Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,578 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I just recently moved to Denver, CO. We are moving to a new apartment complex soon and we can't seem to find a safe and affordable place to live. I work at the DTC and he works at Invesco Field.

I understand that with apartment living you have to sacrifice something (managements customer service, safety, travel time to work, etc), but is there a certain area around Denver that is safer, yet still affordable (rent less than $1100/mth) than other places, where the Management isn't looking to nickel and dime you? We are in the Lowry area now and can't seem to find anything. We really want safe, low crime!

We're looking at Cherry Creek, Highlands Ranch, Englewood...

Does anyone have any great recommendations for a specific Apartment Complex in those areas.. or anything to steer clear from?

Last edited by lzbcb; 08-11-2008 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I think it is a no-brainer. Focus your search along the Lincoln/Union Station line of the Light Rail. I'm sure something could easily be found in your price range.

I'm sure you could find something near Washington Park maybe (price), DU, or I-25/Hampden. All "safe".

Why are you so worried about crime? Are you a victim often?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,578 times
actually no! (knock on wood) but I've just heard so much about it... cars being broken into, the most common.

I just am scared of moving into a place and signing a year lease, and then finding out that it's not safe.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Define safe.

Unless you want to build a compound in the desert, surround it with armed guards and razor wire you are going to be taking some risks no matter where you live.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 31,748 times
Steveindenver: but you would probably say there is a distinct difference in east colfax and highlands ranch? true? certain levels of activity are expected but the violence factor gets a bit on the obnoxious side, eh?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 31,748 times
lzbcb: I just left the denver area and was living in the belmar development in lakewood. Before anyone else starts on Lakewood, Belmar and the Immediate surrounding area is a nice mixed urban development with apartments for rent. If you don't want to live in Belmar (alameda and wadsworth) there are a few apartment developments next door. Plus side: lots of retail and grocery shopping (whole foods, king soopers, plus lots of restaurants and a movie theater, bowling alley (lucky strike) and the like. Quick access to 6th ave and fairly decent bus service. My spouse is disabled and in an electric wheelchair and we never had any problems the entire time we lived there (unlike some instances in other cities). Good Luck. Check out belmarcolorado.com for an overview of their part of the development. I know its not in the immediate area of your scope, but it may work for you.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
The places I recommended are considered safe. You'd be fine in any of the areas I mentioned.

As silverthunder mentioned, Lakewood is fine too, a little more off the path between your jobs, however. I'm not sure where the negativity about Lakewood comes from, but I find it quite nice.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 PM

215 posts, read 771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think it is a no-brainer. Focus your search along the Lincoln/Union Station line of the Light Rail. I'm sure something could easily be found in your price range.

I'm sure you could find something near Washington Park maybe (price), DU, or I-25/Hampden. All "safe".

Why are you so worried about crime? Are you a victim often?
I'll look into this area myself. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM

220 posts, read 748,505 times
In your price range I would consider something along the I-225 Corridor. Around Nine Mile Park-n-Ride, or West of J.F Kennedy Munciple Golf Course. Also, Greenwood Village, around Dayton Street and Caley Avenue.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I like Deerfield Apartment Homes in Denver's Indian Creek neighborhood. It's quiet and more or less like a 'forgotten denver neighborhood' because nobody ever knows where it is when I mention I live here. It has decent bus service and isn't too far from the Nine Mile station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver