering by the "days on Zillow" every morning. Available homes seem to be only increase day after day. It's also funny seeing homes get listed for like 425K, and then come back at 335K or something. Not very common, but still kind of funny.

Heh...

Last edited by MN_Ski; 10-24-2018 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 07:58 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Denver is significantly larger than Indy, but how would you say it's on a different scale?
Indianapolis has 200,000 more people than Denver.
I don’t think you understand what “larger” means.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:24 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
I lived in Indianapolis for 8 years, and having spent a few visits to Denver it is not even marginally debatable that Denver is far superior. Indy is undoubtedly cheaper, but also significantly poorer with higher crime that is not segregated to specific areas of town.

Indy does have some nicer qualities and the downtown areas has made strong strides over the last few years, but the overall QOL is still overall poor, IMO. There's a strong sports culture, but there's not much else there - and the only places that really have a decent QOL are in the higher property value areas.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Just for reference, I have been watching Zillow and filtering by the "days on Zillow" every morning. Available homes seem to be only increase day after day. It's also funny seeing homes get listed for like 425K, and then come back at 335K or something. Not very common, but still kind of funny.

Heh...

Was that a flip where they did work on it or did they seriously think they were going to make 100K for buying and then selling it 3 months later?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Indianapolis has 200,000 more people than Denver.
I don’t think you understand what “larger” means.

I don't think you understand what larger means. City populations are drawn by arbitrary city boundary lines.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Population: 2 million

Denver Metropolitan Population: 2.88 million

Over 800,000 more people living in the Denver metro area. Would you really say that Indianapolis is larger than Washington D.C., Miami, Boston, and Seattle? Please stop comparing city populations, it's a very inaccurate comparison.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:19 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Yes, I am a pedant and annoying

Quote:
I don't think you understand what larger means. City populations are drawn by arbitrary city boundary lines.
City means political boundaries.
MSA is a completely different animal.
You wrote “city”.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
City means political boundaries.
MSA is a completely different animal.
You wrote “city”.

I said,

Quote:

That is what I said, please scroll up. No one in their right mind goes around saying that Indianapolis is larger than Minneapolis, Detroit, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Baltimore, Seattle, and yes Denver. City populations are arbitrary numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver