Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times

Advertisements

"Diversity" is a broad word.

When you have diversity in a neighborhood in America. Lots of the minorities act exremely peaceful and cool. It is the ones who are into the whole gangsta rap, hip-hop, glorifying violence mindset that cause the problems. It is mostly American born people who are into this too, so it IS an American thing. The crime you hate is not coming from overseas, it is being created right here by Americans and for Americans.

There are a lot of inner city neighborhoods that are overtaken by this culture and have become very violent, it's true. These people need to wake up and realize this way of life is getting them nowhere and it's ignorant.

But there are also a lot of Chinese, Middle-Eastern, Somali, Italian, etc. neighborhoods that are totally peaceful and awesome.

You can't just have an Us and Them attitude. You have to look at the specific groups of people in a more intelligent way than simply saying "Diversity is bad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm not jumping into this debate, but the statement above is incorrect. "Colorado"--as the noun or adjective is used to describe the state-- means "red" or "ruddy" in Spanish--not "colored." As in red or green chile--"chile colorado" or "chile verde."
You're wrong. Colorar means to color in Spanish, colorado means colored.

Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Translation and Web Page Translation (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt - broken link)

Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You're wrong. Colorar means to color in Spanish, colorado means colored.

Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Translation and Web Page Translation (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt - broken link)
No, you are wrong. Dead wrong. Look up the word in a real Spanish dictionary. It means "reddish." Babelfish is a JOKE of a translator.

The state is named after the Colorado River, which is called "colorado" because the river goes through hundreds of miles of red rock country, giving the muddy water a kind of reddish colored tint.

While you're at it, look up the word "sophomoric" (in an English dictionary).

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
the whole, "he's different than me so I'm not going to like him or even give him a chance" attitude. Or "he and his culture are going to infringe on my way of life and he will force his culture upon me and my family". This occurs on both ends and is utterly ridiculous.
How is that ridiculous? People have opinions about moral and legal issues. That's just a way of life. And they can be vastly different and very much influenced by culture. How is that idea ridiculous? It's not. It Great Britain, 40% of young Islamic immigrants want Sharia law enacted in the country. You think that's a healful thing for Britain? It's completely in anathema to every cultural element that has existed in the UK for centuries.

Quote:
So basically, using your logic, I should get along and be "at peace" with everyone that shares a similar background as myself.
No, that's not exactly logical, is it? By my logic, you should get along BETTER with those who have a similar background and similar beliefs. The reasons why this is the case should be pretty obvious: we do best with those with whom we share common ground.

Quote:
There are suburbs of major cities that have very low crime rates, and are diverse. Try Ramapo, NY, Bayonne, NJ, Irvine, CA, Diamond Bar, CA, Glendale, CA and the list goes on. Diamond Bar is a near-perfect example. All the cities listed here (with the exception of Bayonne, which is average) also have high academic achievement.
And all these cities you mention as having high academic achievement / low crime have....high white and Asian populations with little else, for whatever reason. That's the exception I mentioned. Is that diverse? It depends on who you ask. Well, with the exception of Ramapo, which is 73% one race and no more than 8% of another.

Quote:
I wasn't aware that we, as a society, are in a race to be the most successful, and if we are, I'm not lining up to race.
Think about that for a minute. Every single night the economy is front and center in the news. We measure growth relative to what other nations have and what our nation has had in the past. We're always in a race to improve ourselves. Results to the contrary produce what we have today: people losing homes, losing jobs, and having their lives wrecked. There's a point where being obscessed with success is unhealthy, but our nation hasn't hit it. We need only compare the massively poor performance in our schools relative to those in Germany, Hungary, South Korea, Japan, the UK, Singapore, China, etc.... to get that point across.

Quote:
I would say the vast majority of new immigrants (legal or illegal) come to the US to better their lives, because they don't have the opportunities, or resources to become educated, or literate in their home countries'. I can't blame anybody for seeking a better life.
That doesn't mean the US should accept the entire third world all at once into its borders. It's not in the general interest of our nation or its citizens. Killing the golden goose is not on the menu of a wise nation. 15% of Mexico's labor force is in the US--most of it illegally. Money sent out of the US economy and back to Mexico is a massive crutch used to prop up a corrupt Mexican government which has no reason to make things better for its citizens. It's also a massive outflow of money from the US economy.

Quote:
Why do we need to draw a line? It is a fine line anyway. Some people see Hispanic people, or hear people speaking Spanish and automatically point the "illegal" finger. I think some would be surprised at just how many aren't illegal.
Which would completely end if we made things a whole lot harder on illegal immigrants, who by default put themselves and their offspring off on a bad foot and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Or if legal immigration were limited to a degree that it ceased the process of balkanization.

I know where you're going with this, but I also know it's now become very difficult to send your kid to a school in the Denver Public Schools that can be measured as a successful, safe school even by US standards. That's sad, and it's partly the result of illegal immigration. Denver has been adversely affected by this trend, and I don't think it's one that should be ignored.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm not jumping into this debate, but the statement above is incorrect. "Colorado"--as the noun or adjective is used to describe the state-- means "red" or "ruddy" in Spanish--not "colored." As in red or green chile--"chile colorado" or "chile verde."
It's cool, but the Spanish verb colorar means "to color". Thus in adjective form it's colorado.

Note: I didn't see the previous posts backing up my comment. Oops! Back to the subject at hand.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
How is that ridiculous? People have opinions about moral and legal issues. That's just a way of life. And they can be vastly different and very much influenced by culture. How is that idea ridiculous? It's not. It Great Britain, 40% of young Islamic immigrants want Sharia law enacted in the country. You think that's a healful thing for Britain? It's completely in anathema to every cultural element that has existed in the UK for centuries.
For one, I was talking about the US, Colorado and Denver in my posts. I don't live in the UK, nor do I ever plan on it.

IMO Sharia Law wouldn't be a good thing for Britain; but, the UK's current policies are the precursor to its future.

I believe change is inevitable, even if we see it occurring before our eyes, the UK has done its best to preserve its rich history, and the UK of the future may be nothing like the UK of the past. Peoples have always immigrated across lands since the beginning of recordable history, this is the natural human course. Not to mention, white-Europeans in the more developed countries simply aren't reproducing at the rate needed for generations to continue. I see assimilation of new arrivals as the future of any country, I don't see the UK ever becoming an Islamic republic.

Quote:
No, that's not exactly logical, is it? By my logic, you should get along BETTER with those who have a similar background and similar beliefs. The reasons why this is the case should be pretty obvious: we do best with those with whom we share common ground.
I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with this. If you knew me and my background(s), you would understand.

Quote:
And all these cities you mention as having high academic achievement / low crime have....high white and Asian populations with little else, for whatever reason. That's the exception I mentioned. Is that diverse? It depends on who you ask. Well, with the exception of Ramapo, which is 73% one race and no more than 8% of another.
Ramapo, NY: 17% Black, 8.2% Hispanic
Bayonne, NJ: 17.8% Hispanic, 5.5% Black
Glendale, CA: 19.7% Hispanic
Irvine, CA: 7.4% Hispanic
Diamond Bar, CA: 18.5% Hispanic

I got my stats from city-data, which gets them directly from the US Census.
Not to mention, the Asian folks in these communities come from many different backgrounds themselves.

Quote:
Think about that for a minute. Every single night the economy is front and center in the news. We measure growth relative to what other nations have and what our nation has had in the past. We're always in a race to improve ourselves. Results to the contrary produce what we have today: people losing homes, losing jobs, and having their lives wrecked. There's a point where being obscessed with success is unhealthy, but our nation hasn't hit it. We need only compare the massively poor performance in our schools relative to those in Germany, Hungary, South Korea, Japan, the UK, Singapore, China, etc.... to get that point across.
Many people that are now losing their homes were the ones that just needed to have a home, even if they couldn't really afford it. The insatiable need for greed over the past 6-7 years is the main contributor to the problems we are facing today. Some Americans expected the run-up of the economy, stock market, and housing market to never end.

Quote:
That doesn't mean the US should accept the entire third world all at once into its borders. It's not in the general interest of our nation or its citizens. Killing the golden goose is not on the menu of a wise nation. 15% of Mexico's labor force is in the US--most of it illegally. Money sent out of the US economy and back to Mexico is a massive crutch used to prop up a corrupt Mexican government which has no reason to make things better for its citizens. It's also a massive outflow of money from the US economy.
Who said that the US should accept the entire third world into its borders? The "third-worlders" that do live here, come here on their own, it's not like we are busing them over here. I don't dispute your comments on Mexico, but that 15% of the labor force more than likely can't find jobs in Mexico, and the ones they can find pay 12% of a minimum wage job in the US, if I were in their situation, that would be pretty enticing to me.

Quote:
Which would completely end if we made things a whole lot harder on illegal immigrants, who by default put themselves and their offspring off on a bad foot and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Or if legal immigration were limited to a degree that it ceased the process of balkanization.
The political powers that be, obviously do not care enough to reform/enforce immigration laws. Illegal immigrants do not leave a bad taste in my mouth, I could really care less, there are more important things to worry/think about IMO. Change is inevitable, we won't ever regress to the 1950's. If you like, you can insulate yourself in one of those corners of America that still resemble "the good old days".

You really see the US becoming "balkanized"? I highly doubt that will ever happen, our political divisions as they are, are not/will not be homogeneous enough to break away from each other.

Quote:
I know where you're going with this, but I also know it's now become very difficult to send your kid to a school in the Denver Public Schools that can be measured as a successful, safe school even by US standards. That's sad, and it's partly the result of illegal immigration. Denver has been adversely affected by this trend, and I don't think it's one that should be ignored.
I agree, but it isn't only the illegal immigrant children contributing to the decline of DPS. Absentee parents of any background IMO are the major reason for that. I find it odd that you don't hear much in the news about "all the terrible things" going on at schools in DPS. There are kids that can overcome "adversity" and become successful at one of these "unsuccessful" and "unsafe" schools. Denver is very tame compared to other major cities around the country. Denver has it pretty good IMO.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
David, I wouldn't waste your time trying to respond to racist, off-topic, flame war posts. I suggest this gentleman takes his diatribe somewhere else.

Looks like it's time again to expand that ignore list.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
David, I wouldn't waste your time trying to respond to racist, off-topic, flame war posts. I suggest this gentleman takes his diatribe somewhere else.

Looks like it's time again to expand that ignore list.
Yeah, you warned me not to, but it's hard when those cute trolls look up at you with their big eyes begging you to feed them.

I think I can name your whole ignore list!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It's cool, but the Spanish verb colorar means "to color". Thus in adjective form it's colorado.
You'd better go read up on some history instead of wolfing down some on-line Spanish dictionary. As vegas noted, the state of Colorado is named for the "reddish" or "ruddy" color commonly found in the dirt, cliffs, and rivers of the state. In that context, "Colorado" absolutely means "reddish"--and I know of no Colorado historian or linguist that would dispute that meaning (and I know a few of those type folks personally).

That said, a common urban myth is that the State of Colorado is named after the Colorado River. That really isn't correct, either. In fact, what is now known as the "Colorado River" was actually called the "Grand River" in Colorado until the 1920's. That's why place names such as Grand Lake, Grand County, Grand Valley (now known as Parachute), and Grand Junction exist. The name of the river was changed because the lower portions of the river downstream from Colorado was already known as the "Colorado River;" and because "Grand River" translated into Spanish is "Rio Grandé"--which, of course was already the name of another famous Colorado river.

Last edited by jazzlover; 02-13-2009 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM

28 posts, read 82,774 times
haha! I am not the only one! I grew up in the metro area but holy crap its become so "illegal" everywhere, I know the chicano movement started here but seriously! I lived in Albuquerque and Tucson and its not near as bad and they are CLOSER to the border. And no I am not racist! But I do have a problem with people who dont have the respect or courtesy to ATTEMPT to speak english!!! THE US bought this region from Mexico over a hundered and fifty years ago!!! ESL is fine but stop being so accomidating. If you want people to follow our laws and mesh well into society they have to assimilate and not be given special exception! i.e. its appaling that migrant workers can get expedited food stamps when tax paying legal residents can't, your rewarding there violation our immigration laws??? I don't want to see starving kids either...but thats why I donate to food banks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver