Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM

11,858 posts, read 34,559,796 times

Advertisements

True, location always plays a role in housing prices. Cherry Creek High pulls from toney Greenwood Village and more upscale Denver neighborhoods around the CC Res. - a $750,000 house in GV is $479,000 in Highlands Ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM

346 posts, read 1,569,891 times
According to this site, Cherry Creek isn't the "best".

Colorado State Districts - CO School District Rankings

But do we really care? As I've mentioned many times on this forum, there is much more to a school than test scores,which unfortunately seems to be the only indicator of a so-called great school. I'm sure Cherry Creek High has plenty to offer, but I personally did everything in my power to find a house that wasn't in that area. Why? I didn't want my kids to get lost in the shuffle of an affluent, snobby, overly-competitive environment of nearly 4,000 students.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:27 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,097,116 times
I guess I can speak from "both sides of the fence".

My oldest son went to Cherry Creek Schools ( I was a school bus driver for CCS at that time. It had one of the first IB programs. He did great and, I loved it too.

My youngest son, graduated from High School in Canon City. Totally 2 different school systems...from Large to very small.

I did not find Cherry Creek to be snobby...just Lots to offer. I didn't feel like Canon City was too small or "behind" in any way at all. Nor do either of my sons.!!JFI!!

I liked them both and I think they Both turned out some very fine young men!!!

My oldest is a professor in Rhode Island...my youngest (on leave right now) is a Cryptologist in Hawaii.

BOTH want to be in Colorado eventually!!

I say,....find the neighborhood you like and can afford,.then.....Let Your Children Show You What They've Got!! That's what I did and I wouldn't trade either experience!! Plus I like my neighbors!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,819,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
this is interesting. You just mentioned two other Denver areas that are rumored to contain wealthy people. Although housing prices do differ. I think that might be because Cherry Creek is very central, unlike Highlands Ranch or Parker.
well, i saw some cherry creek areas and i saw highlands ranch and parker areas and cherry creek oozes wealth, HR seems more middle to upper middle class(and houses in low 200s are great for where they are), and Parker was a bit of everything.. probably find some nice million dollar homes in the pinery, but you could goto the cottonwood area in northern parker and get a nice home under 200k with a huge lot and low property taxes. not bad and not necessarily just differences in central location.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,167,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastpete View Post
My husband's job would be in Aurora so we'd like to settle close to there. I will check out the link you gave MileHi. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Cherry Creek school district is considered one of the best in the metro area - what specifically make a school good is personal to you - and the kids.

What is important to you in a school? What interests do your kids have?
Of course, schools are an important consideration when relocatin.

If you will be working in the Aurora area, Cherry Creek SD would indeed be a good choice for you. 2beindenver is correct that what makes a good school is individual. If your kids are big sports fans - Cherry Creek. If they would like to actually play sports, perhaps a smaller school would be better. And so on. There are pros and cons to big and small schools. You probably know all these things already.

I have a strong interest in schools, and I don't put much stock in these lists and rankings. Test scores do not tell you anything about how well an individual student will do at a school. They just tell you how well the school's students do in the aggregate, and they are highly correlated with parental income. They also tell you nothing about the quality of teaching. Students with affluent parents will often do well no matter what teaching methods are used.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,529 times
Thanks to everyone for replying. You've given me lots of food for thought. I agree with a lot of you've said. My kids are currently attending a bigger school (1700) and I don't think the size of CCSD would be a problem. I have heard some good things about the Douglas County schools and also looked at some homes in that region. I agree that the homes look more affordable for the square footage. With gas prices, I'm thinking we will try to settle somewhere close to my husband's work (if he actually receives an offer!) and hopefully close to school and shopping areas. I want my kids to visit a couple different high schools and see what they think. We'll see....

Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 22,040 times
Quote:
We may be relocating there in about a month or so and school will be starting very quickly so we need to decide which school district to settle in. My kids are 16, 15 and 11 so we will only be looking for middle schools and high schools. Are there other high schools that are good?
Hi, I just read through this thread because it looks like my husbands company will be transferring us to Denver as well. I have been researching all the high schools and plan to have our daughter visit a few of them as soon as we can set up a time to fly there and check things out. Cherry Creek is high on our list, but I do have some concerns so I was curious to see if you did end up relocating and if so which schools you chose. If you did make the move I would love to hear how the kids are doing in school and what you like or dislike about the schools you chose. Anything you care to share would be much appreciated!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 PM

220 posts, read 750,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
True, location always plays a role in housing prices. Cherry Creek High pulls from toney Greenwood Village and more upscale Denver neighborhoods around the CC Res. - a $750,000 house in GV is $479,000 in Highlands Ranch.
Cherry CreeK High School also get the kids from Glendal, Walnut Hills, and many other not so toney neighborhoods.

Quote:
My kids are currently attending a bigger school (1700) and I don't think the size of CCSD would be a problem.
Cherry Creek High School has more than 3,500 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver