Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see this article from Men's Health?
Metrogrades: The Drunkest Cities - MSN Health & Fitness - Addiction|Quit Smoking

We actually ranked ahead of Anchorage for drinking. I didn't think that was possible. We also managed to take 4th in the most Fit city as well The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness

I think it's because we like to go be active: ski, hike, bike, run, snowshoe, rock climb, etc and then have drinks with our friends when we finish. ;-) Maybe we can manage to get ranked #1 in both next year... we have to dethrone our southern city for most fit though. That could be difficult with the number of military personnel down there that are in shape though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Colo. Springs lol, that's just because of all the military there. Really, I think the reason we are more fit is because of our atmosphere. You don't see people in the south out running because it's FREAKING HOT!! And then there's that omg so yummy southern food. Not so much of a surprise to see all the coastal cities as healthy, IMHO the coasts are usually going to hold more progressive people.

The drinking one, I don't know. Maybe because for those of us who aren't into hiking, biking, fishing, etc. are bored here and so drink. hahahha

Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
I don't know about the other factors, but I'd have to give Men's Fitness Magazine an "F" on their climate grades. I'm here in Albuquerque, which has a "D+" for climate, while hot, humid places in the southeast (e.g. Memphis gets a "B!") are considered to have better climate? Certainly, people have differing ideas as to what a "good climate" is, but...gee...I've lived in the Deep South as a runner and bicyclist, and the climate of Albuquerque is hands down more conducive to many things...including going outdoors for fun and fitness.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I don't know about the other factors, but I'd have to give Men's Fitness Magazine an "F" on their climate grades. I'm here in Albuquerque, which has a "D+" for climate, while hot, humid places in the southeast (e.g. Memphis gets a "B!") are considered to have better climate? Certainly, people have differing ideas as to what a "good climate" is, but...gee...I've lived in the Deep South as a runner and bicyclist, and the climate of Albuquerque is hands down more conducive to many things...including going outdoors for fun and fitness.
Any guide that gives Albuquerque a "D+" for climate should be exposed as nothing more than the toilet literature it is. Albuquerque quite possibly has the best climate of any city of 500k or more in the entire United States.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
Metrogrades: The Drunkest Cities - MSN Health & Fitness - Addiction|Quit Smoking

We actually ranked ahead of Anchorage for drinking. I didn't think that was possible. We also managed to take 4th in the most Fit city as well The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness

I think it's because we like to go be active: ski, hike, bike, run, snowshoe, rock climb, etc and then have drinks with our friends when we finish. ;-) Maybe we can manage to get ranked #1 in both next year... we have to dethrone our southern city for most fit though. That could be difficult with the number of military personnel down there that are in shape though.
You should send this article to jjacobeclark or whatever his name is. We had a fun little debate a few months ago about whether Denver or Milwaukee could outdrink the other.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
These fail the smell test for me. I think Denver is one of the most fit cities just with my eyeballs, looking around I see less huge people there then most others. Drinking wise, no way...Portland is ranked in the low 70's on the list and pretty much every restaurant has their own microbrewery or sells craft beers. To get your happy hour food you pretty much have to buy a pint (and most places are packed, I know because I love going). Maybe less relatively on the driving stats because you can take the bus everywhere.

I can't see how hot and humid is better climate, just to lock my motel and get to the car in the South East I was panting and sweaty....working out in that I would probably die! Dry and nice the way to go...Denver and the South West get my vote.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Well guys like mrgood pointed out, good climate is all in the eyes of the beholder. Therefore, Vegas is not "correct" in thinking the climate in Albq. is perfect, nor am I correct in thinking Miami is perfect climate-wise. It's all our perception. No way would I try to argue that one.

Fitness, yeah, def. more buffs here than elsewhere. And drinking? Yep, lots of drinking here.

The real question is how the study was conducted. That's what'll shed more light on it.

I can't believe DenverAztec isn't here throwing numbers at me. lol

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Have you lived there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Any guide that gives Albuquerque a "D+" for climate should be exposed as nothing more than the toilet literature it is. Albuquerque quite possibly has the best climate of any city of 500k or more in the entire United States.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Drinking wise, no way...Portland is ranked in the low 70's on the list and pretty much every restaurant has their own microbrewery or sells craft beers. To get your happy hour food you pretty much have to buy a pint (and most places are packed, I know because I love going). Maybe less relatively on the driving stats because you can take the bus everywhere.
But they're gonna get the buck outta your pocket one way or the other;

Well according to this PDF (http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_industry/digests/BeerReport.pdf - broken link) that shows current beer taxes, only Wyoming, Missouri, and Wisconsin have less-Communistic State Tax rates on the ever popular suds.

So it looks to me like the BEST place to drink would be Wyoming. If you want to be punished monetarily for your sins, drink in Utah, Washington, the Sunbelt states, Hawai'i, Alaska, New Mexico, the Corn States, Oklahoma, the upper New England states...

Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post

We also managed to take 4th in the most Fit city as well The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness
If you watch this, you will know why it makes sense:

YouTube - The Governator uses Jim Beam and pumps iron

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: