Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:29 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
You're welcome. I always enjoy dispelling stereotypes of my hometown. We have, unfortunately, developed a national reputation over the last 25 years that has come from a very vocal, and at times very hypocritical, minority of people who have chosen to take their soapboxes to the national stage. While there are areas of social conservatives in the northern part of the city and county, and the place over all is fiscally conservative to a point of stupidity at times, the balance of Cos is actually very middle of the road and very libertarian with a few areas of social liberals. Despite the evangelicals here, we also have an active LGBTQ community, who hold a large parade annually. We have one of only a half dozen coffin races in the whole country held annually in nearby Manitou where everybody can get their goth on one weekend a year. Manitou also has their annual fruitcake toss and punkin chunkin contests as well. Strips clubs, got em. Women's roller derby, yup, that's here. Climbing clubs, present. Spin classes, yup. Yoga, numerous studios are available. Night clubs, sure, but you will find a higher male percentage in these and I wouldn't consider them a good pick up method. To tag onto another thread I'm involved in, Cos has a higher percentage of Pacific Islander, Native Americans, and mixed race people than even LA. While we are still 78% white, we aren't necessarily as cookie cutter everywhere as some might think.

Now, that does not mean we are some paradise of social activity. Not necessarily. The city is under half a million people, so by sheer numbers, Denver offers a proportionally greater slice of things to do and people to meet. Denver will present a more urban type of environment through its many adjoining cities with differing population demographics, rules and regs, and tax structures. CO is not too different from most of the country in our urban areas being more liberal and our rural areas being more conservative, but overall, it is fairly typical of the mountain west libertarian outlook in many aspects.

You are correct that dating is not impossible here. To say you would have to go years without a relationship may not be accurate, but if constant and regular dating is a priority, CO may not be the best place for it. If it is an additional activity you do, then it isn't so bad. Dating was never a priority for me, so I can't say if it sucked. Did I get dates as I went through life doing things I enjoyed, sure did. Sometimes they were a single date, sometimes they lasted for many months. But as I've said before, you can't just show up and expect everything to be wonderful. You will need to engage with the process of getting to know someone of do something of mutual interest. I found this to be true of not just Cos, but Denver and Pueblo as well. If you can present a persona outside the typical "bro" mentality, you may be fine, but I also would caution against thinking you can get any women you want because of where you came from or how well traveled you are. I'd also say that the further into the 'burbs you go, the more family oriented things will become, but you will encounter pockets of singles in some areas.

Social services in Colorado are nearly a joke. I literally got lied to about getting payment for unemployment a few weeks ago (I have a new job now starting in a few weeks.) They told me the money would be in my account on the 13th after dealing with some witch over the phone. Never happened. Had to call up again and finally got payment. If CA and NY can get it right with unemployment, why is it such a PITA in CO? Frankly, I think they just don't want to make an effort to pay people.

Mental Health services are really bad too for it being at high altitude in the Mountain West.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Social services in Colorado are nearly a joke. I literally got lied to about getting payment for unemployment a few weeks ago (I have a new job now starting in a few weeks.) They told me the money would be in my account on the 13th after dealing with some witch over the phone. Never happened. Had to call up again and finally got payment. If CA and NY can get it right with unemployment, why is it such a PITA in CO? Frankly, I think they just don't want to make an effort to pay people.

Mental Health services are really bad too for it being at high altitude in the Mountain West.
You're still here? I thought you left.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You're still here? I thought you left.
CO unemployment can be claimed in CA where I live until July

Old 05-25-2018, 07:24 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If it's your religion, go ahead! People have joined churches for worse reasons.
I don't mind to church on Sunday, but I don't necessarily agree with the entire theology.

I liked the Sienfeld video!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Volunteer for any entity that deals with cats and/or dogs. See if local museums or zoos offer docent programs. Spin or yoga classes also seem to be heavily gender biased as well.
I don't know about cats or dogs lol. I know this is the way to meet people, however, I just want to be careful so that I sign up for things I will like even if there's no good female matches. Like the coed sand volleyball league I'm in, there's no attractive ladies this team, but I still enjoy playing volleyball regardless of that. Next one I'm looking at is the orchid society, I just hope there's at least some ladies under 55
Quote:
Agree with you for the most part. Although someone once told me to also meet single women via the Church - that's backwards in terms of my values to me. If I wanted to do that I'd just move to Utah and become a Mormon.
Eh, I could marry a Catholic, Orthodox, or Mainline Protestant, but Mormons or Evangelicals are whole nother deal. It's a lot less universalist and they require a lot more involvement, so I think it'd be too much relational strife if both spouses didn't see eye to eye.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Colorado Springs has 30,000 young, handsome, healthy Infantry soldiers on post and a lot of them are single and competing for available females. Not a good city for any single man given that competition. The happy hunting grounds for women is NYC and DC where tons of interesting women abound. There's a large Jewish population just north of DC in Montgomery County, MD and of course a huge Jewish presence in NYC. There's a good sized Jewish presence in Baltimore which is quite affordable and being from there I can tell you the seafood is awesome.
Hey Mike,
I appreciate your insight here.. It looks like I am actually going to be moving to North Carolina after all.. I'm pretty much set on Charlotte and will be traveling out there next week. With that being said, I will be within driving distance to both Washington DC and Baltimore. I'd love to explore the areas and see what the Jewish communities are like there. Supposedly, they have quite a large and long established community in both cities. As far as living, I probably could not live in Maryland, due to various laws it has that wouldn't agree with me. Obviously, one, would be gun ownership/firearm issue. The North Virginia side of DC metro is a possibility and if I get my business launched and can make some more money and Washington, DC could be an option for me. NYC, obviously, is like the Second Israel and I do plan on making trips up there time to time for Jewish holidays if I live in North Carolina. That is one of the perks of being on the East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
That was hiliarious! I don't think I can renounce my Jewish religion and convert to Christianity to appease a woman. I take my religious seriously and put it before anything. Of course, I know the fact I don't go to church and the fact I am not a very religious Jew means I do limit some of my dating options. Many areas, church is about the only game in town to find a decent lady. Bars are just depressing, at least in the Pacific Northwest and you hardly ever see single women in them.

Well, I am kind of sad that I cannot afford to live in Colorado. Colorado Springs sounds like it could be a good retirement destination one day, but as a single guy I can pretty much believe it would be a bit lonesome for me. Another place I thought would make a very nice retirement destination would be Durango. I really admire the beauty of the San Juan mountains and Southwestern Colorado. I may one day reconsider living in Denver, but I guess I am set on moving to North Carolina now. I appreciate all the information people have given me and has definitely help educate me on Colorado and the Denver/Colorado Springs areas.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:30 PM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I thank everyone for their replies and always appreciate information people give, whether it is what I want to hear or not.

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. It sounds a lot like Seattle area. Well, if I move to Denver, I will be spending the next two years, working like 70+/hrs a week studying new software technologies and trying to keep small family software business alive. So, if my dating prospects are abysmal, I guess I will save money and time and be able to get more work done in a worse case scenario. Nonetheless, I am sure Denver's dating scene is better than anywhere else in the Rocky Mountain region. Outside of Denver, of course, there are not many cities in or near the Rocky mountains.

I find it pretty interesting that so many people are telling me to move to Colorado Springs. After all the research I have done, I actually think Colorado Springs would be the last place on Earth I would want to live. Having a gun culture and shooting range alone is not going to be a main influencing factor for me. Also, many people mistake Libertarian for right-wing Republican and have no clue what a Libertarian actually is. I don't want to get political at all, so I will just make a brief explanation of why Colorado Springs would not work for me.

First of all, I want to avoid living in any area dominated by Evangelical Christian Republicans. I've been told it is the Bible Belt of Colorado. This is the reason I have decided against living in the Bible Belt and cancelled my trip to Tennessee, which was a place I thought I would move until I did more investigation. Being a Jewish person, the Anti-Semitism in these type of places can really be quite bad. The worst part about it is that the racism is very blanketed and most people who are not Jewish I think may not realize how repressive it feels to constantly have people condemn or mock you for what you are. As well, the constant attempts at conversions, frequent insulting jokes and if you are not a religious Christian, you will be excluded from their social circles and find it very difficult to make friends in such an environment. I have lived in some religious evangelical dominated areas and I always end up being miserable and encountering more racism than I wish to endure. Being a minority and having a conflicting religious ideology just doesn't fly. I respect these people have their religion, but I cannot live in a place dominated by it. This is probably why I couldn't live in Iran either, despite my love of many aspects of Persian culture. If you read my post on that thread, the separation of Church and State is very essential to me.

Another problem with Colorado Springs is that it is not Libertarian at all. Yes, I know the American Libertarian party started there, but that doesn't mean the city, itself, upholds those values. Colorado Springs has banned recreational cannabis stores which means I will have to travel to Denver. I cannot get a MMJ permit for various reasons and won't explain. Yes, I could easily qualify, but don't trust them based on the current environment. Another problem with Colorado Springs is that it is a military town. I live in a military town (Lacey near Ft. Lewis) and I have sworn never to live in another military town. If you are single guy and not in the military, living in a military town really is miserable. Most everyone gets married young and dating is a miserable chore. And, making friends in a military town is also miserable, as military guys generally only make friends with other military guys. Colorado Springs is also a small city/large town. I only want to live in cities with metro areas of over 2,000,000 and have no desire to live in anymore small cities.

I really admire the scenery and beauty of Colorado Springs, but have zero desire to live there.

Anyhow, I think if I move to Colorado I will be moving to Denver area (not the city, itself; but, nearby) and may end up living in Colorado whether I like it or not, because of its Libertarian friendly laws. So, I understand Denver may be far from ideal. If people think I will not be able make friends in the area or be hard pressed to find a date with a girl who is not self-absorbed and using the gender advantage, well I guess I will have to accept it. It may still not change me from moving to Denver. As well, being in the software industry I may eventually need to find work (after a couple of years) and really need to network with other IT people, so living in small towns like Colorado Springs or Fort Collins that are much more blue-collar, military ,etc will also be a disadvantage.

I am open though to other places people think would work for me based on my criteria, as well. I was contemplating doing a move to Las Vegas, but now have decided against it. I'm thinking I may not like the atmosphere and the cannabis/firearm laws are actually very strange and I believe in Nevada you are allowed one or the other, but could be in big trouble if you have both at the state level. Colorado has no such restrictions from all the research I have done.
Really?
I found it the opposite. I got more dates based solely on the fact I wasn't military in a military town. Both the Springs and here.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Hey Mike,
I appreciate your insight here.. It looks like I am actually going to be moving to North Carolina after all.. I'm pretty much set on Charlotte and will be traveling out there next week. With that being said, I will be within driving distance to both Washington DC and Baltimore. I'd love to explore the areas and see what the Jewish communities are like there. Supposedly, they have quite a large and long established community in both cities. As far as living, I probably could not live in Maryland, due to various laws it has that wouldn't agree with me. Obviously, one, would be gun ownership/firearm issue. The North Virginia side of DC metro is a possibility and if I get my business launched and can make some more money and Washington, DC could be an option for me. NYC, obviously, is like the Second Israel and I do plan on making trips up there time to time for Jewish holidays if I live in North Carolina. That is one of the perks of being on the East Coast

That was hiliarious! I don't think I can renounce my Jewish religion and convert to Christianity to appease a woman. I take my religious seriously and put it before anything. Of course, I know the fact I don't go to church and the fact I am not a very religious Jew means I do limit some of my dating options. Many areas, church is about the only game in town to find a decent lady. Bars are just depressing, at least in the Pacific Northwest and you hardly ever see single women in them.

Well, I am kind of sad that I cannot afford to live in Colorado. Colorado Springs sounds like it could be a good retirement destination one day, but as a single guy I can pretty much believe it would be a bit lonesome for me. Another place I thought would make a very nice retirement destination would be Durango. I really admire the beauty of the San Juan mountains and Southwestern Colorado. I may one day reconsider living in Denver, but I guess I am set on moving to North Carolina now. I appreciate all the information people have given me and has definitely help educate me on Colorado and the Denver/Colorado Springs areas.
Sounds like that will be a better fit for you.

And Charlotte has a pretty thriving Jewish community, so hopefully you will find your tribe there.

Foundation of Shalom Park | The Foundation of Shalom Park is a 501(c)(3) non-profit agency that owns and manages the properties and facilities for most of the organizations that are located on the central campus of Shalom Park.

Chabad of Charlotte, NC & Congregation Ohr HaTorah

Charlotte Torah Center - Inspiring Jewish life, learning, and community

Old 06-03-2018, 12:06 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
30's single male here. I've lived in 9 states, and several major cities (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Salt Lake, Dallas, Austin). I've had complaints about all those cities. So when I got a job and transferred here, I was stoked. Finally, in a place that just seems perfrect me.

Well...I've been here 13 months and I'm a bit speechless at how hard it has been here. In all the aforementioned cities, I made friends within the first 3 months. Dating, no problem. Irritating in some places but not a problem. Example. I ripped Pittsburgh as they tend to not date outsiders, despite that, I did date a few woman, they were all transplants since PA girls wouldn't date an outsider, but they were dates nonetheless. Dallas, as long as I had a nice car and apmt, I was a catch. Men out number woman there, but I was able to compete. It was work, but again, the illusion of money was all it took. SLC? Man, zero effort, girls swarmed me like bees to honey. I'm not the best looking guy but they made me feel like a rock start.

Then I got to Denver. Didn't expect SLC, but expected Dallas (a tough grind) Immediately put in the work. Results? Nope. Nada. zip. Zilch. Not one phone number. Nothing. I can't even make a ****ing friend here. I'm a die hard Rockies fan, hockey fan, have gone to language meetups, hiking meetups, singles meetups, costume parties, transplant parties, nothing. Nobody (transplant nor native) in this city wants to be anywhere near me. So much, I'm starting to wonder if I smell. Never had an issue like this. This city is cold as ice and I can't figure out why or how. Did not see this coming. Totally blind sided me. In all my visits to Colorado, I never missed an opportunity to tell Utahans how much better CO was than them. Now 13 months later, I'm stunned. No way I'd go back to Utah, but I have to say I won't be scoreboarding on any city vs Denver anytime soon. It really sucks that making friends or dating is so tough here because that's really my only complaints about living in Denver. Well, that and the high rent, lol.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
30's single male here. I've lived in 9 states, and several major cities (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Salt Lake, Dallas, Austin). I've had complaints about all those cities. So when I got a job and transferred here, I was stoked. Finally, in a place that just seems perfrect me.

Well...I've been here 13 months and I'm a bit speechless at how hard it has been here. In all the aforementioned cities, I made friends within the first 3 months. Dating, no problem. Irritating in some places but not a problem. Example. I ripped Pittsburgh as they tend to not date outsiders, despite that, I did date a few woman, they were all transplants since PA girls wouldn't date an outsider, but they were dates nonetheless. Dallas, as long as I had a nice car and apmt, I was a catch. Men out number woman there, but I was able to compete. It was work, but again, the illusion of money was all it took. SLC? Man, zero effort, girls swarmed me like bees to honey. I'm not the best looking guy but they made me feel like a rock start.

Then I got to Denver. Didn't expect SLC, but expected Dallas (a tough grind) Immediately put in the work. Results? Nope. Nada. zip. Zilch. Not one phone number. Nothing. I can't even make a ****ing friend here. I'm a die hard Rockies fan, hockey fan, have gone to language meetups, hiking meetups, singles meetups, costume parties, transplant parties, nothing. Nobody (transplant nor native) in this city wants to be anywhere near me. So much, I'm starting to wonder if I smell. Never had an issue like this. This city is cold as ice and I can't figure out why or how. Did not see this coming. Totally blind sided me. In all my visits to Colorado, I never missed an opportunity to tell Utahans how much better CO was than them. Now 13 months later, I'm stunned. No way I'd go back to Utah, but I have to say I won't be scoreboarding on any city vs Denver anytime soon. It really sucks that making friends or dating is so tough here because that's really my only complaints about living in Denver. Well, that and the high rent, lol.
That sucks - sorry to hear that. I made guy friends in DEN when I lived there no problem. A little immature but still good people. I think the problem is that many people in their 30-40s act like 18 year olds. And early/mid 20s? Forget it, they act like 12 year olds. If you're mature, single, and a guy, I'd wager Denver isn't for you. Which sounds like you are.

I'm a bit surprised about the comparisons of SLC though. Every review I've read is how even more insular it is than DEN - mostly because of the Mormon population sticking together. DFW as you mentioned I could totally see. As long as you have your s*** half together you could easily hack the dating scene.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:37 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Quote:
That sucks - sorry to hear that. I made guy friends in DEN when I lived there no problem. A little immature but still good people. I think the problem is that many people in their 30-40s act like 18 year olds. And early/mid 20s? Forget it, they act like 12 year olds. If you're mature, single, and a guy, I'd wager Denver isn't for you. Which sounds like you are.

I'm a bit surprised about the comparisons of SLC though. Every review I've read is how even more insular it is than DEN - mostly because of the Mormon population sticking together. DFW as you mentioned I could totally see. As long as you have your s*** half together you could easily hack the dating scene.
The Mormon church has tried to cover up the fact that they are hemorrhaging members. So when you look at statistics, it looks like most of SLC is still mormon. However, 3 years of living there, I found that the vast majority of people you meet within SLC are no longer mormon. Most said they didn't bother going through the process of having their names removed from the mormon church, so they are still counted. As far as dating, I got the feeling that they were so sexually active due to feeling like they had missed out and were making up for lost time. As they all grew up mormon, got married right out of high school and had a bunch of kids. It was strange, but at the same time, really boosts your confidence since you feel so wanted. Unlike here where they don't even look at you. If SLC had a decent night life, I probably would have tolerated the low paying jobs and the mormon run government. But I couldn't handle the lousy night life on top of all the other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver