Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius88 View Post
In short, it is probably a good thing that you have a little concern about winter driving and you can learn it pretty quickly. I find it more about avoiding a few folks who seem to think an SUV means you can drive however you want on ice. (Ever notice ho many SUV's you see in a ditch in the winter while regular cars are driving right along?) I guess what I am saying is that winter driving is a skill you learn, not a talent you are born with. After one winter I am wiling to bet you will be more worried about the other people on the road than your own winter driving abilities. Good luck to you.
I agree completely, especially with the bolded part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You're right, I just don't like generalizations so that's why I stepped in. I'm sure there are people in each of those four demographic groups that drive just fine in the snow/ice.
no, they don'tl, especially the Texans

Old 09-01-2008, 01:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
LOL, okay, not one Texan knows how to drive in snow or ice.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM

23 posts, read 62,202 times
Ok, it's not like living on Svalbard or anything. It's pretty nice from April to November, and being a person with lots of family in New England and Eastern Canada, it's NOTHING.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:56 PM

23 posts, read 62,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post

Taken in Houston, Texas in 1996
Think before you speak

Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodmum View Post

Think before you speak
Didn't Houston, Corpus Christi and Brownsville get hit with a pretty big Christmas snowstorm a few years ago too?

Don't Dallas and El Paso get a storm or two a year, and doesn't Amarillo get snow semi-regularly in winter as well?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Anyone worried about driving in snow, 2 things.

1. Go to the bridgestone winter driving school in steamboat springs. In one day, you'll learn everything you need to know about driving on snow and ice and it's a fun day too.
2. I've done back to back comparisons of tires on ice and snow for tire manufacturers and I can tell you the difference is night and day. All season tires don't cut it, you need a decent snow tire(Nokian or Bridgestone). 4x4, traction control, all wheel drive, Vehicle dynamic control, all that is great, but it can only compensate so much for crappy tires.

Denver has good and bad winters depending on the year. One thing I find different is that because Denver is up high, the sun is warm but the air is cool. The sun shines most days at some point and if the suns out it's pleasant. I've worn t-shirts when it's 30 degrees out in Denver. Also most winters Denver weather goes in cycles. It snows a little, then it melts and the temperature is back up in the 40's or 50's. And sometimes you get big snows in March when the winds reverse and there can be some nasty temperature inversions but overall Denver in the winter is bearable and isn't the ice pit the Weather Channel makes it out to be.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM

140 posts, read 429,466 times
true that, can't wait to be there again^^

Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodmum View Post

Think before you speak
Doesnt change the fact that Texans dont know how to drive. Big deal, it got cold 12 years ago.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
Default cold weather

You shouldn't have any trouble with walking/driving as long as you take it slow and give yourself plenty of time and room behind other cars. I went to a Bronco palyoff game in the middle of January and was actually sweating! and the sun was shining VERY brightly.
the weather here is actually very beautiful and the snow fall is awesome! Trust me, you'll get used to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver