Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM

217 posts, read 961,150 times

Advertisements

To Readers- I have been looking into possible cities to move to. And a few people have suggested Denver. Although, I do have family there and have visited there before (Castle Rock),what is it like living there. Anyone move from the east coast and been in Denver for a bit? Is it good for 20's/single/real estate/finance careers? Any place but $NYC$, been looking into DC, Boston, Tampa and Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 04:21 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
You will find Denver cheaper than DC and Boston for sure, and probably Tampa too. Denver may be more expensive than Austin. We moved to Colorado Springs (just 50-60 miles south of Denver on I-25) from the DC area and we love it here. Denver is a bit more expensive than Colorado Springs. Both areas are doing well, with very low un-employment, but real estate is moving a bit slowly now, as it is in many places. You can read all the reasons why we moved here by going to:
//www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-springs.html

I think you'll do well here, it's a really great place to be.

s/Mike from back east

Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 AM

I think Denver warrants a closer look. But how is it for singles- is it more family orientated in city of Denver? When I was there it seemed quite suburban. I have family in Castle Rock, they rave about Colorado. Does the altitude have any affect after a while, I remember I was doing a lot of water there. Are there lakes for boating and water sports? There are so many good places I am considering, this would be a big move though. I read your "How we chose Colo Springs, interesting and true. What is the way you use to narrow it down, tried to find your example.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 27,675 times
I live in Monument. Just 20 min. from Castle Rock and Colorado Springs. There are different considerations for living in different towns depending on your age, family situation, interests, and how far you are willing to travel. Be happy to answer any questions.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
Gmagg,

I suggest you come and visit Denver again. Although we are afflicted with miles of suburban sprawl, we actually do have the nation's 10th largest downtown area (according to the visitor's bureau, anyway), as well as dozens of vibrant city center neighborhoods. While we're not NYC, Boston, or D.C., I think you'd be surprised at the vibrancy of Denver's city center.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:35 AM

40 posts, read 204,064 times
I agree with tfox, cenral Denver/downtown is the area that you will likely want to look to. Specifically, LODO, Capitol Hill, Uptown and Platte/Confluence Park are neighborhoods that you may want to look into. When you start venturing away from central Denver, the city does have somewhat of a suburban feel to it but the downtown area has a vibrant, eclectic vibe and is becoming more so all the time (it is not as urban as say NYC but I'm from Chicago and love to hang out downtown to capture that big city feel). My husband and I currently live in Arvada but are considering moving into the city because we like the urban feel of downtown Denver. You should be able to find a job in your field pretty easily.

The altitude in Colorado was not nearly as much of an issue as the dry air... it took a couple weeks to get used to the low humidity. I go through alot more lotion here, but beleive me the low humidity makes the climate bareable- the summers here are perfect! Good luck, you should plan a trip to see if this is a place you'd like to live!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for all your inputs, I definitely will be visiting Denver. It is high on my list as I narrow my possibilities down. The only thing is, I wonder how much its going to cost to have my stuff shipped from NY should I chose to move here. The quality of life must be real good here. PS, does anyone know if there are lakes for boating and water sports?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:10 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
Thanks for all your inputs, I definitely will be visiting Denver. It is high on my list as I narrow my possibilities down. The only thing is, I wonder how much its going to cost to have my stuff shipped from NY should I chose to move here. The quality of life must be real good here. PS, does anyone know if there are lakes for boating and water sports?
I'm not a water sports person, so I don't know which reservoirs allow motorized boating versus others. A few other posters may be able to chime in on that. Frankly we don't have a lot of water here in this very arid climate of ours.

In the Denver area, the largest body of water is probably Chatfield Reservoir near Highlands Ranch. Cherry Creek Reservior in southeast Denver/Aurora is also fairly large. There's also Aurora Reservoir southeast of Aurora. Up north there's Carter Lake (near Loveland) and Horsetooth Res (near Fort Collins). Down south you have Pueblo Res (near Pueblo). In the mountains there's Grand Lake and Lake Dillon (strictly summertime use on those). Of course there's lots of smaller lakes and ponds, but those are the main ones. As I said, if you're really into water you'd probably find cities in the midwest or coasts as having more water -- we're a very dry state.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 AM

14 posts, read 175,906 times
Denver has consistently ranked as the #1 city for singles. The LoDo area of downtown can get crazy at night -- with so many people and great vibrancy. Many cities can't say the same about their downtowns, and they usually "close down" after 5pm. Many neighborhoods in the city are very urban-oriented. Most out-of-towners are surprised on how urban things are in the core.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Mile High Denver member- I have heard that Denver was good for singles in some magazine. I really like the condos that I saw in Downtown, does it get that crazy there in terms of drunkeness or crime issues. I have family there but down in Castle Rock, very nice place, but more for families. The only thing that plagues me now is sacrificing the water- beach, lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver