Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 12,122 times

Advertisements

I might be able to help a little. I am an artist and even though I don't live right in the city right now, I work downtown so I am there everyday and have lived in the city in the past as well as visited other big cities. The cost of living in Denver is of course less than CA and NYC and DC. Depending on what you do as a profession, job market here is a little tight. You will miss the ocean. The arts volume here is decent. I would say if the economy was stronger, the volume of arts would be much more. But not comparable to NYC or SF. Meaning fine art, theatre, etc. but there is a huge string of galleries just on the southend of the city that does the First Friday art walks every month, and hundreds of people attend. There is no shortage of theatre. There are tons of local bands that play all over. I only know of 3 jazz/blues clubs downtown, but there are local bands that are jazz/blues that play in other venues. There are about 1-2 festivals or fairs or conventions monthly during the warm months, there are several during the Summer.

Denver public schools need help. You actually have to research schools in order to find one that is "great".

You will probably not be able to live car-free here, unless you live near a lightrail or bus stop and even then I would say that you would still be driving quite a bit. Denver is a bit behind in the public transportation area.

People here like diversity and originality and I must say they are nicer than many other parts of the US. Mixed race here is not a problem to my knowledge.

The winters are dry and cold, not humid. The sun shines almost every single day which is a huge plus. Usually it will snow and be cold and later on in the day or the next day it will literally have melted and be 20 degrees warmer and you will find yourself dressing for winter in the morning, but by afternoon stripping off all your outerwear. It will be snowing in the mountains, be 85 degrees in Denver, and there will be thunderstorms and tornadoes just off to the east. Colorado weather is one of the craziest and unpredictable in the nation. No humidity, as a matter of fact, you will probably find you want a humidifier. The past couple of weeks I have had the AC on during the day, and the heat on during the night! But if you can't hack snow, don't move here, it can get ugly especially in the early Spring.

If you want a house in the city, you will pay alot for it. You might not be able to find one right in the middle of the city, but on the outskirts that border the city that surround the parks and schools/colleges that is still considered Metro Denver. There are houses there that are older and have wood floors and kind of a cottage feel and are so cute. You will find non-chain restaurants here. But not like NYC or SF.

Parks are everywhere, no shortage there. LOTS of dogwalkers and bicycle and scooter riders. LOTS of smart people, people who love to learn about everything, you can have intellectual (or just interesting) conversations with. If you love the mountains they are a great getaway/escape and beautiful. Colorado is a super place for people who like a little bit of everything, the big thing missing is the ocean. From what you wrote, the biggest problem you might have is the convenience of walking / pub. transportation everywhere from your house (unless you live in a condo right in the middle of the city). And you will have to research the public schools for quality. Lots of Denver people will say they are city people but they are nature people as well. There is so much here. The best thing you can do is plan a visit and see what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Quote:
And now that I think of it...St. Louis might actually be your best bet. The weather is much more mild than Denver's (save the occasional hot spell in the summer) and it's much more culturally and historically rich. Diversity is also a big selling point. And while you don't have the mountains, you do have plenty of outdoorsy opportunities in the Ozarks and wine country just south of town. It's more affordable than Denver and there are plenty of safe, friendly, and urban communities. Like Denver, the urban public school are terrible.
Have you actually been to St. Louis ... ever?

It is a pit, a gutted city in decline that defines exurban sprawl and white flight. There are blocks and blocks of abandonded and now knocked down homes, crime is through the roof (they don't even bother to report on many of the nightly shootings anymore in the local news) and the recent attempt to convert space into trendy lofts has now fallen flat on its face.

The weather is terrible. 120 heat index days in the summer, still over 100 at night sometimes with humidity so high you sweat just standing there, below 0 in the winter with snow AND ice storms.

St. Louis has two weeks of good weather every year, an airport that has direct flights to fewer places by the month, a city that is crime riddled and abandonded, sprawl that is working hard to compare with L.A. and enough fat people that you could not swing a cat without hitting a dozen.

It does have a nice free zoo though.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 12,122 times
Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliesEverywhere View Post
Mixed race here is not a problem to my knowledge.
How embarrassing! I should have said "Being of mixed race here is not an issue to my knowledge as Denver is very diverse and I rarely hear of racism". I don't want that to be interpreted the wrong way!!!!
I obviously did not read my post thoroughly before I posted!!! Apologies!!!!!

Last edited by LilliesEverywhere; 10-09-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliesEverywhere View Post
How embarrassing! I should have said "Being of mixed race here is not an issue to my knowledge as Denver is very diverse and I rarely hear of racism". I don't want that to be interpreted the wrong way!!!!
I obviously did not read my post thoroughly before I posted!!! Apologies!!!!!
No worries Lillies, thanks for your post. It was VERY helpful for me. In the end, I will have to decide what I am willing to compromise on. I know there are NO cities like NYC (not even SF) when it comes to the arts, food, nightlife, etc. But for me, NYC also has a lot of negatives that make it a place that I don't want to live right now (however when my wife and I are empty nesters, this will likely change).

I haven't seen any deal breakers about Denver so I think I'm at a point where it makes most sense to visit for a bit and see what I think.

So does everyone in Denver own a snow blower?

Oh, and thanks for the save on St Louis steveindenver!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
So does everyone in Denver own a snow blower?
Nope, just a shovel I found in the dumpster at work.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
We have four shovels, one for each of us. It works for us. The lots here are not large, and the sun melts the snow pretty fast, esp. with a south facing driveway.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We have four shovels, one for each of us. It works for us. The lots here are not large, and the sun melts the snow pretty fast, esp. with a south facing driveway.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to look for a house with a south-facing driveway

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to look for a house with a south-facing driveway
It cuts down on energy costs in the winter too if you have a big window there! Though, if your insulation sucks, like mine did, it can raise them in the summer :-p

Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It cuts down on energy costs in the winter too if you have a big window there! Though, if your insulation sucks, like mine did, it can raise them in the summer :-p

I can imagine insulation is crucial in a place like Denver (relative to Nor Cal, at least). Since we prefer old homes, it is something we have to be particularly aware of.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Expect to pay through the nose with older Denver homes.

I can sight numerous examples of homes I've owned or know of that well into the later half of this century simply had zero insulation and could cost upwards of 400 a month in the winter to heat.

Compare this with a well built modern home that can heat that same space for 50 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver