Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM

75 posts, read 303,778 times

Advertisements

The mountains sold me when I was out there last week. I will not miss Michigan when we move out there mainly because its sunnier out in Denver along with the abudance of outdoor activites (excluding the miles of beach of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
I have really enjoyed reading the positive views from those who have visited our wonderful city. I was born and raised in the Denver area. I've visited many places and tried to convince myself to live somewhere else to experience a different lifestyle, but why? I very much enjoy seeing what other cities have to offer, but for me, Denver is it. I've never felt the need to move and, moreover, never felt the urge to want to move. I hope to spend the rest of my life right here.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,877 times
Default looking to exit MI

finnicky7, i echo your sentiments. i've been reading tons of posts over the past weeks. although we're in the early stages of thinking this through, my husband & i are beyond tired of life in southeastern MI. (also he works in civil engineering and eventually the domino effect of the dire straits here are catching up to his field). yes there are great things about MI summers, but everyone here lives for june, july & august. our kids are bouncing off the walls nov thru practically april. we visited denver once years ago, were drawn to the area & have thought about it ever since. we'd be leaving all friends & family behind, but better schools, more activities & better quality of life for our 3 kids is taking precedence quickly.
i'll be seeking advice via this forum over the coming months...!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM

19 posts, read 66,330 times
A family member and I just returned from a trip to Denver and we were both really disappointed. I was unimpressed by the Denver scenery (the Red Rocks made me laugh out loud – they were barely even copper and don’t come anywhere near to the truly red AZ/Sedona or Utah parks); the landscape seemed rather dry and barren. Maybe if you’re from a smaller state Denver would look good, but for someone from a larger state, like CA, I didn’t find much to like about Denver. Denver is definitely not a tourist-friendly town and didn’t seem to be a friendly town in general. We encountered really surly people from the start to the end of the trip, and were also surprised by the amount of Latino immigrants and African Americans living in the area. We had expected a more backwards, western, slower pace in Denver – so, it was nice to go and see we were wrong, but it’s definitely not a place we’d visit again. The pace was actually quite hectic and we were hoping for a relaxing vacation. There did seem to be an abundance of jobs available – the amount of businesses and industries in the area was quite impressive.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM

62 posts, read 316,163 times
I think it can also matter who shows you around. Every time one of my friends come down they always fall in love with it here because I've been here long enough to show them the good sides

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Some of my favorite stereotypes and misconceptions of the area from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintty View Post
and were also surprised by the amount of Latino immigrants and African Americans living in the area. We had expected a more backwards, western, slower pace in Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
Denver was nothing more than a hole in the ground in the middle of nowhere AND where undoubtedly the locals would look like they would had been perfectly cast for the movie "DELIVERANCE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAEconomy View Post
What I didn't realize was how conservative parts of CO are. Expansive soils make basements uncommon.
While the expansive soils are a problem, basements are common. Do a search on the topic to see how basements are engineered here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboi81 View Post
I also didn't realize that the mountains were so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
HI there, well when I thought of Denver, I thought there would be nothing to do, and that it was just a big city full of people and no culture. I also wasn't expecting it to be so clean. I figured it would be sorta dingy (don't know why) but I just had that feeling. well, I was wrong.
Daniel
I'm glad all these people were pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboi81 View Post
Our initial plans are to rent once we get to Denver so we can get settled and get more acquainted with the city before making a decision to purchase a house. What areas of the city / metro can we find an affordable townhome to rent 800 - 1000 range max?
Just about anywhere except the priciest neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
Like you can't make all clients happy, you can't make all visitors like Denver. I am not saying this in a bad way at all (I had family members who did not like it here and moved). Denver is not for everyone, not green all year, and will not "add up" to what everyone wants. It has its pluses and it has minuses.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
Yeah generally its the attitude you come to town with.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Yeah generally its the attitude you come to town with.
And that effect works in many ways. This thread was started by someone who was pleasantly surprised by Denver. The expectations were low, and Denver surpassed them. Then there are others, who expect much more, and are disappointed. There are all sorts of reactions, for all kinds of reasons. It's great to be able to hear the differing reactions and impressions on this single thread.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintty View Post
Maybe if you’re from a smaller state Denver would look good, but for someone from a larger state, like CA, I didn’t find much to like about Denver.
As a californian moving to denver, I would disagree. Denver has all the amenities of CA while having a more relaxed pace. The proximity to wilderness is nice as well. Not true wilderness, but we're hopefully moving down near the pinery in Parker and there were rabbits running around the neighborhood and deer grazing near the elementary school. Much different than suburban orange county(though we used to have squirrels and frogs and such.. they've been eradicated as "pests" or just lost any potential habitats). Drive 10minutes to Best Buy for a movie, go over to Coldstone for some ice cream, drive home and see some wildlife milling around outside. Sounds great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver