Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 AM

204 posts, read 579,161 times

Advertisements

my family may be relocating from Atlanta to Denver. We are interested in green building and sustainable neighborhoods. We would also like to be close to the city. My husband would be working near DIA. Lowry and Stapleton look desirable. How are these areas? Are they safe for young children and a good place to raise a family? We are in the $500K+ range for a home and it looks like you can get something really nice there. All comments appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 AM

119 posts, read 469,408 times
I know more about Stapleton and it does seem to fit what you are looking for. There are beautiful, historical looking, houses in Stapleton that are new. I read a few things about their new development being sustainable. Check out their website, they have a lot of information. The backyards are pretty small in Stapleton but there are a ton of parks. The neighborhood around Stapleton isn't great but I don't know how much that bothers people that live in Stapleton. You'll probably have to live with new construction depending on where you would move in the development. It looks like a great area, my wife wants to live there some day.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 AM

275 posts, read 1,471,973 times
Interesting article with lots of photos of some developments (including Stapleton) in the Denver area. Lowry should be in a subsequent article.

Next American City » Daily Report » Denver: America’s Great Urban Canvas, Part I

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Stapleton has some tacky radio commercials about it being a "sustainable community", if that helps.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
What the heck does "sustainable community" mean anyway? Sounds like a buzzword straight out of a developer trade magazine.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What the heck does "sustainable community" mean anyway? Sounds like a buzzword straight out of a developer trade magazine.
I think it means something to the effect of, "You never have to leave,".

They've built offices, shops, parks (I'm quoting the commercial from memory here), the 20,000 new trees aren't that big yet, but they are getting there.

I'm not too fond of Stapleton, or Lowry for that matter. It's the opposite of sprawl, but equally as fake.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think it means something to the effect of, "You never have to leave,".

They've built offices, shops, parks (I'm quoting the commercial from memory here), the 20,000 new trees aren't that big yet, but they are getting there.

I'm not too fond of Stapleton, or Lowry for that matter. It's the opposite of sprawl, but equally as fake.
OK. They've been trying that idea forever. Ever heard of "The City" in Orange, CA from I think the 1970's? It was supposed to be a self contained development with office buildings, shopping, and housing. You'd never need to leave. Unless of course your job wasn't in one of the office buildings.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
OK. They've been trying that idea forever. Ever heard of "The City" in Orange, CA from I think the 1970's? It was supposed to be a self contained development with office buildings, shopping, and housing. You'd never need to leave. Unless of course your job wasn't in one of the office buildings.
LOL! I know. As if, by living in Stapleton, you will magically get a job in Stapleton and only want to shop in Stapleton and only want to play at the parks in Stapleton and only want to go to one of the free concerts in Stapleton.

Yes, I've heard of "The City" in Orange. The City Drive, Bristol/La Veta area, right? Orange Crush? My Grandpa lived near there.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,484,443 times
Quote:
It means that the builders pay more attention during the building process to increase energy effeciency and lessen environmental impact. Things like water conservation, recycled building materials, more insulation, better duct design etc.

Every house, condo and apartment in Stapleton is Energy Star certified:

Benefits for Homeowners : ENERGY STAR

Quote:
The largest urban infill project in the nation (Stapleton) whereby new houses are built to a high standard in an environment of diversity that includes lots of open space, parks, great schools, food and shopping within walking or biking distance -- and again in the city itself. I will agree that it is the opposite of sprawl in that it is intelligent -- but I don't understand the fake part.

What would you rather they had done with the old airport site?

Last edited by steveindenver; 08-11-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, I've heard of "The City" in Orange. The City Drive, Bristol/La Veta area, right? Orange Crush? My Grandpa lived near there.
Yep that's the place. Its called The Block now since they built an open air mall. Think Irvine Spectrum but with more junior vatos. The street out front is still called The City Drive for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver