Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times

Advertisements

I would feel caught in the middle of this being (unfortunately) a freelancer in Los Angeles looking to move to Denver...except that the whole thing just seems like a cheap PR move. I don't think there will be any measurable benefit to Colorado from this thing if that's the extent of their campaign.

What's worse is that it's kind of a sloppy, blanket PR move. It's my understanding that Colorado has a very high percentage of well educated, professional types...these people just aren't starting businesses? Or perhaps the state isn't making it beneficial enough for them to start businesses? I don't know, but if California's economy is failing (for reasons beyond its useless government), I'm not sure how importing failing businesses into CO is going to serve much purpose except to exacerbate the boom / bust cycle. Does CO want the riff-raff of the California market? Because I don't see them pulling many of the higher quality or successful operations from internationally connected, coastal CA.

Of course, as I said, I don't think this "campaign" is going to make a bit of difference anyway. It's just another media distraction so the press doesn't have to do deal with *real* issues.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 AM

97 posts, read 266,320 times
The truth is that the global economy is in one of the worst recessions in a long time. Unemployment is everywhere and growing but businesses are seeking more favorable business climates in which to relocate. CO is but one of a number of states that CA businesses are seeking out.

Our company relocated its HQ here and we have poured millions into this state, sure we're a small company, but we're doing our part . The nativist angle is just another shade of bigotry, I understand that is just a base part of human nature, the "we don't like outsiders; they ruin the quality of life" is understandable and true in a sense, but broadbrush statements are just intellectually shallow attempts to make quick rebuttal.

I won't hate back the "haters"; haters will always be around, I'll just do my part to try and make the community, state, country, and world I live in a better place. Hopefully there will just be more of us positive community builders than haters, who knows, maybe by not returning their hate, some might just turn and love their neighbors instead of perpetually resenting them.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
STOP CALIFORNICATING COLORADO!!!! PRESERVE COLORADO CULTURE! Some guy from LA moved to our quiet neighborhood in Greenwood Village (one of the last to have big yards with lots of acreage), CO last year. The neighborhood had to band together to stop him from building a 10,000 square foot eyesore in the middle of the other modest homes with beautiful yards. When I asked him why in the world he would want to move to a place like Colorado, where everyone enjoys the outdoors, only to build a giant home that would keep him cooped up all the time, he replied, "Because I can!" Enough said. CO doesn't love CA. The end.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddmudd View Post
JazzLover is correct! For one thing how does begging companies from California translates to jobs in Colorado? It is illogical reasoning and the same people who are from California who are trying to convert every state into a big Cali state.

Who says the companies are going to move to Colorado? Most likely it is the poor, the desparate, the A-holes, the con-man who can't find work in Cali who are misled in thinking that there are jobs here. It is only going to add to the desparate local job market here in Colorado.

Personally, the Californians who have came or transplanted here did nothing but inflated the housing market, added to the traffic congestion, promoted egocentric attitudes of self-glory and overall spread their annoying crap everywhere.

This Colorado loves California slogan is made up by opportunists who either don't have a clue what their bad advertising campaign is doing to the great of Colorado. Contributing it into another California or LA LA land.

The Colorado low self-esteem of itself should stop! You should be proud of what and who you are. You don't need to be another LA or California to justify yourself as a U.S. City or a U.S. State. See how screwed up those cities and states are and ask yourself, do you want to be another one in the next few years?

And Yes, I am a transplant not a native but I've lived here long enough to see how Californians try to put a wool over alot of Coloradans eyes and convince them that they won't change your way of life and we wont take away your jobs while slowly screwing them over and shoving them over into a small corner.

Ask the Californians why they are hated here? It is not just Colorado that hates them. They hate them more in Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana..etc. IF they are so noble and great like they say they are, why do so many states hate them....They are going to play the victim card and claim that only Coloradans hate them, Don't believe them! Alot of people don't care or want them here.

All this has done is polarize peoples feelings to stop "Californating Colorado"
What of those of us who want to leave CA because we dislike the same things about it that you do? Do we get lumped in with those that you perceive want to "Californicate" your state, and treated like outcasts? I think they call that attitude provincial, and it isn't a good reputation for any place to have.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
We are a 55+ professional couple who are planning to move from the central coast of CA (San Luis Obispo area) to Denver area, and would appreciate any honest, helpful insights about the real estate market (we're looking for a smaller, single family home or townhome) near a suburban setting. We have no kids, just 2 cats. My husband plans to teach voice-over acting, and we'll both be operating our recording business for voice productions for the telecom format. My husband is a disabled Vietnam-era vet who will need to be closer to VA hospital for treatments and oversight. As a couple who are easy to adapt, and interested in learning about Denver life, we'd much appreciate some tips. We like to give back to the community we live in, so it would be nice to know how we might best fit in to the local scene. By the way, we LOVE unique restaurants!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:11 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
I think CO is trying to benefit from CA's plunging economy...businesses must be leaving there in droves, CO may as well get some of 'em!
The state of California is driving away businesses and if a corporation is looking to relocate to Colorado, I say "Bring it on!" It will only benefit us while further proving that punishing businesses through high taxes and overregulation is a surefire way to kill an economy. California is a beautiful state and if companies are moving out in droves, it should say something to those running their government.

As for those who make blanket statements that Coloradans hate Californians, I can only say that this is 100% false. We don't care where you're from as long as you contribute to our state in a positive way. Walking around our city proclaiming how "cow town" it is because we don't have certain restaurants or grocery stores that are in California is a surefire way not to make friends. Selling your dinky house in California and buying a McMansion with 5 rooms and 2000 square feet you don't need and then declaring how "cheap" it is to live here is another way to not make friends. Driving hell-for-leather on our freeways and cutting in and out of traffic in your Cadillac Escalades with a bumpersticker that says "I'd rather be in California" is a quick way to get a one-finger salute from a Coloradan. Colorado is a state full of transplants and we welcome everyone who actually wants to live here...but it's not California and we don't want to be told how much better things are in your old state.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddmudd View Post
It is not just Colorado that hates them. They hate them more in Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana..etc.
This is a true statement. My roommate in college was from California. She drove her car up to Washington state and the very first day she was sitting at a stop light right near our university and someone actually pulled up next to her, rolled down their window and yelled "Go back to California" and then threw a Starbucks cup at her (VERY Washington, BTW). This was in 1991.

I also have heard similar stories from people with California plates being harassed in Arizona too.

Again, I say...no one knows you're from California unless you walk around declaring it. If you are moving to our state, you need to get your license plates changed anyway and after that, there is nothing that would indicate you're from California unless you tell people. Colorado isn't California. With a few exceptions (like our media who seemed embarassed to be from Colorado when the DNC came into town), we picked Colorado for a reason and enjoy it for what it does offer. We're landlocked so we don't want to hear about the gorgeous beaches you have. It snows here so we don't want to hear stories about how much better it is to celebrate Christmas in shorts. No one says you HAVE to move here...there are plenty of people who stay and decline a transfer so if you can't imagine your life outside of California and will be a miserable neighbor if you move here, then please, for the love of God, stay where you are.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Considering this is the post that bumped up the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Studios View Post
We are a 55+ professional couple who are planning to move from the central coast of CA (San Luis Obispo area) to Denver area, and would appreciate any honest, helpful insights about the real estate market (we're looking for a smaller, single family home or townhome) near a suburban setting. We have no kids, just 2 cats. My husband plans to teach voice-over acting, and we'll both be operating our recording business for voice productions for the telecom format. My husband is a disabled Vietnam-era vet who will need to be closer to VA hospital for treatments and oversight. As a couple who are easy to adapt, and interested in learning about Denver life, we'd much appreciate some tips. We like to give back to the community we live in, so it would be nice to know how we might best fit in to the local scene. By the way, we LOVE unique restaurants!
, maybe we could help this couple instead of raking up old bones.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 PM

94 posts, read 245,806 times
CA people ruined their state and can't afford to live there anymore. Next they will ruin ours.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
This is a true statement. My roommate in college was from California. She drove her car up to Washington state and the very first day she was sitting at a stop light right near our university and someone actually pulled up next to her, rolled down their window and yelled "Go back to California" and then threw a Starbucks cup at her (VERY Washington, BTW). This was in 1991.

I also have heard similar stories from people with California plates being harassed in Arizona too.

Again, I say...no one knows you're from California unless you walk around declaring it. If you are moving to our state, you need to get your license plates changed anyway and after that, there is nothing that would indicate you're from California unless you tell people. Colorado isn't California. With a few exceptions (like our media who seemed embarassed to be from Colorado when the DNC came into town), we picked Colorado for a reason and enjoy it for what it does offer. We're landlocked so we don't want to hear about the gorgeous beaches you have. It snows here so we don't want to hear stories about how much better it is to celebrate Christmas in shorts. No one says you HAVE to move here...there are plenty of people who stay and decline a transfer so if you can't imagine your life outside of California and will be a miserable neighbor if you move here, then please, for the love of God, stay where you are.
How rude, backwards, tacky, and completely unsophisticated. I don't know what in the hell is wrong with the neighboring states of CA. Are people retarded or something? Maybe lacking in self-worth or wallowing in failed opportunities, underachievement, and misery. Idiot coward in WA sees someone driving with a CA plate, so he yells out of his window and throws a Starbucks cup at the woman in her vehicle? How primitive, short-sighted, barbaric, vile, and uncivilized. It's the reason why I have no interest in any of the surrounding Godforsaken states. Not interested in being around such rejects. If we ever decided to leave CA, we'd probably head to Wisconsin, New England, or the New York area.

Not interested in being around a bunch of wild western goons in neighboring states who blame CA for their own shortcomings. CO works for you...good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver