Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Mild snow, bad Ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM

38 posts, read 121,711 times
I have never been to Seattle, but Denver has extreme weather and only 2 seasons, Winter and Summer. I too came from California. I heard the people are friendlier in Seattle and awesome seafood. There are good restaurants here, but not sure on the freshness since we are landlocked, ha.
This is a good place to live if you like to ski and love to be housebound once in a while due to the extreme weather.
Cost of living is not less here and land is not plentiful, smaller yards.
best of luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover6 View Post
I have never been to Seattle, but Denver has extreme weather and only 2 seasons, Winter and Summer. I too came from California. I heard the people are friendlier in Seattle and awesome seafood. There are good restaurants here, but not sure on the freshness since we are landlocked, ha.
This is a good place to live if you like to ski and love to be housebound once in a while due to the extreme weather.
Cost of living is not less here and land is not plentiful, smaller yards.
best of luck.
as a person who loves both...I wish to respectfully disagree with ya in a friendly manner if you dont mind. I agree with you that food and gas are about the same. Prop taxes are much more in Seatte, Housing is much more expensive if your buying a house in seattle.

With that said, seattle is much prettier than Denver....and I think it draws more from California and thats why its more expensive.

Denver if your a sports fan is the ultimate dream, and yes, I am one of the biggest BRONCO fans the world has ever known. I wore my Bronco gear in Seatte and never got a second look. Seattle should hate the broncos...they beat the crap out of them for many years. Wear a Oakland Raider outfit in Denver and I think you might get noticed.

That dry air in Denver sure is nice. That sunshine and how come no one ever remarks about the Denver Sunsets....the sky turns orange. It is incredible. People are more friendly in Denver.

Seattle has higher paying jobs. Seattle has a higher min wage too so all around more income which no doubt is wasted on the higher mortgage.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Please see below thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Seattle and Denver are both unfriendly for different reasons.

All of my family lives in Colorado. They are scattered around the state including the Denver. We moved there in 1971 from the east coast and I lived there until leaving after college in 1985.

Colorado has an inherently weak economy with no real middle class. What exists is a small group of people living really well that typically came in with their money from somewhere else. They are surrounded by a local majority often living at the survival level.

This is what drives the "nativist" phenomena. Denver is part of this. Colorado does not have a friendly social milieu. And if you move there without money, yes you'll find a job but typically it will be low wage work. And usually the first question anyone will ask you is where you are from and based on that information decide whether or not they “like” you. The whole situation can be really stupid.

I currently live in Seattle and I am working on returning to Phoenix where I lived before moving here in 2001. I cam here for career reasons but can't stand the people and I am getting out.

You can get more information on the social reality of Seattle by doing a search on the term "Seattle freeze". The term refers to the people not the climate. You will discover all you need to know and hopefully not waste time here like I have.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post

All of my family lives in Colorado. They are scattered around the state including the Denver. We moved there in 1971 from the east coast and I lived there until leaving after college in 1985.

Colorado has an inherently weak economy with no real middle class. What exists is a small group of people living really well that typically came in with their money from somewhere else. They are surrounded by a local majority often living at the survival level.

This is what drives the "nativist" phenomena. Denver is part of this. Colorado does not have a friendly social milieu. And if you move there without money, yes you'll find a job but typically it will be low wage work. And usually the first question anyone will ask you is where you are from and based on that information decide whether or not they “like” you. The whole situation can be really stupid.

I currently live in Seattle and I am working on returning to Phoenix where I lived before moving here in 2001. I cam here for career reasons but can't stand the people and I am getting out.

You can get more information on the social reality of Seattle by doing a search on the term "Seattle freeze". The term refers to the people not the climate. You will discover all you need to know and hopefully not waste time here like I have.
i would say that any "nativist" mentality - that comes even from total non-natives, btw - might also have a bit to do with less exposure to non-natives (or non- mid-/mountain-westerners) than you can get elsewhere. it can be a bit of a "i don't understand you" thing because the history of the place for a century or more has been one of a big flux of people that then became somewhat isolated relative to a place on a coast, or a chicago, e.g.. homesteaders. cowboys. ranchers. farmers from the midwest that recently moved here as the agro-economy changes. you can still feel a little of that in this area. there's also a political atmosphere that can be sort of "hands off" and sometimes more conservative than you might expect for a RELATIVELY liberal denver (relative to much of colorado, the mountain west, or midwest, anyhow), which can diffuse into (and derive from) the mentality. then of course there's the huge influx of mexicans and californians - and the somewhat prejudiced (for some reason in some cases) uneasiness in some people with anything that even SEEMS new york-ish or northeastern. denver-ites (and the transplants that make up much of it) can seem friendly at first, but can seem more cliquish as you get more familiar...at least if you come from a california or a new york, e.g.. most new yorkers i know leave in a few years. i know no new york city or boston transplants in denver, and very few DC transplants. telling? can't know.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 24,199 times
Default well-considered post

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post

i like this. kind of clears the air a bit. you must have moved there as an early adolescent..?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
That has not been my experience at all. Not even in Boulder does everyone live on a "trust fund". Most people come here to work. The locals are not all out digging ditches, or flipping burgers at McDonald's for the trust funders. Most of them are working at every type of job available, just like everyone else.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 PM

249 posts, read 1,030,140 times
One middle class Denverite here! I beg to differ completely - are you talking Denver proper or are you speaking of Denver metro because the demographics are a little different. That's why it's really important to get different opinions from different people who live very different lives all in our fair city. Oh, and I really think the people here are very happy and friendly>

Oh, and I haven't gotten a cent from my family just years and years of school!!! and the student loans to prove it!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 AM

23 posts, read 107,056 times
My background: Grew up on the east coast, went to CU Boulder for college, and got my first job out in Seattle. These are my feelings on the two cities.

Weather:

Denver:
Summer: Sunny... yes... but HOT! You're guaranteed one week out of every summer to have the oppressive 90 degree days with the sun baking you where you stand. Also, Denver itself tends to get its share of severe thunderstorms. I almost had a twister come down on top of me driving to the airport once.

Winter: Wild! weather like people have said. 65 and sunny frisbee weather one day, burried under 2 feet of snow the next, playing frisbee in the snow in your shorts the day after that. And the possibility of wild weather never really goes away We actually had a blizzard the day after classes were let out for the summer in May!!

Seattle:
Summer: Gorgeous! never gets far above 80 (if it ever hits 90, people start freaking out, seriously). Also, Seattle gets almost NO rain in the summer. I think I've seen 3 thunderstorms in the 3 summers I have been here, and they were more off in the distance than in the city. It just stays pleasant and dry for 3 straight months.

Winter: While it does not rain much volume wise, it's usually stretched out over days and days and days (the depressing drearyness everyone talks about. But its not so bad after a season or two. what I really found to be depressing is how short the days are in winter (A full hour less of daylight here than in Denver, I've looked it up). Just imagine 5 whole months of coming home in darkness, even if you leave early. Of course then you get the opposite effect in summer where its still light out at 10pm.

Edge:...meh.... toss up. Summer in Seattle, Winter in Denver (I like snow and dont mind cold).

Transportation:

Denver:
Public: Bus system is great, light rail is awesome, and it just keeps getting better. I didn't own a car while I was in school, and I was able to get all the way from Boulder to Colorado springs just on Denver City Buses.

By Car: T-Rex messed things up for a while in I-25, but I hear things have gotten lots better since they finished construction. 36 out of Boulder in the morning was pretty bad as well. Otherwise, not too familiar with driving during rush-hour.

Seattle:
Public: Very extensive bus system with many different providers (but they are prone to getting stuck in Traffic). Seattle is building its light rail system now, but it wont be going anywhere useful until 2018 (Northgate to the Airport). That being said, once it is done, the public transit will be pretty peachy.

By Car: Not only does traffic suck (I-5 and I-405 are always parking lots at rush-hour), but the roads are so convoluted and mishmashed that you are always lost. Also Seattle has so many bridges and freeways that need safety and seismic upgrades that it will be a good 20 years before its all done and working again.

Edge: Denver by far

People:
Contrary to all the stereotyping going on, both cities are so large and diverse that I'm sure you'd find the right group of people to be friends with in either city, and you'll also find your share of *******s too.

Entertainment:

Seattle:
Performing arts/music: A top flight Symphony, multiple quality theaters, a huge indie cinema commuinty (SIFF was awesome!), its the home of Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, good comedy clubs, etc.

Sports: Seachickens, and the Mariners are most popular but are perpetual disappointments. Sonics are embroiled in a relocation mess right now (will they?... Wont they?...) and without a new arena, the city will never have an NHL team. We did just get awarded an MLS franchise and they sold 8,000 season tickets in 6 days. Also, the Huskies are great to watch for football and basketball.

Bars Scene: Pioneer Square, Capitol Hill, Belltwon, Ballard, Fremont, etc. etc. Lots of good places to whet your whistle.

Restaurants: Heavy on the Asian and Seafood which is perfectly fine by me.

Denver:
Performing arts/music: Cant say I know much about it...? Boulder had cool concerts?

Sports: Home of the Broncos, Avs, Melo and the Nuggets, the Surprising Rockies, the Rapids, The Crush, The Mammouth, CU Buffs, DU Pioneers, and on and on and on.

Bar Scene: SoDo? Coyote Ugly? Pearl street had good bars in Boulder, but otherwise I wasn't old enough to enjoy it before I left school

Restaurants: Good Mexican all around and a special nod to Le Centrale (good friend in college was the son of the owner).

Edge:
Performing arts: Seattle
Sports: Denver
Bar Scene: Seattle
Restaurants: Seattle

Outdoors:

Seattle: Sailing, Hiking, Skiing (tho not as good or close as in Denver), and just plain walking when the weather is nice. Lots of big parks, but all a little far away from down town.

Denver: No sailing, but all other similar activities, and longer period of time to do them in. I guess it depends on your preference.

Edge: Tie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver